• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think should go 1st overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

8 hours ago, terrell said:

Not sure if this has been posted here, but.......

I keep thinking I don’t like either option at #1.  Gun to my head it’s Sarr, but I’m really close to taking Clingan.  Continue to hope for a trade out of #1 where we get a surprisingly good offer from a team that wants to move up.

If other teams value Sarr as a future star level player, shouldn’t we see offers that reflect that?  I know people are very cynical towards our FO, but I think they could figure out how to manage a bidding war…if there is one.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I keep thinking I don’t like either option at #1.  Gun to my head it’s Sarr, but I’m really close to taking Clingan.  Continue to hope for a trade out of #1 where we get a surprisingly good offer from a team that wants to move up.

If other teams value Sarr as a future star level player, shouldn’t we see offers that reflect that?  I know people are very cynical towards our FO, but I think they could figure out how to manage a bidding war…if there is one.  

The tent poles for Alex Sarr to become a high level starter are there.  I’m really wondering if the mentality is there though.  I think he sees himself as a #1 option on offense, and I think his team feels like the best path for him to get there is Washington.  I think, if he hits all of his swing skills, he’s still a 3rd or 4th offensive option on a good team.  I think he needs to lean heavily into what will be his calling card in the NBA.  Defense.  That’s his ticket to early playing time.  

I think he has more raw ability than Clingan, but I think Clingan is more willing to master what his role will be in the NBA.  For that reason, I think the Hawks rate him higher than Sarr.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The tent poles for Alex Sarr to become a high level starter are there.  I’m really wondering if the mentality is there though.  I think he sees himself as a #1 option on offense, and I think his team feels like the best path for him to get there is Washington.  I think, if he hits all of his swing skills, he’s still a 3rd or 4th offensive option on a good team.  I think he needs to lean heavily into what will be his calling card in the NBA.  Defense.  That’s his ticket to early playing time.  

I think he has more raw ability than Clingan, but I think Clingan is more willing to master what his role will be in the NBA.  For that reason, I think the Hawks rate him higher than Sarr.  

You're probably right about the Hawks thought process, but I hope that isn't how they're coming to conclusion. At the end of the day, there is a limit on how valuable rim protection from a big is if they don't move well in space. Every team won't be able to exploit Clingan, but the best teams in the league will. Gobert doesn't have the same impact in the playoffs and Clingan will have a similar fate no matter how good his rim protection is.

Obviously it's no guarantee Sarr reaches his potential, but it's a bet we should be willing to make. 7 footers aren't supposed to move as well as Sarr does. If we develop him properly he's the center we've truly needed this whole time. As far as I'm concerned, any offense Sarr ends up producing on his own is a surplus, we need his defensive versatility the most.

45 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I generally agree with this - to me Sarr is a defense first prospect but he needs to lean into that.  If the offense comes then yes he has akk-NBA upside but on a team like the Hawks they need his defense first and foremost. 

I imagine Sarr likes Washington because they will definitely trade Kuzma, whether this off-season or at the trading deadline, to open up shots and opportunity and he will have free range to do whatever he wants offensively since the pressure to win will not be there.  

Is Sarr buddies with Bilal?

23 hours ago, KB21 said:

I’m a big believer in you are who you’ve been.  Sarr has never been a central part of his team’s offense.  He can’t catch passes or shoot.  He gets rebounds at 13% rate.  

Defense is his foundation, but not against anyone with any strength.  I don’t see this as Sarr vs Clingan, but more like Sarr at #1 vs every other possibility.  Sarr’s mentality is weak and soft.  Jalen came into the league as a man child that brutalized people in summer league and G league.  

Another element I’ve seen discussed everywhere but here is Sarr being suited for switching defense which completely exposes Trae.  I mainly hope a team emerges to make us a killer offer to move up to #1.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’m a big believer in you are who you’ve been.  Sarr has never been a central part of his team’s offense.  He can’t catch passes or shoot.  He gets rebounds at 13% rate.  

Defense is his foundation, but not against anyone with any strength.  I don’t see this as Sarr vs Clingan, but more like Sarr at #1 vs every other possibility.  Sarr’s mentality is weak and soft.  Jalen came into the league as a man child that brutalized people in summer league and G league.  

Another element I’ve seen discussed everywhere but here is Sarr being suited for switching defense which completely exposes Trae.  I mainly hope a team emerges to make us a killer offer to move up to #1.  

Agree with a lot of this.  Definitely agree with that first sentence.  Said another way, 'when people show you what/who they are, believe them'.

I don't see Sarr as purely a 5.  I see him as a developmental 4/5 with defense being his calling card.  Could he be a bigger version of a Jonathan Isaac-ish player?  Intriguing.

Unfortunately, I can't really see anyone putting a great offer out to move to 1.  Mainly because of all the issues you mentioned.

Hey, what did you mean about the switching defenses thing?  I didn't follow that part. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agree with a lot of this.  Definitely agree with that first sentence.  Said another way, 'when people show you what/who they are, believe them'.

I don't see Sarr as purely a 5.  I see him as a developmental 4/5 with defense being his calling card.  Could he be a bigger version of a Jonathan Isaac-ish player?  Intriguing.

Unfortunately, I can't really see anyone putting a great offer out to move to 1.  Mainly because of all the issues you mentioned.

Hey, what did you mean about the switching defenses thing?  I didn't follow that part. 

image.png.63ed245d21e4ed401ca64498dd9deaea.png

Does Trae need a rim protector that covers for when he gets exposed on the perimeter or a switching big like Sarr that would allow any team to switch to a match up they want vs Trae?  Hmmm.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

image.png.63ed245d21e4ed401ca64498dd9deaea.png

Does Trae need a rim protector that covers for when he gets exposed on the perimeter or a switching big like Sarr that would allow any team to switch to a match up they want vs Trae?  Hmmm.....

Got it, thanks.

In my universe, Sarr would be the least-impactful addition this offseason.  Whatever we add at the 2 and wing would change things defensively (that's my hope).  So I don't see it as that big an issue.

Offensively... yeah I get the concern.  But, again, I don't see Sarr being key there at all - which is probably why his reps want him elsewhere. 

Long story long, Sarr is the best (i.e. 'least bad) choice for me.  Quin's gotta figure out how to make the puzzle fit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Got it, thanks.

In my universe, Sarr would be the least-impactful addition this offseason.  Whatever we add at the 2 and wing would change things defensively (that's my hope).  So I don't see it as that big an issue.

Offensively... yeah I get the concern.  But, again, I don't see Sarr being key there at all - which is probably why his reps want him elsewhere. 

Long story long, Sarr is the best (i.e. 'least bad) choice for me.  Quin's gotta figure out how to make the puzzle fit. 

I think if we make the selection you can make the case for Sarr at #1.  But it's not even just about Sarr's impact next season.  If switching is Sarr's strength and Trae's weakness, something's gotta give.  

• Like 1

What if we take Reed Sheppard #1 and SA trades us #4 and Zach Collins for DJM and we take Clingan...

#1 Sheppard

#2 Sarr

#3 Risacher

#4 Clingan

Is that enough value back for DJM (Collins is just salary)

Edited by theheroatl

6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

What if we take Reed Sheppard #1 and SA trades us #4 and Zach Collins for DJM and we take Clingan...

#1 Sheppard

#2 Sarr

#3 Risacher

#4 Clingan

I personally don't think its anywhere close to harmful value, but after seeing some of the "insider" trade packages for DJM, just getting a rookie Clingan doesnt get me as excited. 

Edited by Afro

5 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

#1 Sheppard

#2 Sarr

#3 Risacher

#4 Clingan

To me it's not good value for Murray, but I suppose I'm in the minority that doesn't believe Murray and Trae have to be separated. Sheppard is a great prospect, but I don't think a backcourt with him and Trae could ever work. Then we're adding Clingan who while he long term may become a great center, I don't think immediately presents a significant upgrade over Capela. So to me the roster is being downgraded without acquiring any future assets beyond this year. Considering the Spurs own our pick next year, we should be looking for clear upgrades instead of trading a starter for a rookie who likely won't have the same impact. In my opinion, our best route to improving our team is moving Hunter and Capela, considering they are the weak links in our starting lineup. If Murray is traded, we need to be getting a similar quality player back that's a better fit.

44 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Bust… I don’t like the way he looks walks or talks … oh my… I know I’m judging a book but oh god he’s gonna bust hard.

If there is a candidate to drop it’s him..

Drop to 5 or 6 maybe even below Cody Williams

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Bust… I don’t like the way he looks walks or talks … oh my… I know I’m judging a book but oh god he’s gonna bust hard.

He definitely looks like a bust. He's the one guy I really don't want. Not impressive in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I raise you some pink fingernails, pink phone, and just... pink..."

Screenshot-2024-03-26-164316-fotor-20240

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawkingAwesome said:

basketball players can be foofoo not nfl quarterbacks

I got Caleb as a bust for a lot of reasons, both on and off the field.  I believe he is gonna be the biggest bust ever in the NFL at the qb position.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1