• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the Hawks Don't Trade, Who Should Atlanta Take At #1?

AHF

If the Hawks Don't Trade, Who Should Atlanta Take At #1  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your #1 pick as of 6/7/2024?

• Alexandre Sarr
    • Zaccharie Risacher
    • Donovan Clingan
    • Stephon Castle
    • Reed Sheppard
    • Tidjane Salaune
    • Matas Buzelis
    • Ron Holland
    • Nikola Topic
    • Zach Edey

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/2024 at 01:03 AM

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

One concern I have for Sarr is his hands.  He’s not able to catch passes very well.  The list is pretty long on things he needs to improve on compared to other prospects.  Upside is his best feature.

If you want to appeal to “bbiq people” they don’t seem to be placing Sarr as a tier above everyone in this draft.  There isn’t even buzz or rumors around teams making offers to move up to get him.  In my view many of our smartest posters don’t see him as that guy.

I think you have to really buy into his potential as a shooter.  Also, does he project to defend 5’s, or be the main paint defender and rebounder?  I’m asking is that a clear projection for him?  Many bbiq people don’t think he has even a trajectory as a 5.  

And how many people are not saying he could make a defensive impact right now? As I see it right now, he does have the most to work on, but he also has the most to work with.  He's a 4 as we speak but can man the 5 on match ups. He's got a ways to go.  

And I wouldn't say that bbiq people aren't placing him above all others, it's that this draft is a pot of gumbo.  It's honestly a draft where pick 10 could wind up better than 1, 2 or 3.  And that's the rub.  And many smart posters see his potential.  Plenty actually.

• Like 4

• Moderators

[Moderator Note]

Let's steer clear of trying to assess one another's intelligence or IQ or BBIQ, etc. on here.  Feel free to assess media writers or commentators or whatever but avoid that with your fellow Squawk posters.  Commenting on what "smart" or "stupid" posters think leads right down this path so let's skip that part and just talk about what posts, arguments, etc. are sound or unsound or are well or poorly supported, etc.  The persuasiveness or soundness of a position articulated in a post is independent of the intelligence of the poster so it is not needed to go there at all.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, deester11 said:

And how many people are not saying he could make a defensive impact right now? As I see it right now, he does have the most to work on, but he also has the most to work with.  He's a 4 as we speak but can man the 5 on match ups. He's got a ways to go.  

And I wouldn't say that bbiq people aren't placing him above all others, it's that this draft is a pot of gumbo.  It's honestly a draft where pick 10 could wind up better than 1, 2 or 3.  And that's the rub.  And many smart posters see his potential.  Plenty actually.

There is a fallacy of thought that suggests if the Hawks draft Sarr, then Trae is going to want out.  Trae staying has always been about what moves they make for veteran players.  For the most part, the draft should be a tool to get you better down the road.  For one, rookies are very rarely good in a winning way.  If you are relying on a rookie to make you better, you are probably doing it wrong.  So, you should draft based upon who you think will be better 3 years from now.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

[Moderator Note]

Let's steer clear of trying to assess one another's intelligence or IQ or BBIQ, etc. on here.  Feel free to assess media writers or commentators or whatever but avoid that with your fellow Squawk posters.  Commenting on what "smart" or "stupid" posters think leads right down this path so let's skip that part and just talk about what posts, arguments, etc. are sound or unsound or are well or poorly supported, etc.  The persuasiveness or soundness of a position articulated in a post is independent of the intelligence of the poster so it is not needed to go there at all.  Thanks!

OK AH...I gotta give a what the???? Speaking in generalities doesn't insinuate smarter people vs less smarter people unless they do in fact call a person...Um..stu...whatever.  I'm not getting this one. But at the risk of carrying it on, your post is duly noted.

2 hours ago, deester11 said:

Yep, this is pretty accurate.  He's #1 for a reason on most boards, but there is a real danger with these raw potential guys.  Still, I honestly could change my mind by draft night and get excited about Sarr again.  I've flipped on him a couple times already.  

7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Yep, this is pretty accurate.  He's #1 for a reason on most boards, but there is a real danger with these raw potential guys.  Still, I honestly could change my mind by draft night and get excited about Sarr again.  I've flipped on him a couple times already.  

I've seen the arguments against the things Sarr is not proficient in and I know he needs work.  There's just a ton to work with though.  It's no different than any other player in this draft:

Risacher: Balanced.  Defensive presence. He has one.  Rebounds? No.  Explosive? No.  Shot Creation? No.  His ball handling needs work for him to be able to play as a wing in the NBA  

Clingan: lack of explosive foot speed, leaping skills and quickness. He misses bunnies too (Capela lite).  I think he allows quicker Center's way too much recovery time when making moves to the basket. Jumpshot is a work in progress. FT % stinks.

Sarr: sub-30% three point shooter. Can he be a face up threat (He's developing that enough to have true possibilities).  Not the passer Clingan is.  Hasn't really shown that. Can he gain enough strength to compete down low when required? (Ok, I do I love this part: Extremely mobile, and you won’t find a 7-footer who handles a guard on a switch or a pick and roll better than Sarr)

Now, I could do a snippet on about 64 prospects and they'll all have issues.  Some more pronounced than others.  ln this draft you have players that can play D. ONLY.  No shot, no chance of making shots...unless they improve significantly.  Some can shoot, but play D like they are allergic to peanuts and defense.

The only 3 I'm focused on are the three above.  And I didn't delve deep, but there is still NOTHING about Sarr I don't like.  @NBASupes is right though.  The Hawks have to have the right support to develop him.  I think they can at least do that. We've beaten the topic to death but it's so important the Hawks do this right. I have them Sarr, Clingan, Risacher.  Which means nothing.  LOL

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If we don’t take Sarr we are stupid as hell. There I said it… again. 

Everything is smoke screen. Dude fits perfectly with Trae, Trae needs a swatter back there and he’s that. If we don’t draft Sarr, we need a Sarr type clone basically. I mean, that’s what we lack and he checks most boxes we lack. I don’t get the confusion unless they gotta do the dance 💃 for clicks and such.

A swatter who can move his feet and defend in space as well as play away from the basket on offense.

It’s a novel concept to think about a center who doesn’t live and die under the shadow of the rim.

• Like 2

If the Hawks don't draft Sarr Trae should immediately request to be traded

Enough is enough. That is the only pick that needs to be made. Prepare for a mass exodus if the Hawks are dumb enough not to draft Sarr

If you're keeping Trae (which I think they are) you HAVE to draft Sarr for him

Otherwise the Hawks can go to hell

Edited by Bonkers

• AHF locked this topic