• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Final 2024 Draft Poll

AHF

What should the Hawks do?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. If the Hawks stay at 1, who should they draft?

• Alexandre Sarr
    • Zaccharie Risacher
    • Donovan Clingan
    • Stephon Castle
    • Reed Sheppard
    • Tidjane Salaune
    • Matas Buzelis
    • Ron Holland
    • Zach Edey
    • Bronny James (or other - list the "other" in the comments if not Edey)
  2. 2. If the Hawks trade down to #3 and Risacher and Sarr are off the board, who should the Hawks draft?

• Donovan Clingan
    • Stephon Castle
    • Reed Sheppard
    • Matas Buzelis
    • Ron Holland
    • Tidjane Salaune
    • Dalton Knecht
    • Cody Williams
    • Zach Edey
  3. 3. If the Hawks trade down to #4 and Sarr, Clingan, and Risacher are off the table, who should the Hawks draft?

• Stephon Castle
    • Reed Sheppard
    • Matas Buzelis
    • Ron Holland
    • Tidjane Salaune
    • Dalton Knecht
    • Cody Williams
    • Zach Edey
    • Nikola Topic
  4. 4. What strategies should the Hawks prioritize? (Select multiple options if they apply in your mind.)

• We've never had a player we drafted at #1 play in Atlanta. Time for that to change. Hold the pick and take the best player.
    • There is too much parity at the top of this draft. Trade down and get multiple assets for your pick with a preference for more picks in this draft. (The lower starting salary from trading down will help manage the cap as well.)
    • There is too much parity at the top of this draft. Trade down and get multiple assets for your pick with a preference for established player(s). (The lower starting salary from trading down will help create room for the added establish player(s) as well.)
    • There is too much parity at the top of this draft. Trade down and get multiple assets for your pick with a preference for one or more picks in future drafts. (The lower starting salary from trading down will help manage the cap as well.)
    • Sell out to get our picks back from San Antonio and blow the team up to rebuild. We do what needs to be done to accomplish that through our existing vets and
    • We should take the player who can contribute best on day 1. We are a win now team and need someone who will add wins to the mix in 2024-25 and beyond even if they don't have the highest ceiling of any player.
    • We should take the player we believe will be the best for the long-term and address the current roster through retooling through trades even if the player we draft won't contribute as much as others this year.
    • We need a new 2 and could upgrade at 3 and could use more good players at either position. Focus on adding to our wing depth.
    • We need to retool our frontcourt or at least add to it. Focus on adding to our big man depth.
    • We should trade out of the draft entirely and move the pick for a proven veteran.
  5. 5. Who will have the most significant voice in the room on draft day?

• General Manager Landry Fields
    • Coach Quin Snyder
    • Owner and Governor Tony Ressler
    • Principal Advisor to the Governor (and son of Tony) Nick Ressler
    • All-Star Player Trae Young
    • Mascot Harry the Hawk / Magic 8 Ball / Dart Board / etc.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/27/2024 at 12:00 AM

OK, a bit of a cop out, but I selected almost every option on question #4.  Most of those options should be considered.  I would do different things based on what is available to us as we offer our pick and players.  Like Supes mentioned Jarrett Allen as a possible player coming to us and we'd do something different if there is a deal for BI.  I think that is the process they are going through. 

Sarr is the mystery.  Most reports and even an insider had been suggesting we won't pick him, but lately it seems there is a legit last minute push to consider him at #1.  I'm actually wondering if it's a business decision as they've gotten calls from season ticket holders who are threatening to walk away.  Tony doesn't want to risk losing the fan base.  

Regarding #5, I do think Tony is the biggest voice in the room.  At the end of the day, he has to pay for the long term strategy.  If it's clear that Trae is gonna walk unless we leverage more of our assets and budget to build a deep playoff team, Tony has to commit to a push like that.  So, the primary decision of the franchise direction comes down to Tony's willingness to sign off on it whether it's expansion or contraction.  

• Like 1

I am still of the view I would take Sarr #1.  That said, I don't love him as a prospect (too many tweener vibes versus multi-position weapon vibes for me), but am gambling heavily on upside.  I could see a GM getting fired over this pick if it does not pan out.

I really like the UConn guys but not at #1.

My main hope for improvement in the short term is through the trade market.  I would be exploring all possibilities for moving Murray and Capela at the least, but no one is really off the table for the right deal (I would, for example, trade Trae for Booker).

Recent history tells us you need at least 2 stars to win big in the NBA, and Murray is not the right second star for Trae.  Even factoring in the #1 pick I don't think the Hawks have an internal option to fill that role, so I am open to taking risk when I trade Murray for a younger/pre-breakout guy I think could develop into this role.  I would prefer that riskier approach versus trading for mid-tier rotation/starter-level players, though I would lean into a veteran who brings the right attitude/culture reset to the locker room.

I think the Hawks need a dose of toughness - someone who can physically and mentally dominate their opponent.  Need some dawgs.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

If I weren't on sabbatical and just viewing this as-if from a Caribbean island with a pina colada in hand on the beach, just taking in the view, I would be so so so rattled right now... 3 dozen ways to screw this up, and seemingly no way to actually come out of it feeling like my team is on an upward trajectory... no matter what, on the other side of this, the result is a giant experiment under the guidance of a GM who we all understand is still young and learning, and who at times feels the proverbial heavy breath of the financier on the back of his neck, an owner who maintains plausible deniability while ensuring his people stay within boundaries pertinent to his financial statements.

The prayer is that Landry Addison Fields shares DNA with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a basketball prodigy that is about to be revealed to the NBA and the world... able to not only negotiate an astounding feat in terms of working with and around other GMs toward ideal player personnel outcomes, but then too, able to manage his boss, selling him on his every move every time he has to experience the "challenge" meetings... even to the point of persuading his boss that there is sufficient income to keep his spreadsheets satisfied.

Hope it works out for y'all, I really sincerely do.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

My board:
Sarr
Sheppard
Knecht
Risacher

I'm drafting Sarr 1st overall and not blinking:
What you're looking for in the lottery is a franchise player that can put the team on his back.  It doesn't matter what the odds are, that's the kind of player that you build a team around.  You can't win without him (and his partner).  YOU. CAN'T. Trading for this player or signing him as a free agent is as equally miraculous as is drafting him - with the key difference being YOUR FUTURE IS SITTING RIGHT THERE IN THE LOTTERY FREE OF CHARGE. Why on earth would you pass it up for "someone who can help." 

That's absolute nonsense.  The key to finding a future star isn't fit, defensive aptitude, nuance, size, maturity, attitude...it's upside.  Those other qualities are fine extra qualifiers, but you can't start prioritizing those things until you are clear of the draft's sweet spot.  The absolute worst decision we can make is to use the top pick of the draft, stay or trade, in any year, to choose someone who fits with the plan.  The second worst is leaving money on the table as we did when we left the lottery process too early. 

We have a second shot, we need to make the most of it, trade or stay...period.

Clingan
I believe he is going to be a fine NBA player.  I have zero doubts that he will be a productive starter on a good team.  I used to push back against the argument for a "modern big" until I lived through it with Capela, OO, and Collins (when his shot fell off).  I'm not interested in any big man that clogs the lane and doesn't at least appear to have shooting mechanics and instincts.  I've seen it.  Clingan isn't the pick unless we're trading down to 4 and I would sooner pick Knecht.

Risacher
I don't agree with @bleachkit very often, but he described Risacher as a tall guy that can shoot.  Dammit if that don't just say it all for me.  He looks like a standard wing prospect or maybe I'm just having PTSD from the 2019 draft where all those lottery wings turned out uninspiring.  Either way, I am admittedly putting faith in the scouts who have been watching him and have him ranked so high.  If you were to put all these players in front of me, without an outside opinion, and having never seen them before...I'm not sure I'd have Risacher in my top 3.

Honorable mentions:
The only other player that I would consider if we didn't take Sarr is Reed Sheppard.  If Sarr were off the board, I would also take Reed and not blink.  I would take him EVEN WITH TRAE ON THIS TEAM - sort it out later with a trade.  If we were still at 10 or if we added another mid-lottery pick in this draft, I would take Dalton Knecht and not blink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Take Clingan at 1.. I'm getting cold feet on the french guys

I'm still Team Sarr but I'm a lot less adamant about it.  And I'm trending your way fast.  Can't shake this nagging feeling that Clingan ends up being the better player long term.  It's just that the Sarr upside is so intriguing.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wretch said:

My board:
Sarr
Sheppard
Knecht
Risacher

I'm drafting Sarr 1st overall and not blinking:
What you're looking for in the lottery is a franchise player that can put the team on his back.  It doesn't matter what the odds are, that's the kind of player that you build a team around.  You can't win without him (and his partner).  YOU. CAN'T. Trading for this player or signing him as a free agent is as equally miraculous as is drafting him - with the key difference being YOUR FUTURE IS SITTING RIGHT THERE IN THE LOTTERY FREE OF CHARGE. Why on earth would you pass it up for "someone who can help." 

That's absolute nonsense.  The key to finding a future star isn't fit, defensive aptitude, nuance, size, maturity, attitude...it's upside.  Those other qualities are fine extra qualifiers, but you can't start prioritizing those things until you are clear of the draft's sweet spot.  The absolute worst decision we can make is to use the top pick of the draft, stay or trade, in any year, to choose someone who fits with the plan.  The second worst is leaving money on the table as we did when we left the lottery process too early. 

We have a second shot, we need to make the most of it, trade or stay...period.

Clingan
I believe he is going to be a fine NBA player.  I have zero doubts that he will be a productive starter on a good team.  I used to push back against the argument for a "modern big" until I lived through it with Capela, OO, and Collins (when his shot fell off).  I'm not interested in any big man that clogs the lane and doesn't at least appear to have shooting mechanics and instincts.  I've seen it.  Clingan isn't the pick unless we're trading down to 4 and I would sooner pick Knecht.

Risacher
I don't agree with @bleachkit very often, but he described Risacher as a tall guy that can shoot.  Dammit if that don't just say it all for me.  He looks like a standard wing prospect or maybe I'm just having PTSD from the 2019 draft where all those lottery wings turned out uninspiring.  Either way, I am admittedly putting faith in the scouts who have been watching him and have him ranked so high.  If you were to put all these players in front of me, without an outside opinion, and having never seen them before...I'm not sure I'd have Risacher in my top 3.

Honorable mentions:
The only other player that I would consider if we didn't take Sarr is Reed Sheppard.  If Sarr were off the board, I would also take Reed and not blink.  I would take him EVEN WITH TRAE ON THIS TEAM - sort it out later with a trade.  If we were still at 10 or if we added another mid-lottery pick in this draft, I would take Dalton Knecht and not blink.

Appreciate the elaboration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Trend Numbers:

June 7:

Sarr 88.4% 

Risacher 4.7%

Clingan 4.7%

Edey 2.3%

June 15:

Sarr 76.7% 

Edey 9.9%

Clingan 6.7%

Knecht 3.3%

Bronny 3.3%

June 25:

Sarr 68.6% 

Clingan 25.7%

Risacher 5.7%

LOL, noone wants Risacher he is the overwhelming favorite for us to draft.  :banghead:

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Damn I'm in the minority that sees potential in Risacher lol if he pans out, hes going to have immense value as a very good shooting wing and hopefully plus defender.  I don't feel strongly about it but he was my pick if we stay at #1.

These are my general thoughts:

On 6/20/2024 at 11:23 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

I know there are concerns about Risacher's athletic testing at the combine, buuuuuuuuuuuut.........I think he still has functional in game NBA athleticism. What I like about him is the quickness with which he makes decisions with the ball and without, in constant motion - unlike someone like Hunter who has to catch the ball and diagnose before making a move.

On 6/20/2024 at 12:23 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd play him at SG to start, he will have a length advantage over most. A taller Bogi perhaps. His off ball movement, quick release and perimeter defense is what Trae needs next to him.

• Like 1