• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2024 draft thread

Alex

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

1) apologies for getting stuck in the insider thread last night. I was on my phone and missed this separate thread.

2) I'd like it noted for the permanent record what could have come out of this draft.  Had the Hawks executed a 1 for 7/14 and filler swap, they could have had any two of Clingan/Edey paired with Buzelis, Dillingham, Williams, Topic, Carter, Knecht, da Silva.  When we autopsy this draft, remember to compare Risacher with any combination of 2 of those players + possible additional assets and at a lower cap hit. 

3) If we pulled off the 1 for 4/8 you can add Castle, Holland, Salaun's names to the list at a slightly higher cost.

I'm not saying Risacher is a bad player or won't work out. What I am saying is I'm sick over our terrible draft/cap strategy, player evaluation.  We're cap locked right now and a for a few years going forward. This front office needs to show me/us/the fans something over the next few weeks.

They were never taking 2 rookies in this awful class. The enticing offer from spurs was to get their pick(s) back. Not to mention you have no idea how the board falls that deep. There was a second their the grizzlies were going to be picking 6 and walk away with clingan. You make that 7/14 trade which also wasn't an option since Deni trade happened you have no idea if you land the guy you want in Donovan. a lot of moving parts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You make that 7/14 trade which also wasn't an option since Deni trade happened you have no idea if you land the guy you want in Donovan. a lot of moving parts

You make a good point regarding PTL trading 14 prior to the draft.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

After a day to get over my crushing disappointment, I came to realize I'd be pretty underwhelmed with any other selection including Sarr who I don't think is going to be a positive impact player until at least his second season and more likely his third season. Just a shit class. Not much to do but hope we picked one of the few players that will be useful. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They were never taking 2 rookies in this awful class. The enticing offer from spurs was to get their pick(s) back. Not to mention you have no idea how the board falls that deep. There was a second their the grizzlies were going to be picking 6 and walk away with clingan. You make that 7/14 trade which also wasn't an option since Deni trade happened you have no idea if you land the guy you want in Donovan. a lot of moving parts

The Grizzlies were never taking Clingan. It was a smokescreen so Edey would be available to them at 9. They were high on Clingan the whole time. I mentioned this 2 weeks ago before news broke of his promise in the top 10. I wasn't able to say "it" but I kept telling everyone 7/9/+ is where he could be going, mentioned to folks privately that barring someone they loved falling, he was going to the Grizz. I had a blow up post where I hinted at it.  It was always Edey.  Edey had a few workouts where he did bad things to people, the Griz workout was one of them. In one of his workouts, he was run through PNR coverage for a solid 10 minutes (run, reset, run reset) and did much better than anticipated.  He shot the 3 of the Griz and did well (not as hard of a drill Utah put him through). There was talk of teams trading in front of them for Edey at 7 and so they smokescreened they were looking at Clingan.

• Like 2

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The Grizzlies were never taking Clingan. It was a smokescreen so Edey would be available to them at 9. They were high on Clingan the whole time. I mentioned this 2 weeks ago before news broke of his promise in the top 10. I wasn't able to say "it" but I kept telling everyone 7/9/+ is where he could be going, mentioned to folks privately that barring someone they loved falling, he was going to the Grizz. I had a blow up post where I hinted at it.  It was always Edey.  Edey had a few workouts where he did bad things to people, the Griz workout was one of them. In one of his workouts, he was run through PNR coverage for a solid 10 minutes (run, reset, run reset) and did much better than anticipated.  He shot the 3 of the Griz and did well (not as hard of a drill Utah put him through). There was talk of teams trading in front of them for Edey at 7 and so they smokescreened they were looking at Clingan.

Are you sure you're allowed to smokescreen interest in a player to take advantage of other teams in the draft?  Seems like a ploy that the Hawks could have used....

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Mogbo at pick #44?? Thoughts? Bey replacement?

Jonathan Mogbo – Age 22.64 – PF – San Francisco – Height 6'7.5'' - Wingspan 7'2 - Weight 217 lbs

Strengths

Jonathan Mogbo is one of the most versatile offensive bigs in this draft class, combining good passing with great finishing ability. When he isn’t able to dunk, he shrugs off any contact on the ground with relative ease, converting 71% of his shots around the rim for SF. The quality that sets him apart from players with a similar skillset is his playmaking. No matter the play or situation, Mogbo has consistently displayed vision and precision when setting up his teammates.

Unlike most bigs who excel on offense, Jonathan Mogbo does not completely fall off on defense and can sometimes hold his own against more agile players. Even when he gets beaten off the dribble, the 22-year-old stays in the play and uses his speed, verticality and timing to swat away shots from behind. Those physical tools mixed with a lot of effort also helped Mogbo be a solid rebounder for San Francisco, despite his lack of size.

Weaknesses

At 6'7.5'' feet, Mogbo is simply not tall enough to play at center, unless he finds a scenario where he can take on a Draymond Green-type role. To function as a power forward in the modern NBA, he would need to add a somewhat respectable three-point shot to his repertoire. In his one year at San Francisco, he only took two three-pointers and missed both. The silver lining is that the midrange attempts he put up didn’t look too uncomfortable and he shot 69% from the charity stripe, which hints at some potential in the outside shot department.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Round #2 starts at 4PM

As soon as I turn my TV on - they talking about Bronny. LOL

You posted this 15 minutes ago.....and they're still going. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Mogbo at pick #44?? Thoughts? Bey replacement?

Jonathan Mogbo – Age 22.64 – PF – San Francisco – Height 6'7.5'' - Wingspan 7'2 - Weight 217 lbs

Strengths

Jonathan Mogbo is one of the most versatile offensive bigs in this draft class, combining good passing with great finishing ability. When he isn’t able to dunk, he shrugs off any contact on the ground with relative ease, converting 71% of his shots around the rim for SF. The quality that sets him apart from players with a similar skillset is his playmaking. No matter the play or situation, Mogbo has consistently displayed vision and precision when setting up his teammates.

Unlike most bigs who excel on offense, Jonathan Mogbo does not completely fall off on defense and can sometimes hold his own against more agile players. Even when he gets beaten off the dribble, the 22-year-old stays in the play and uses his speed, verticality and timing to swat away shots from behind. Those physical tools mixed with a lot of effort also helped Mogbo be a solid rebounder for San Francisco, despite his lack of size.

Weaknesses

At 6'7.5'' feet, Mogbo is simply not tall enough to play at center, unless he finds a scenario where he can take on a Draymond Green-type role. To function as a power forward in the modern NBA, he would need to add a somewhat respectable three-point shot to his repertoire. In his one year at San Francisco, he only took two three-pointers and missed both. The silver lining is that the midrange attempts he put up didn’t look too uncomfortable and he shot 69% from the charity stripe, which hints at some potential in the outside shot department.

Gone to the raps.

• Premium Member

I’m a firm believer in bigs who can pass — that trait tends to indicate outsized feel that can worm itself into other facets of the game — and Ighodaro is the best passing big in the draft. He is very comfortable operating from the elbows and hitting cutters or operating dribble handoffs, and his size and leaping ability should make him at least a decent rim runner on the tail end of those actions. Ighodaro can also handle the ball well enough that Marquette occasionally ran inverted pick-and-rolls for him. While he’s not an outside shooting threat, he does have a nice floater game he can get to when the rim is blocked off.