• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2024 draft thread

Alex

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

It's kind of funny to see how second round picks are just passed around like candy sometimes. Only 4 teams are drafting with their actual 2024 second round pick. The rest of them look like a bunch of connecting flights. 

WOW - good catch.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

It's kind of funny to see how second round picks are just passed around like candy sometimes. Only 4 teams are drafting with their actual 2024 second round pick. The rest of them look like a bunch of connecting flights. 

...that forced a +1 audible chuckle from me.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Should the Hawks buy or trade for a 2nd round pick?

I'm indifferent.  If the Hawks see someone they believe in then sure.  Otherwise I'm fine to pass.  We have a lot of young players to feed between Zacc, Bufkin, Landry, and Gueye and only so many spots to use on guys who likely won't play a meaningful role for this team next season (or frankly ever if you look at the historical numbers).  There are absolutely guys who become true stars after not making the first round but it has been so long since the Hawks drafted a second rounder who was a little useful for us that I'm not particularly invested in scratching that lottery ticket.  (That player for me is 2012 second rounder Mike Scott.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

A 2nd rounders chance of cracking a rotation is so miniscule it's almost a complete waste of time and money.

If we are serious about our development program in the GL it's not a waste.  We traded up for Gueye last year and gave him a 2nd Round Exception contract - was that a waste of time and money?  

Not having our picks for the next 3 years we have to find those diamonds in the rough and develop them. They are low cost contracts for good developing players, that is the hope.

We have 3 two-way spots to fill, well maybe 2 if Lundy still has one.  Vit will probably get an NBA deal.  Trent has a non-guaranteed NBA deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who are you favorites in the 2nd round?

Should the Hawks buy or trade for a 2nd round pick?

I was pretty intrigued by Filipowski as a stretch 4/5, which we don't really have right now.  Although when I looked up his shooting numbers last night, they weren't nearly as good as I thought they were.  47% FG, 31% 3P, 72% FT for his career... not horrible, but definitely nothing to get excited about.

Edited by Phunkabilly

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we are serious about our development program in the GL it's not a waste.  We traded up for Gueye last year and gave him a 2nd Round Exception contract - was that a waste of time and money?  

Not having our picks for the next 3 years we have to find those diamonds in the rough and develop them. They are low cost contracts for good developing players, that is the hope.

We have 3 two-way spots to fill, well maybe 2 if Lundy still has one.  Vit will probably get an NBA deal.  Trent has a non-guaranteed NBA deal.

That's great and all but doesn't contribute to winning. It's more like a business model to sustain cheaper contracting players to fill roster spots on your main NBA team.

I'm sure you of all people know it's a top-ended talent league for winning..

Unless you personally like watching a franchise run like a business and not so much focused on winning into the top 4 of the conference each year.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

That's great and all but doesn't contribute to winning. It's more like a business model to sustain cheaper contracting players to fill roster spots on your main NBA team.

I'm sure you of all people know it's a top-ended talent league for winning..

Unless you personally like watching a franchise run like a business and not so much focused on winning into the top 4 of the conference each year.

but the seconds if developed correctly will be used to supplement your bench when we have the top end talent with high salaries.  Miami has had a reputation for doing exactly this. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

but the seconds if developed correctly will be used to supplement your bench when we have the top end talent with high salaries.  Miami has had a reputation for doing exactly this. 

Precisely — Scouting and developing 2nd rounders is just necessary economics and roster management.

53 minutes ago, terrell said:

“Instincts” — The Krispy Kreme hot light in word form

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, terrell said:

Good watch.  (Although I did find it funny when then they bagged on Sarr for averaging 9 points off the bench when Risacher averaged 10 points as a starter.  Not sure what a dig on PPG was supposed to communicate.)

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm happy with Zach actually.   Good shooting wings with size and D are always valuable.   Sarr is going to be better but we know what happened there.   Clingan going 7 tells you what the NBA thinks of his potential.  Good but not great.   To me Zach or Matas were the only real choices for us. 

"Sarr is going to be better"

Wanna bet? lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShayD said:

When he is locking up guys and hitting shots and just being better than Nickeil Alexander-Walker was this year for them then people will start wondering why he fell so far

Minny did really well.  Terrence Shannon going to be a good one I think.