• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:
NBA Central: The Atlanta Hawks have been unable to bring in Alex Starr for a workout, and Donovan Clingan is a real candidate to go No. 1, per @DraftExpress “The Hawks have been unable to bring Alex Sarr in for a workout to this point, but the door remains open for that to potentially pic.twitter.com/dtGhPCxYF7

This is just more smoke. It totally contradicts what the resident insiders said just a week ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member

Bringing Sarr in for a secret workout makes no sense lol why would the Hawks need to bring him in as a secret when we have the number one pick?  It would be different if a mid lottery team was looking to trade up and snatch him from someone but we control the board.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

They haven't even been able to bring him in for a workout.

See here:

56 minutes ago, thecampster said:

and the insiders have not been saying Sarr.

Screenshot_20240619_114030_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Seems like the insiders are getting played by their sauces..lol

I don't want to know what the Hawks are doing anymore. I'm just going to let who they draft and the moves they make afterwards dictate my actions. Mainly the moves after the draft.

Muck this up and this life long Hawks fan is done with this crapfest.

What's weird is how people get so worked up about unsubstantiated rumors and the like. Wouldn't it make more sense to save your dismay until something actually happens?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

What's weird is how people get so worked up about unsubstantiated rumors and the like. Wouldn't it make more sense to save your dismay until something actually happens?

I'll add that, if the Hawks continue to be cheap and not try to fill out the roster with competent players, I'm done. I don't care if they go into the tax or not. I care if they see holes on the roster, but don't try to do anything about them to stay under the tax.  

I just want them to make moves to sure up the weaknesses on this roster this off season. It doesn't have to be a super star or anything. Just some players who play good defense and can shoot. Just do something that improves the team. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Just do something that improves the team.

That's asking a lot, though... me, for all my bitchin and whinin and moanin, I didn't even require that much, Marco...

I only asked that they not do something that makes the team worse.

Well, nah, that's not even precisely accurate... I would have been fine with making the team worse if it was a new episode of fire sale and tanking, with a new eye toward a rebuild.

To the main topic here, though, I'm intrigued to see that the poll so far shows Sarr in a landslide... trading for a vet gets a little support, and then Cling a little less... and then, there's that other option, trading down, for which there is but one single vote. And in a draft where there is so much agreement that this is not a year that a features a no-doubter talent like would be getting picked ordinarily... @thecampster I'd love to read your thoughts on why you come to the conclusion you do. 🙂 My sense is that most reject the idea out of hand simply because it feels... feels... wrong to wait all this time, finally get that #1 slot, only to give it up. But my sense is that maybe that foreclosure could be misguided... maybe there's all the more reason given the draft stock inventory, to consider a trade down.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'll add that, if the Hawks continue to be cheap and not try to fill out the roster with competent players, I'm done. I don't care if they go into the tax or not. I care if they see holes on the roster, but don't try to do anything about them to stay under the tax.  

I just want them to make moves to sure up the weaknesses on this roster this off season. It doesn't have to be a super star or anything. Just some players who play good defense and can shoot. Just do something that improves the team. 

The same.  I've been following this clown show since around 1978.  I'm already on the fence about the Hawks because of the telecasts being moved to Amazon Prime.  I'm cutting back on these subscriptions while these pro leagues are spreading their products out across all these different platforms.  I'm not gonna chase them like that.  ESPN purportedly has a app coming out that this fall which is gonna have their sports content along with Fox and Warner Brothers (TNT, Turner, etc.). If it happens I'm stopping right there.  I'm not chasing the Hawks to Amazon Prime and they continue with this foolishness.  Thats not happening.

• Like 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, thecampster said:

We watched him play, but there was no official workout. See the official workout list I posted.

The official workout list is acknowledged by everyone to be under inclusive.  (I’m talking generally - everyone admits there are workouts that never get publicly reported.)  That doesn’t mean there was a Sarr workout but just because something isn’t on the publicly reported list doesn’t mean you can rule it out.

• Like 2

FYi, the question was asked in this forum as a reply to the poll. Feel free to move it to the Edey forum when ready.

[Edit:  thecampster's detailed response to sturt's question opining on Edey is now located on the edey thread:]

1 hour ago, sturt said:

That's asking a lot, though... me, for all my bitchin and whinin and moanin, I didn't even require that much, Marco...

Well, nah, that's not even precisely accurate... I would have been fine with making the team worse if it was a new episode of fire sale and tanking, with a new eye toward a rebuild.

To the main topic here, though, I'm intrigued to see that the poll so far shows Sarr in a landslide... trading for a vet gets a little support, and then Cling a little less... and then, there's that other option, trading down, for which there is but one single vote. And in a draft where there is so much agreement that this is not a year that a features a no-doubter talent like would be getting picked ordinarily... @thecampster I'd love to read your thoughts on why you come to the conclusion you do. 🙂 My sense is that most reject the idea out of hand simply because it feels... feels... wrong to wait all this time, finally get that #1 slot, only to give it up. But my sense is that maybe that foreclosure could be misguided... maybe there's all the more reason given the draft stock inventory, to consider a trade down.

and to answer the question as intended, the player you'd target in my listed scenario can be had at 4/5/7-9 depending on how the draft goes. Why not trade down to 4/8 or 7/14, get that player and then get a second pick for a shot at Shepherd/Knecht/Holland or whomever else you fancy.

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Now rather than ask me why I'm the only one saying trade down, what you should be asking is who are the 7 people who said "Trade for a star vet".  

The Hawks with the value of this pick are pretty much guaranteed to cross the 2nd LT threshold. What that means is that in order to trade this pick for a star player (say one making $30 million+), we'd have to also package about $25 million in salary with it. This still leaves us pretty much right at the 2nd LT threshold while losing Clint + a bench player and needing to fill that role. There is nearly no plausible opportunity to flip that pick for a star player based on our cap situation. We'd either have to shed $50 million in salary first or package matching salary along with the pick and honestly that's way stupider than anything I said in my response.  7 people responded they'd do something almost impossible and significantly destructive to roster construction/the cap going forward.  Best to aim those questions at them.

• Like 1

For the 49 people who responded Sarr, maybe you should ask them the following, what evidence do they have that he'll play significant positive minutes this year and will be able to stay on the floor vs big centers. Whose minutes between Clint's, OO's, Jalen's will he take or what will his WAR be against those 3 players? And lastly ask them how we'll sign any impactful vet with only $3 million under the 2nd LT threshold.