• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2024 draft thread

Alex

17 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You keep saying this. You are 100 percent wrong. Not to sound like a jerk but this is just wrong. 

Multiple teams had him as the BEST prospect in this draft. 

Really.  At this point I don't even care.  

12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

image.png

Hawks drafted him where pretty much everyone else had him, #1.  Not sure how the takeaway is Landry is an inexperienced GM lol... should not really be much of a takeaway at all with this selection because it was expected.  Wemby called him the most talented player in this class for a reason -- normally not a meaningful statement but the other top prospect is also French.

I don't even care anymore.  Really.

13 minutes ago, Threezus said:

If we play Risacher at the 2 and he can play a off ball defensive wing with 38 to 40%+ shooting from 3 with great hustle.   Sorta like a bigger version of Klay but a little less talented.   Then this will be a good pick because thats exactly what you need at the 2 next to trae.  A guy who doesn't want nor need the ball in his hands all the time thats the issue him and murray had.  Risa is probably the correct type of player you want next to trae at the 2 if he can handle it that works best off trae's strengths.     My issue will be is if they try to put him at the 3 and have him go against bigger SF's and PF where his strengths get minimized.   Gonna take a wait and see approach here to see what the team and FO does with him before i consider it a good or bad pick.    I don't dislike the player nor the talent if they use him right but i really feel they are going to try to replace hunter with him and i think that will be a dumb move.   Unless you can get a true all star bigger 2 way SG next to Trae to make up the difference.

I heard they see him as a 2/3.. I like him at SG also..

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, terrell said:

I heard they see him as a 2/3.. I like him at SG also..

If they use him mainly as a 2 and then 3 in certain lineups then yeah i think it's a strong pick.  I was worried they was going to try to do with him what they are doing with JJ and to me thats not his game. 

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

From one source...it takes two to tango. 

We tried to leverage but as @thecampsterhas said most teams didn't have a lot of separation between prospects. If we took Sarr the Wiz just take Risacher 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A deal like this require ALL parties to agree without tipping their hand. What if Wiz didn't want to part with #26. What if Spurs weren't willing to include 8 which they traded for a future unprotected pick and a swap?

Yes, but the point being I see Sarr as the better prospect. So if walking away with only one guy at the end of the night, then he’s the one.

Risacher is not as good of a prospect, but Risacher + an additional asset (like Filipowski for example) would have been a a fine outcome, too. Risacher alone is suboptimal. 

But whatever. Water under the bridge now I guess. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Threezus said:

If we play Risacher at the 2 and he can play a off ball defensive wing with 38 to 40%+ shooting from 3 with great hustle.   Sorta like a bigger version of Klay but a little less talented.   Then this will be a good pick because thats exactly what you need at the 2 next to trae.  A guy who doesn't want nor need the ball in his hands all the time thats the issue him and murray had.  Risa is probably the correct type of player you want next to trae at the 2 if he can handle it that works best off trae's strengths.     My issue will be is if they try to put him at the 3 and have him go against bigger SF's and PF where his strengths get minimized.   Gonna take a wait and see approach here to see what the team and FO does with him before i consider it a good or bad pick.    I don't dislike the player nor the talent if they use him right but i really feel they are going to try to replace hunter with him and i think that will be a dumb move.   Unless you can get a true all star bigger 2 way SG next to Trae to make up the difference.

Agreed, it would be great if Risa can play the 2! The hurdles the team would have to address with playing him at 2 with Trae is POA (prone to getting beaten off the dribble), but Risa can be a solid help defender and is said to have a solid Def IQ. Risa doesn’t have a plus wingspan, nor is he physical enough to body big wings (will need to add NBA strength). Ideally he can play at the 2 next to a POA defender at the 3.

Edited by djjob23
  • Like 3

I wouldn't say Klay is more talented. Risacher is clearly more talented but Klay was way more polished offensively as a prospect. His frame was more ready too but he was 21, Risacher is 19 and Risacher does have broad shoulders so he should get to 210 range in a couple years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aali34 said:

I imagine @NBASupes is happy. ZR plays as a spacer the way he wanted Reddish to if I'm not mistaken.

He's probably pissed Ja got Edey instead of Trae.... 😀

With that said, we really need a new BIG man...... 

LF needs to get to work with trades.....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, terrell said:

He's probably pissed Ja got Edey instead of Trae.... 😀

With that said, we really need a new BIG man...... 

LF needs to get to work with trades.....

I am happy. I knew Edey wasn't coming here nearly a month ago unless we traded back. 

Edey landed in a great situation 

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am happy. I knew Edey wasn't coming here nearly a month ago unless we traded back. 

You said edey was an option for hawks this entire month. I had to keep telling you he wasn’t and was never on the board 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yeah I figured... I was just messing around.. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

What’s disappointing to me isn’t just the pick, it’s that that’s all we got with the number one pick. I was hoping for what @Sothron laid out recently, that we would walk away with either 

1. Sarr (if Wiz didn’t trade for him)

2. Risacher or Clingan + the 26 pick (if Wiz did trade for Sarr)

or

3. Clingan, 26, plus picks from Spurs. 

What happened to that plan? 

26 isn’t a lot, but it’s still better than just Risacher and that’s it. Especially in a year we don’t have a second round pick. 

This is what stands out to me the morning after.  We tipped our hand that we wouldn’t draft Sarr and killed what should have been amazing leverage to force Washington to trade up.  They made it clear they were Sarr or bust.  Should have been very easy to pull this off.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A deal like this require ALL parties to agree without tipping their hand. What if Wiz didn't want to part with #26. What if Spurs weren't willing to include 8 which they traded for a future unprotected pick and a swap?

What if the Hawks made it clear they weren’t taking Sarr so that the Wizards felt they could call our feeble bluff?  Probably laughed out loud when we called.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Wiz had no reason to trade with us. It was widely known we weren't taking Sarr.

This.  We suck at creating leverage and undermine ourselves.

Message from our GM:

”We aren’t going to take Sarr and are thinking hard about Risacher, Sheppard and Clingan.”

Draft day:

”Gee, wonder why Washington won’t trade up for Sarr?”

Next on the agenda.  Trade DJM.  Message from our GM:

”Obviously Trae and DJM suck together.”

Nothing ominous about how this will play out,

• Sad 2