• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae/Murray/Roster

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Trade #1 for me:

• Dejounte Murray to Brooklyn Nets
  • Cam Johnson and Dariq Whitehead to Atlanta Hawks

This would give Atlanta a better fitting wing in Cam Johnson and a young wing with upside in Dariq Whitehead, who they liked in the draft last year.  

Not sure we could get Murray for Johnson striaght up, if we could we probably should do it. Murray is a better player overall but Johnson actually gives us what we need most which is elite wing defense. 

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Trade #1 for me:

• Dejounte Murray to Brooklyn Nets
  • Cam Johnson and Dariq Whitehead to Atlanta Hawks

This would give Atlanta a better fitting wing in Cam Johnson and a young wing with upside in Dariq Whitehead, who they liked in the draft last year.  

How about this?

DJM/Hunter to Brooklyn for Cam Johnson, DFS, future 1st
Capela to Memphis for Marcus Smart
Draft Clingan (for fit and immediate impact vs. long-term potential)

Young/Bufkin/vet
Smart/Bogi/Matthews
Johnson/Vit/Griffin
Johnson/DFS/Gueye
OO/Clingan/Fernando

We definitely lack that 2nd star power with this group, but it gives us significantly better depth although Smart is less than a sure thing to be healthy these days. It gives us way better defense than we currently have and depth at defensive positions.  Vit is probably the 10th man in that rotation, but could have a meaningful role filling in for any of our wings that get injured and an emergency PG type player for the second unit (playing alongside Bogi)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawkish said:

My thought, too.  Is Cam Thomas a good defender?  Maybe confusing the two…

Cam Thomas is a terrible defender.  Cam Johnson is a good defender, but far from elite.  Not a shot creator though and not someone I would center a Murray trade around.

Just now, Packfill said:

Cam Thomas is a terrible defender.  Cam Johnson is a good defender, but far from elite.  Not a shot creator though and not someone I would center a Murray trade around.

I agree.  Bridges (and Claxton) are the only two pieces on Brooklyn that may interest me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I agree.  Bridges (and Claxton) are the only two pieces on Brooklyn that may interest me.

Cam Johnson is a good player, so he is interesting and would fit on the Hawks, but he is a complementary player.  As a second piece in a trade he works but not as a centerpiece unless it is a deal not involving a player the caliber of Murray.

8 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

They are the sexy options, but Cam Johnson is a great shooter with size and can defend.  DFS is another solid defender that doesn't need to score to impact a game.  Both guys shot profile is predominantly from 3PA which also helps this squad.  Either (or both) of them could be quality role players.  I don't particularly like swapping a former All-Star for role players, but surrounding Trae with guys who can defend multiple positions and can shoot is what we need desperately.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

They are the sexy options, but Cam Johnson is a great shooter with size and can defend.  DFS is another solid defender that doesn't need to score to impact a game.  Both guys shot profile is predominantly from 3PA which also helps this squad.  Either (or both) of them could be quality role players.  I don't particularly like swapping a former All-Star for role players, but surrounding Trae with guys who can defend multiple positions and can shoot is what we need desperately.  

I wonder what if there was a way to swing Cam Johnson without key pieces going out. I didn’t consider DFS simply because of the supposed cost.  He isn’t a player you give up 1sts for.

4 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I wonder what if there was a way to swing Cam Johnson without key pieces going out. I didn’t consider DFS simply because of the supposed cost.  He isn’t a player you give up 1sts for.

I'd guess the asking price for DFS is substantially lower than Cam's.  I think they were wanting more for DFS at the trade deadline than anyone was willing to agree to, but I'd seen a few things indicating that asking price had lowered substantially.  Brooklyn is in a weird spot that they don't have all their own upcoming picks so it doesn't make sense to blow it up (sounds familiar right?).  I think they want to add talent, but have limited resources themselves thanks to Ben Simmons' albatross expiring deal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, djjob23 said:

Now that it’s the off-season, figured I’d drop this in here. The Hawks have a lot of talent, but they need to reconfigure assets to address their biggest issue… team fit. If the Hawks want to build a win now team around Trae this offseason (which they should since they don’t have their next 3 1sts), they’ll need at least 1 player from each of these 4 bucket archetypes (POA, perimeter D, mobile big with size/vert, and stretch big). For example: 

• POA: Jalen Suggs, Alex Caruso, Anthony Black, Cason Wallace
  • Per D: Herb Jones, Tari Eason, Grayson Allen, Isaac Okoro, Jonathan Isaac 
  • Mob C: Jarrett Allen, Nic Claxton, Derrick Lively II, Daniel Gafford
  • Stretch Big: Myles Turner, Wendell Carter Jr., Naz Reid, Mo Bamba

Although the Hawks got their first ever #1 lottery pick, this draft class lacks top-tier talent and it should be looked at as one for players to build with (lots of quality role players) and not around. I really like the following prospects (should they plan to get more picks in this year’s draft):

• Lottery: Alex Sarr, Donovan Clingan, Matas Buzelis
  • First: Kel’el Ware, Jaylon Tyson, Devin Carter, Johnny Furphy
  • Second: Baylor Scheierman, Keshad Johnson, Ulrich Chomche, Ajay Mitchell

—————-

Here’s an offseason example (again just an example) following this blueprint criteria. Values may or may not be accurate, but the decisions are made with the intention of fulfilling other team needs (in a fair value manner). ENJOY!!!

DRAFT-DAY

• Trade #1: HOU gets Smart, #1(Sarr); MEM gets Hunter, #3(Clingan); ATL gets Eason, #9
    Why Eason? High energy, impactful 6th man who impacts the game by doing the little things that matter to winning. Had injury last year, but played all 82 games his rookie year.

• Trade #2: ORL gets DJM, Capela; MIN gets Matthews, #18(Tyler Smith); ATL gets Suggs, #27, #37 
    Why Suggs? Perfect backcourt mate for Trae. 2nd-Team All-Defense. Shot ~40% from 3 (and C&S 3’s) on 5.1 attempts last year. Can play PG with point-forwards (like JJ, Slomo). Had injury issues first 2 years, but played 75 games last year. 

• ATL PICKS: #9, #27, #37
    #9 (Kel’el Ware): The “low motor” tag fails the eye test. Will need some development to break some defensive habits and get stronger, but has all the physical traits and potential shooting to be unique should it all come together. His standing and max vertical trumps any other center in this draft when adding standing reach (stats below). His vertical spacing, agility, and foot speed make him a perfect PnR rim runner for Trae.

#27 (Baylor Scheierman): A TS type of player (PDS). Versatile offensive wing who’s known for his quick, high release 3pt shooting (off the catch or dribble) and is an excellent rebounder. Makes the right play. Athleticism and defense will be the issue (slow foot speed and laterally).

#37 (Keshad Johnson): Powerful and explosive defensive forward (but not elite) that hustles, plays in the passing lanes, and has a high BBIQ. Can guard small centers to big guards. Strong cutter/driver with some spot-up shooting. Jumper needs consistency and may have issues against taller players in the post.

• Combine: Vert Stats + Standing Reach in Inches:
    Ware: 145 (stand), 148.5 (max)
    Sarr: 140.5 (stand), 147 (max)
    Edey: 141 (stand), 146.5 (max)
    Chomche: 138 (stand), 144.5 (max)
    Clingan: 140.5 (stand), 144 (max)

FREE AGENCY

• SnT (if necessary): BRK gets OO, 2025 1st, 2 2nds for Claxton (4/$90m)
    Why Claxton? More of a switch defender than Capela, but very similar skillsets. A better match with Trae than OO at starting center.

• SIGN: JJ (5/$153m), Bey (3/$37m), Lundy (2-way), Slomo (2/$15m), Malachi Flynn (2/$4.8m)
    Why Slomo? Great defense and secondary playmaking. Had eye injury last year affecting his game/shooting last year,  but his game came back (after eye surgery mid-May).
    Why Flynn? He’s a pick and roll master. His game is very Trae Young-lite and would be amazing plug-n-play insurance should his playmaking skills be needed.

ROSTER: ~$165.0m ($6.3m under tax)

Trae | Bufkin | Flynn
Suggs | Bogi | Lundy (2-way)
Eason | Bey (IR) | Scheierman
JJ | Slomo | Gueye | Keshad (2-way)
Claxton | Ware | Bruno

SUMMARY: This blueprint example puts us in win-now mode for the next 3 years (while we don’t have our 1sts) with better player fits around Trae and Quin’s play style. Financially, we’d project to be below the tax next year and possibly be a 1st apron team in Trae’s expiring year. This team would have a Hawks culture built around phrases like “PnR Terror” “Balanced Versatile Spacing” “Rim Crashing” and “Grit-Fueled Swarm”.

——————

Thoughts? Are there any other “realistically available” players out there that would make us more title-contending? Or should we just trade with SAS to get our picks back and start another rebuild (please no)? I mean at the end of the day what do I know… I’m just a fan who’s playing with his trade machine trying to use common sense in a senseless world…

GO HAWKS!!!

A lot of thought put into this. Good job.

I agree with the archetypes that Trae needs 100%. I'm less familiar with some of the players you are drafting so I won't comment on the fit of these specific players.

My only criticism is you've got 2, 3-team trades, a SnT, multiple FA signings, and project about 50% roster turnover.  That's a lot of activity for 1 team and probably not the most realistic. 

Far more likely we see 0 or 1 or 2 total trades and and resigning of our own FAs. Maybe we go crazy and use the MLE. 

Really good work. Not trying to be negative at all. Just doesn't seem like that much turnover is realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, djjob23 said:

Now that it’s the off-season, figured I’d drop this in here. The Hawks have a lot of talent, but they need to reconfigure assets to address their biggest issue… team fit. If the Hawks want to build a win now team around Trae this offseason (which they should since they don’t have their next 3 1sts), they’ll need at least 1 player from each of these 4 bucket archetypes (POA, perimeter D, mobile big with size/vert, and stretch big). For example: 

Although the Hawks got their first ever #1 lottery pick, this draft class lacks top-tier talent and it should be looked at as one for players to build with (lots of quality role players) and not around. I really like the following prospects (should they plan to get more picks in this year’s draft):

—————-

Here’s an offseason example (again just an example) following this blueprint criteria. Values may or may not be accurate, but the decisions are made with the intention of fulfilling other team needs (in a fair value manner). ENJOY!!!

DRAFT-DAY

• Trade #1: HOU gets Smart, #1(Sarr); MEM gets Hunter, #3(Clingan); ATL gets Eason, #9
    Why Eason? High energy, impactful 6th man who impacts the game by doing the little things that matter to winning. Had injury last year, but played all 82 games his rookie year.

• Trade #2: ORL gets DJM, Capela; MIN gets Matthews, #18(Tyler Smith); ATL gets Suggs, #27, #37 
    Why Suggs? Perfect backcourt mate for Trae. 2nd-Team All-Defense. Shot ~40% from 3 (and C&S 3’s) on 5.1 attempts last year. Can play PG with point-forwards (like JJ, Slomo). Had injury issues first 2 years, but played 75 games last year. 

#9 (Kel’el Ware): The “low motor” tag fails the eye test. Will need some development to break some defensive habits and get stronger, but has all the physical traits and potential shooting to be unique should it all come together. His standing and max vertical trumps any other center in this draft when adding standing reach (stats below). His vertical spacing, agility, and foot speed make him a perfect PnR rim runner for Trae.

#27 (Baylor Scheierman): A TS type of player (PDS). Versatile offensive wing who’s known for his quick, high release 3pt shooting (off the catch or dribble) and is an excellent rebounder. Makes the right play. Athleticism and defense will be the issue (slow foot speed and laterally).

#37 (Keshad Johnson): Powerful and explosive defensive forward (but not elite) that hustles, plays in the passing lanes, and has a high BBIQ. Can guard small centers to big guards. Strong cutter/driver with some spot-up shooting. Jumper needs consistency and may have issues against taller players in the post.

FREE AGENCY

Why Claxton? More of a switch defender than Capela, but very similar skillsets. A better match with Trae than OO at starting center.

• SIGN: JJ (5/$153m), Bey (3/$37m), Lundy (2-way), Slomo (2/$15m), Malachi Flynn (2/$4.8m)
    Why Slomo? Great defense and secondary playmaking. Had eye injury last year affecting his game/shooting last year,  but his game came back (after eye surgery mid-May).
    Why Flynn? He’s a pick and roll master. His game is very Trae Young-lite and would be amazing plug-n-play insurance should his playmaking skills be needed.

Trae | Bufkin | Flynn
Claxton | Ware | Bruno

SUMMARY: This blueprint example puts us in win-now mode for the next 3 years (while we don’t have our 1sts) with better player fits around Trae and Quin’s play style. Financially, we’d project to be below the tax next year and possibly be a 1st apron team in Trae’s expiring year. This team would have a Hawks culture built around phrases like “PnR Terror” “Balanced Versatile Spacing” “Rim Crashing” and “Grit-Fueled Swarm”.

——————

Thoughts? Are there any other “realistically available” players out there that would make us more title-contending? Or should we just trade with SAS to get our picks back and start another rebuild (please no)? I mean at the end of the day what do I know… I’m just a fan who’s playing with his trade machine trying to use common sense in a senseless world…

GO HAWKS!!!

This is very detailed. Appreciate the thought behind it. 

that said, I would absolutely not give up the #1 pick and Hunter for #9 and Eason  even though I understand you are doing this to shed salary. I would only do a deal like that if it was to put the final touches on a championship contender and I don’t think these moves get the Hawks there. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

A lot of thought put into this. Good job.

I agree with the archetypes that Trae needs 100%. I'm less familiar with some of the players you are drafting so I won't comment on the fit of these specific players.

My only criticism is you've got 2, 3-team trades, a SnT, multiple FA signings, and project about 50% roster turnover.  That's a lot of activity for 1 team and probably not the most realistic. 

Far more likely we see 0 or 1 or 2 total trades and and resigning of our own FAs. Maybe we go crazy and use the MLE. 

Really good work. Not trying to be negative at all. Just doesn't seem like that much turnover is realistic. 

Thanks! I absolutely agree and a lot of work needs to be done. It’s important to note though that my offseason blueprint example is not a completely out of the ordinary for win-now teams. For example, just last offseason (2023):

• Celtics (champs): 3 3-team trades (1 was SnT), 5 FA, 7 lost.
  • Mavs (finals): 2 trades, 1 3-team SnT, 3 FA, 8 lost. 
  • Pacers (c-finals): 1 4-team trade, 1 3-team trade, 2 trades, 5 lost. 
  • Bucks (playoffs): 1 3-team trade, 1 trade, 4 FA, 8 lost.
  • Thunder (c-semis): 1 5-team trade, 5 trades, 1 FA, 10 lost.
  • Suns (playoffs): 1 3-team trade, 4 trades, 7 FA, 13 lost.

My blueprint example contains 2 3-team trades, 3 FA, 9 lost (10 with SnT). There is 1 potential SnT for Claxton, but isn’t needed as we could just sign him outright (after the previous trades in the blueprint). If we can sign Claxton outright, then we do not sign Slomo (making it only 2 FAs) and we have OO playing backup big to JJ and Claxton (while Bey is injured and Ware gets more development time). Whether this blueprint is executed in 1 or a couple offseasons, it would be crutial to get these types of moves done sooner rather than later to satisfy Trae and increase our win-now window while we still have him under contract.

6 hours ago, Packfill said:

This is very detailed. Appreciate the thought behind it. 

that said, I would absolutely not give up the #1 pick and Hunter for #9 and Eason  even though I understand you are doing this to shed salary. I would only do a deal like that if it was to put the final touches on a championship contender and I don’t think these moves get the Hawks there. 

Thanks! Hunter isn’t just shedding salary, but also fits very well with that Grizzlies team (moving Bane to SG and JJJ to PF next to Clingan). How would you utilize the #1 pick and Hunter to make us a championship contender with this blueprint’s criteria? Would getting a 2-way All-Defensive wing like Herb Jones or MIkal Bridges do it?

Not sure Pelicans trade Herb for this package (would likely prefer an All-Star PG/playmaker). Nets don’t have Mikal Bridges available (in win-now mode since they do not own their 1sts) and also want to pair him with an All-Star PG/playmaker. Ingram doesn’t help us cap wise and doesn’t fit this blueprint criteria. Okoro might work, but Cavs want to keep him and will likely match any offer up to ~$17m per year (any more than that is an overpay). It’s also important to note that the #1 pick has a larger contract ($10.5m year 1) than the #9 pick ($4.8m year 1). For a team like the Hawks that look to want results before paying the tax, any moves made should take the cap into consideration. Based on these things, I think trading Hunter and this year’s #1 pick for Eason and #9 is fair value and fits the blueprint criteria.

Edited by djjob23
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, djjob23 said:

—————-

DRAFT-DAY

FREE AGENCY

Trae | Bufkin | Flynn
Claxton | Ware | Bruno

——————

GO HAWKS!!!

Can tell you put a lot of thought into this. It’s a good post! I really like the the DJM for Suggs trade. I would do it. But for the others, you’re essentially trading:

#1, Hunter, OO, ‘25 FRP, Two 2nd’s for: 

#9, Eason, Claxton. 

Why? Makes more sense to just stay at #1 and take Clingan ourselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Can tell you put a lot of thought into this. It’s a good post! I really like the the DJM for Suggs trade. I would do it. But for the others, you’re essentially trading:

#1, Hunter, OO, ‘25 FRP, Two 2nd’s for: 

#9, Eason, Claxton. 

Why? Makes more sense to just stay at #1 and take Clingan ourselves. 

Thanks! Happy to answer and it’s because a team built around Trae needs…

• Perimeter Defense: Trae needs better perimeter defenders around him. Eason fits this criteria better than Hunter. Hunter’s a good on-ball and plays stay at home defense walling up big wings with his physicality and length. Hunter’s defensive shortcomings could be mental and he may still be getting used to trusting his knee and as of now he can’t defend quick guards and is sub-par off-ball. Eason is a high-energy versatile forward who can guard some 2’s and some small 5’s and is a high-end perimeter defender with great rebounding skills. He’s not as good offensively as Hunter, but Eason’s game fits exactly what this team needs as someone that does the dirty work and little things that contribute to winning.

• Vertical Spacing: Although I like Clingan (his defense will be translatable), I worry about his injury history as well as his offensive effectiveness against NBA competition. Trae needs players with a high vertical leap (aka Damian Jones, young Capela, etc.) to effectively run the PnR. Claxton and Ware are both WAY better vertical leapers (check the vert leap stats in my first post), have better agility, and quicker feet than Clingan. Clingan is likely more NBA ready than Ware, but neither of them are NBA proven like Claxton. Jarrett Allen fits better than Claxton, but the Cavs won’t trade him as requested via Donovan Mitchell (they want to keep Donovan happy). Ware needs development time and I believe he’ll hit his ceiling, which is higher than Clingan’s.

• Starter Mobility with Size: OO is a bit of a 4-5 tweener and is someone I’d definitely prefer to have on this roster. The issue is that Trae needs bigs with size that are mobile in the starting lineup. OO is outrageously talented, but his path to the starting lineup entails a consistent 3pt shot (he’s developing) and to guard spacing 4’s consistently to solidify himself as a starting PF caliber player with Trae. In the meantime, he is a SUPERB backup 4-5 big. 

Another reason for these trades is cap related. Hunter, OO, and Clingan (@ #1) eat up ~$46m for 3 roster spots. Ware (@ #9), Eason, and Claxton eat up ~$30.5m. Without the SnT and signing Claxton outright (is possible with Hunter and Capela’s money off the books), ATL keeps Okongwu and future picks, and they don’t sign Slomo (which is fine). Hawks would then still get Claxton, OO, Ware, and Eason eating up ~$44.5m for 4 roster spots.

Edited by djjob23

I agree with the logic, who we should acquire to pair with Trae, however I think there are other ways to complete the team that do not require to give so much.

In my opinion first target should be Mikal Bridges. We can use, DJM, Capela, OO, Hunter and Sac pick to get him. We can even take some contract they want to unload as DFS. He is the perimeter defender we need. Something like DJM, OO and Sac pick for Mikal and DFS could work. Hopefully we can exchange Capela for OO.

About Jalen Suggs, I don't think we can get him. However in free agency we can sign De Anthony Melton that is also a perfect fit with Trae, other options might be Delon Wright and Gary Harris. 

Finnally I completely agree to sign Bamba, stretch big that if paired with Trae could flourish in Atlanta. I would also add Naji Marshall, another perimeter defender that fits nicely our team.

At #1 we need to go with Sarr

And we still can trade Capela and Hunter to other teams for picks and vets.

Trae/Bufkin/?

Melton/Bogi/Lundy

Mikal/Marshall/Hunter?

JJ/Bey/Gueye

Sarr/Bamba/Capela?