• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

Cough cough, ahem......where have I heard he isn't a 5 before?

Cough, Cough.  The Celtics just won their 18th NBA Championship playing Tatum at the 5 occasionally.  In fact, the versatility of Sarr playing either the 4 or 5 should be looked upon as a positive.  You can also play him at the point of attack like the Celtics do with Tatum and Porzingas. They put the clamps on Luka and Irving at the point of attack.   The Celtics have the blueprint.  They don't play a traditional big in the middle as their base defense.  They are versatile:

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

Sounds to me like Sarr is going #1, and if somebody else wants the top spot they're gonna have to meet our trade demands. Sarr may very well prefer Washington, but if they aren't trading with us I refuse to believe we're taking an inferior prospect. That isn't to say that Sarr is guaranteed to have a better career than anyone else. But his skillset is unique in a big man and we can afford to wait for him to develop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I wanted Sarr for the Hawks.  If he doesn't want to be here, that makes a difference.

Clingan fits, if we dump Capela, which seems to be the plans.  I wonder, can he hit his free throws?

:bb:

Ok.  Lets back up.  For years I've heard that such and such Free Agent does not want to sign with the Hawks.  The latest rumor I heard was Pascal Siakam.  Whether its true or not, lets assume its true. If you are the Hawks the ONLY way you can get a potential superstar in that scenario is through the draft.  You are not caring what Sarr or his camp is saying you are drafting him. Is Sarr is gonna tank his OWN career by not playing hard for the Hawks if they draft him?  Folks are not using Logic.  Whether its true Sarr doesn't want to come to Atlanta OR this is just more gaslighting by folks who want Clingan in Atlanta, it doesn't matter.   If Sarr isn't the pick the Hawks are not serious about a NBA Championship and their history has shown it.  Luka, Pascal,and now Sarr?

And if Atlanta doesn't draft Sarr, his entire career will be followed like Luka's on this board and folks will attempt to justify the Hawks not drafting him, like Luka.  

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Add Haliburton to that list too.

Thats wild. I wasn't aware of that. I looked it up and sure enough the rumor is Haliburton told Atlanta and Cleveland not to draft him.  Again you don't let a draft player dictate to you if you are the Hawks.  At worst that player will come into your organization, play hard, and then move when they become a unrestricted free agent.  Thats worst case scenario.  The thing is if you build correctly the player most likely will change his mind and want to stay anyway.  I like Haliburton as a player.  He snuck up on me. Thanks for bringing that up!

image0__4_.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

If we aren't drafting Sarr, I'd rather just trade way down for future assets or something and roll the dice on Edey.  

Welcome to the right team!!!

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Mat 7:13-14)  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

Who gives a shit what Sarr's camp wants.  Draft him, he's not the first player to prefer one place and get drafted to another.  See Tatum, Zion, etc.  

This is such a terrible reason to not draft someone.  We need to stop being pansies.

Risacher is going to bust so hard and he wont be ready for at least 3 seasons.  He's Hunter IMO.   The dude weighs 190, he's like 20 lbs less than Durant coming out of school, and WAY less talented.  And has a 31" vertical?  How are we even considering this guy?

Clingan will be a solid, never great C.  Can't shoot, can't space the floor which we need, not a great lob threat.  But he will be solid.  

If we aren't drafting Sarr, I'd rather just trade way down for future assets or something and roll the dice on Edey.  

I was feeling you up to the trade down and roll the dice on Edey part.  Other than that, yes you draft Sarr regardless of what he or his camp is saying.  The Hawks haven't been in a NBA finals since the 1950s and gonna let a draft pick dictate to THEM?

2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Ok.  Lets back up.  For years I've heard that such and such Free Agent does not want to sign with the Hawks.  The latest rumor I heard was Pascal Siakam.  Whether its true or not, lets assume its true. If you are the Hawks the ONLY way you can get a potential superstar in that scenario is through the draft.  You are not caring what Sarr or his camp is saying you are drafting him. Is Sarr is gonna tank his OWN career by not playing hard for the Hawks if they draft him?  Folks are not using Logic.  Whether its true Sarr doesn't want to come to Atlanta OR this is just more gaslighting by folks who want Clingan in Atlanta, it doesn't matter.   If Sarr isn't the pick the Hawks are not serious about a NBA Championship and their history has shown it.  Luka, Pascal,and now Sarr?

And if Atlanta doesn't draft Sarr, his entire career will be followed like Luka's on this board and folks will attempt to justify the Hawks not drafting him, like Luka.  

I do wish the Hawks would at least leak more about how Clingan is undoubtedly worthy of #1. 

Post some clips from his workout or something. 

Cause, yeah, allowing the "Sarr doesn't want to be here" angle to be the only justification out there for you going Clingan at 1.....isnt good for anybody involved. And that's the strongest narrative out there at the moment. 

You can't let your #1 picks career start off with the giant cloud of "yeah but you weren't actuallyyyyy the top guy" hanging over all of our heads. 

Trae is strong enough to handle all the criticism he gets. Let's not just make that criticism the baseline for ALL of our players. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Who gives a shit what Sarr's camp wants.  Draft him, he's not the first player to prefer one place and get drafted to another.  See Tatum, Zion, etc.  

This is such a terrible reason to not draft someone.  We need to stop being pansies.

Risacher is going to bust so hard and he wont be ready for at least 3 seasons.  He's Hunter IMO.   The dude weighs 190, he's like 20 lbs less than Durant coming out of school, and WAY less talented.  And has a 31" vertical?  How are we even considering this guy?

Clingan will be a solid, never great C.  Can't shoot, can't space the floor which we need, not a great lob threat.  But he will be solid.  

Exactly..

Banchero was so sure he was going #3 he never made it a priority to go to Magic. Pretty sure him and his agent were clearly trying to avoid the magic anyway.

Draft Sarr and make him work extra hard for being such a PITA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:laugh1:

If he thinks he's gonna get ALOT of shots up on a team with Kuz and Jordan Poole,  we need to stay the hell away from him.........because he's obviously......

cray-cray-paula-abdul.gif.0704f08c1be300b3afd368d9814f4058.gif

• Haha 1