• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

Just now, Packfill said:

My understanding of "Hawks DNA" was that it had more to do with effort, attitude and aptitude than physical profile.  Maybe I am wrong on that.

Hmm. That's interesting. We could unfurl many of those things some players at the top may not have. And if you have that DNA perhaps Clingan does seperate himself. I do know he has some edge to him. I'll always take that.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm just throwing out conspiracy theories on what Hawks DNA means to Landry.  

I know...ha 

The conversation on Sarr's pros and cons is happening more places than just here.  I post more of his cons only because I think they are harder to comprehend.  His pros are pretty well understood, but the cons require a more nuanced discussion.    

Here's some of the conversation on Reddit:
image.png.918d703443a17072640d21854346b032.png

1. SOFT at the rim and every aspect of the game. 
2. LOW MOTOR. 
3. Bad hands

image.png.e987bd5b8fd170e6fb39df27a60d12fb.png

People say Sarr is the perfect fit with Trae.  Not really true.  

I don't know when ya'll gonna be more disappointed, during the draft or during the season when he can't come off the bench for Houston, Washington, or San Antonio. 

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't know when ya'll gonna be more disappointed, during the draft or during the season when he can't come off the bench for Houston, Washington, or San Antonio. 

You say that like those teams have a bunch of better options on their bench. Sarr may not be polished, but he can help a basketball team win games if the coaching is there to get him to understand his role on the team.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Good one Supes. Or not. I'm resigned to the fact the Clingan is their choice by most accounts. But if you don't think he's got plenty to work on to be viable, I don't know what to say. He's ready to play but how much so? Yes...I'm banking on Sarr's improvement..significantly. But it may be a moot point. No crying in basketball I guess.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Does anyone have links to videos of Clingan defending outside the paint?  I'm looking around for that.   That's my biggest concern followed by him ever being able to shoot.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

You say that like those teams have a bunch of better options on their bench. Sarr may not be polished, but he can help a basketball team win games if the coaching is there to get him to understand his role on the team.

No he can't, he's a negative offensively right now, he hurts teams right now. It's all upside with this kid

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

No he can't, he's a negative offensively right now, he hurts teams right now. It's all upside with this kid

He does too much on offense too often, but reigning in a player isn't hard if you can effectively communicate with them. It's not like he's incapable of playing within the structure of an offense. What he needs is a coach that'll get him to master the fundamental skills a center needs, and accept the flashy plays he attempts to make along with it.  I'll take the aggressive player who's trying to make something happen and work with that. A guy like Clingan may know his role, but we need upside with this pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

The conversation on Sarr's pros and cons is happening more places than just here.  I post more of his cons only because I think they are harder to comprehend.  His pros are pretty well understood, but the cons require a more nuanced discussion.    

Here's some of the conversation on Reddit:
image.png.918d703443a17072640d21854346b032.png

1. SOFT at the rim and every aspect of the game. 
2. LOW MOTOR. 
3. Bad hands

image.png.e987bd5b8fd170e6fb39df27a60d12fb.png

People say Sarr is the perfect fit with Trae.  Not really true.  

That's not why you post his cons.  You don't want Sarr, just say it..lol. We get it. He's raw and that's not for everyone.  It's fine to like other prospects more.

My draft philosophy is swing for upside. His defense sets a pretty decent floor for me and if he hits his offensive best outcome, you have a two way star.  Those chances may be slim, but I'd take the risk. 

54 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He can come off the bench here.  You are pushing for a more ready player. I think they should use trades and free agency to address that.  The draft is where you can take a swing on a high upside player for long term success. 

Y'all....

There is no such thing as 'Hawks DNA'. I'm sorry. Laundry and the K-Man made it up. 

Y'all are just gonna have to suck it up and be good boys and girl for Santa. After his Saturday night with the Easter bunny. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

i'm just not seeing how anyone can watch this and say his offensive floor is low??

On D he looks like Smoove a little but granted it's a 7'1" Smoove. 

The Hawks ownership should be forced to sell the team like Atlanta Spirit had to if they don't draft Sarr.  The tape between Sarr and Clingan ain't even in the same ballpark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Does anyone have links to videos of Clingan defending outside the paint?  I'm looking around for that.   That's my biggest concern followed by him ever being able to shoot.  

Bigfoot footage is easier to find.  You HAVE to play Clingan in a drop defense which is exactly what you don't want with the Hawks because of the Hawks small backcourt.  Boston showed that you want defenders who can cover the entire floor.  Porzingas did it effectively.  Heck, they play Tatum at the FIVE.  At the FIVE.  Teams would roast the Hawks defense by just shooting jumpers with Clingan posted at the drop level.  I believe you can get backscreens off Clingan also.  Dude too slow.

217f22a5a8476ced6873be516c9a023a.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

So are we trading OO if we take Clingan?

We're definitely not playing JJ, OO, and Clingan together...... 

Or is he a career backup here?

JJ/ Clingan isn't the best fit either....

You think it could work?

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrell said:

You think it could work?

pretty sure Quin views Clingan as his next Rudy Gobert project

I expect OO and Capela to get traded for a SF wing and a backup Center

Also I think Quin really really wants to return to drop with Clingan as anchor

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrell said:

You think it could work?

I wouldn't be surprised if OO is dealt for wing help and CC is retained.

• Like 2