• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2024 draft thread

Alex

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A deal like this require ALL parties to agree without tipping their hand. What if Wiz didn't want to part with #26. What if Spurs weren't willing to include 8 which they traded for a future unprotected pick and a swap?

When you have the first pick of the draft there is no "tipping your hand" from the Hawks point of view. You look at offers and agree or disagree.  The sentiment I'm hearing is the Hawks wanted more than 2 and 26 or whatever was offered by other teams. Teams felt it was too much and the Hawks just drafted Risacher.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, terrell said:

I missed the 1st part of the draft, my wife text that she loved that French guys attitude(Risacher), and that the  other one(Sarr) seemed like a conceited ass... lol

He's comes off as a very humble kid with a hint of naiveness and optimism. Makes you remember these are teenagers accomplishing their dreams.

I didn't want him, but those qualities make it impossible to root against him, atleast while he's developing early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hawkmoor said:

When you have the first pick of the draft there is no "tipping your hand" from the Hawks point of view. You look at offers and agree or disagree.  The sentiment I'm hearing is the Hawks wanted more than 2 and 26 or whatever was offered by other teams. Teams felt it was too much and the Hawks just drafted Risacher.

Wiz had no reason to trade with us. It was widely known we weren't taking Sarr.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Wiz had no reason to trade with us. It was widely known we weren't taking Sarr.

I mean, duh, lmao.  Thats what makes it worst. Nobody even had to go figure out anything. The Hawks were high fiving over a guy nobody else most likely but THEM would have taken at 1 in that draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aali34 said:

He's comes off as a very humble kid with a hint of naiveness and optimism. Makes you remember these are teenagers accomplishing their dreams.

I didn't want him, but those qualities make it impossible to root against him, atleast while he's developing early.

I agree with that point of view. Again, nobody is really against the guy.  Its where the Hawks drafted him and not getting anything else out of the deal which is bothering folks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GameTime said:

"Hawks viewed Sheppard as a "Mahomes type player"

Fields looking bad out here

Houston could be very competitive soon.  Jabari, Green, Sengun, Reed, Whitmore, the Thompson twin, Eason… veteran coach.  A ton of potential 

3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I mean, duh, lmao.  Thats what makes it worst. Nobody even had to go figure out anything. The Hawks were high fiving over a guy nobody else most likely but THEM would have taken at 1 in that draft.

Wiz were happy to take Risacher as consolation prize.. That was the problem...

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You keep saying this. You are 100 percent wrong. Not to sound like a jerk but this is just wrong. 

Multiple teams had him as the BEST prospect in this draft. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

It's my impression that Givony has earned his place at ESPN as their go-to NBA draft guru, going back to his Draft Express days. What I have heard and read from him seems to be highly complimentary, if not glowing, about Risacher. Similar respect for Wasserman over at B/R--at times I've tracked it, he's routinely been right there neck-and-neck with Givony in terms of mock draft vs. actual results.

Givony sees a Khris Middleton comp, while Wasserman sees a Harrison Barnes comp. No, neither of those comps should turn any heads, and to the contrary, both are depressing in light of that #1 slot.

But glass half-full, in their prime, both players were significant assets to their teams. If you just forget where Risacher was picked and just focus on what he may be capable of bringing to a contending team after he's had a few years to mature, that should feel satisfying. Obviously, you can only draft players that are actually on the board, and of those on the board, conventional wisdom was that Risacher was at or near the top. Intelligent minds can disagree, but it should give some comfort that it appears a lot of intelligent minds coalesced behind the reasoning for drafting Risacher number one.

I'm granting Landry a full benefit of a doubt on that decision, until proven unmerited... and that's going to take awhile to unfold, of course.

Okay sooooooooooooooooo.... don't see myself back here for awhile, given the Ressler ceiling that will necessarily cinch off any actual assault on a title anyways... so muchadoaboutnothin, unless/until that elusive Saul to Paul conversion would materialize.

(Respect you big-time, Soth, but I just need more than words to counter the words, decisions and behaviors that have been openly observable for all these years.)

Cowboys training camp gets going in 3 weeks, and it's really going to be a pivotal year, having both a head coach and a QB on expiring contracts... excited about it, actually. I do subscribe to the idea that sometimes when backs are against the wall, it forces issues that, in reality, need to be forced. NFL season can't get here soon enough.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Idk yall, I like ZRs mental processing speed, much better then Hunters. He decides whether to cut, flair, curl, shoot, drive, pass in an instant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Hiring a completely unexperienced GM maybe not the best decision in hindsight 

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I agree with that point of view. Again, nobody is really against the guy.  Its where the Hawks drafted him and not getting anything else out of the deal which is bothering folks.

image.png

Hawks drafted him where pretty much everyone else had him, #1.  Not sure how the takeaway is Landry is an inexperienced GM lol... should not really be much of a takeaway at all with this selection because it was expected.  Wemby called him the most talented player in this class for a reason -- normally not a meaningful statement but the other top prospect is also French.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Idk yall, I like ZRs mental processing speed, much better then Hunters. He decides whether to cut, flair, curl, shoot, drive, pass in an instant. 

You know Quin was antsy to pick him as soon as he started watching footage

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

What’s disappointing to me isn’t just the pick, it’s that that’s all we got with the number one pick. I was hoping for what @Sothron laid out recently, that we would walk away with either 

1. Sarr (if Wiz didn’t trade for him)

2. Risacher or Clingan + the 26 pick (if Wiz did trade for Sarr)

or

3. Clingan, 26, plus picks from Spurs. 

What happened to that plan? 

26 isn’t a lot, but it’s still better than just Risacher and that’s it. Especially in a year we don’t have a second round pick. 

What happens when a draft is weak as f***

• Like 1