• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024 Summer League Roster and Games.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

When Kevin Pelton didn't have Sarr near the top of his model, that was pretty much a tell.

Reed at the top is just another notch in his belt.

Reed & Clingan have the ability to fulfill a solid role or star in the NBA. 

Risacher has all the intangibles and skill that we want for the Hawks around Trae.

Risacher has always been a guy that I think can be a championship team starter.  Probably won't be first or second in points per game (maybe third), but he is going to make the right plays, the right reads, and do everything you need that isn't on the stat sheet.  He's got a long way to go before he hits that ceiling, but that's what I think for him.  I have pretty much the same trajectory for Reed-- likely not a first or second option on a championship team, but he will make the right play, bring you intangibles, space the floor, etc.  Clingan feels like he will get abused by high level playoff teams-- can't switch on the perimeter and clogs the paint on defense.  Going to be a regular season monster though.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

I guess Risacher is a failure if he isn't a franchise player then.  Come on Supes.  There is no one with franchise player ceiling and day 1 polish in this draft class.  If there was, we would have drafted them.  If someone emerges as a franchise player who is a day 1 impact player that will be a surprise to everyone.

To some maybe since he's not a #1 option type but he's gonna be highly impactful like Horford is I don't see the comparison in regards to that. 

Sarr is extremely raw offensively. That's a lot for someone taking in the top 3. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Landry is treading water in some ways.  Playing it too safe could be a problem for him.  

Sarr would have been a huge mistake, though.  I actually like Risacher so far.  I think he is taking out of rhythm shots just because he’s being told to let it fly.  Think he will thrive in a more organized setting.

Landry has done some thankless dirty work that is hard for fans to appreciate.  Cutting Collins.  Trading Murray.  Resetting the roster while hoping to stay competitive.  We’re getting out of the mud slowly.  

I gotta see on that one. Not poo pooing everything he's done..but I just think he leaves a lot of meat on the bone. Maybe he needs more than one huge off-season, and I agree about the dirty work. But so far, he's needs a shower.  Clean this shyt up.  

6 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I gotta see on that one. Not poo pooing everything he's done..but I just think he leaves a lot of meat on the bone. Maybe he needs more than one huge off-season, and I agree about the dirty work. But so far, he's needs a shower.  Clean this shyt up.  

Quietly he is cleaning it up.  But he hasn’t restocked the shelves with much.  Only adding Dyson, Risacher, Bufkin, Vit, and Gueye.  
With every renovation the tear down happens first.  He’s almost done with that part, and just has to move Hunter.  
The restocking part has been the slowest, but it’s also the last step.  It seems to be the step that gives people anxiety.  

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

To some maybe since he's not a #1 option type but he's gonna be highly impactful like Horford is I don't see the comparison in regards to that. 

Sarr is extremely raw offensively. That's a lot for someone taking in the top 3. 

Horford has never been a franchise player by any definition and if you look back at trades involving him and how he was treated by GMs in free agency, he has never been viewed that way by General Managers either.  That wouldn't make him a failure as a #1 pick in this draft because there simply isn't anyone seen as a franchise player in this draft.  I would love to see Risacher match Horford's impact as a super glue guy who raises the team's performance on both ends but doesn't really dominate at any individual skill.

I'm just saying the idea that a #1 pick must be a franchise player and must be a high impact player on day 1 to be a success is not a useful standard for drafts that lack any player that scouts believe could fulfill that criteria.

40 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

When Kevin Pelton didn't have Sarr near the top of his model, that was pretty much a tell.

Reed at the top is just another notch in his belt.

Reed & Clingan have the ability to fulfill a solid role or star in the NBA. 

Risacher has all the intangibles and skill that we want for the Hawks around Trae.

Pelton's model is one of the better statistical ones but it isn't perfect either.  If I'm not mistaken, his model ranks guys like Dejuan Blair (5.0 WARP and top 5 on Pelton's list since 2006), Kenneth Faried (5.1 WARP and top 5 on Pelton's list since 2006) and Zhou Qi (3.5 WARP and top 25 on Pelton's list since 2006) by quite a large margin over guys like Giannis, Anthony Edwards, and Joel Embiid.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Quietly he is cleaning it up.  But he hasn’t restocked the shelves with much.  Only adding Dyson, Risacher, Bufkin, Vit, and Gueye.  
With every renovation the tear down happens first.  He’s almost done with that part, and just has to move Hunter.  
The restocking part has been the slowest, but it’s also the last step.  It seems to be the step that gives people anxiety.  

Given that Trae can leave as an UFA in two years, the restocking needs to be a bit more of a priority.  We have a deadline here.  If you are opening your store in 2 months it isn't enough to get rid of the rats.  You also need a working kitchen.  I just don't want to see us end up losing Trae and free falling into a full rebuild while we are still paying off San Antonio after that deal that Landry would definitely do again if he had the chance.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

As long as we don't overpay anyone on extensions, and we use our two picks next year wisely, we should be in very good shape moving forward, assuming we trust Hawks University.  I'm bullish on the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

youve-woken-the-beast-gif-11367009.gif

Oh Lordy lord hide the women and children and Spud (friendly fire 🔥 :huh:).. 

Its like opening up the court again for Trae by simply sending DM on his way….

:batman:

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Game tonight is on Bally....we might get to hear  :Nique: say 'Ricochet'

Not me I get the nationally televised bs where everybody loves Bronny 🔍 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

As long as we don't overpay anyone on extensions, and we use our two picks next year wisely, we should be in very good shape moving forward, assuming we trust Hawks University.  I'm bullish on the future.

If the Sacramento pick converts and we strike big on those picks and Trae believes in the team enough to want to stay, that is definitely the best case scenario for the team.  It is in the realm of possible.  In terms of the picks, that will depend on matters entirely outside of our control.  We just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.  In terms of Trae, a lot will depend on how we perform this year, imo.  I'm not sure next year's roster with CC and Nance dropping off the payroll will look at ton better on paper.  But plenty of time between now and then for Fields to step it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Horford has never been a franchise player by any definition and if you look back at trades involving him and how he was treated by GMs in free agency, he has never been viewed that way by General Managers either.  That wouldn't make him a failure as a #1 pick in this draft because there simply isn't anyone seen as a franchise player in this draft.  I would love to see Risacher match Horford's impact as a super glue guy who raises the team's performance on both ends but doesn't really dominate at any individual skill.

I'm just saying the idea that a #1 pick must be a franchise player and must be a high impact player on day 1 to be a success is not a useful standard for drafts that lack any player that scouts believe could fulfill that criteria.

Pelton's model is one of the better statistical ones but it isn't perfect either.  If I'm not mistaken, his model ranks guys like Dejuan Blair (5.0 WARP and top 5 on Pelton's list since 2006), Kenneth Faried (5.1 WARP and top 5 on Pelton's list since 2006) and Zhou Qi (3.5 WARP and top 25 on Pelton's list since 2006) by quite a large margin over guys like Giannis, Anthony Edwards, and Joel Embiid.

I disagree. 

I really like Pelton model. It's not perfect, nothing is but it's reasonable 

Faried was an elite college big who was vastly undersized and still had success. Blair had medical issues which is why he fell to the 2nd round. Both were special college players 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Given that Trae can leave as an UFA in two years, the restocking needs to be a bit more of a priority.  We have a deadline here.  If you are opening your store in 2 months it isn't enough to get rid of the rats.  You also need a working kitchen.  I just don't want to see us end up losing Trae and free falling into a full rebuild while we are still paying off San Antonio after that deal that Landry would definitely do again if he had the chance.

I agree that we're in a delicate spot, but standing pat was maybe more dangerous.  It looks like they are building a team to fit Trae so someone in the organization seems to believe they can keep him.  I just want to see them continue to make the right moves.  

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree. 

I really like Pelton model. It's not perfect, nothing is but it's reasonable 

Faried was an elite college big who was vastly undersized and still had success. Blair had medical issues which is why he fell to the 2nd round. Both were special college players 

What do you disagree with?  I said the Pelton model was good but not perfect and that some outstanding players are ranked low by him while some players who aren't very good NBA players are ranked very high.  Seems like we agree.

27 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I agree that we're in a delicate spot, but standing pat was maybe more dangerous.  It looks like they are building a team to fit Trae so someone in the organization seems to believe they can keep him.  I just want to see them continue to make the right moves.  

We couldn't stand pat.  That would have been a disaster.  Moving on from DJM was essential and while I think we left money on the table given what we took back and the double protected pick, we did get a nice fitting young player with upside beyond his current role player status, a useful vet (less useful if he can't play PF anymore but still useful), and a pick with real upside to go with the likely useless bottom of the bench salary that we also swallowed.  

The real question is how to strike the right balance right now.  I don't want to see us tilt too far into "make the right moves for 3 years from now" when we are already under the tax for this year and next year and in this delicate spot with our biggest player.  I'm skeptical that salary dumping is the right next move for someone like Hunter unless that is coupled with a move that brings an upgrade on the floor to balance that out.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

What do you disagree with?  I said the Pelton model was good but not perfect and that some outstanding players are ranked low by him while some players who aren't very good NBA players are ranked very high.  Seems like we agree.

We couldn't stand pat.  That would have been a disaster.  Moving on from DJM was essential and while I think we left money on the table given what we took back and the double protected pick, we did get a nice fitting young player with upside beyond his current role player status, a useful vet (less useful if he can't play PF anymore but still useful), and a pick with real upside to go with the likely useless bottom of the bench salary that we also swallowed.  

The real question is how to strike the right balance right now.  I don't want to see us tilt too far into "make the right moves for 3 years from now" when we are already under the tax for this year and next year and in this delicate spot with our biggest player.  I'm skeptical that salary dumping is the right next move for someone like Hunter unless that is coupled with a move that brings an upgrade on the floor to balance that out.

Your entire Horford take. 

Your Pelton take was very reasonable.