• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that that's done, time to start figuring out who will be this off-season's payroll sacrificial lamb?

sturt

• Premium Member

Knicks are up against the new hard cap apron. Hawks are still in the first apron. Big difference.

This is the offseason where we see if Ressler will actually pay the LT or we just strip down more of the team and get ready for the inevitable Trae trade demand down the road.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

While it's easy to say Hunter, idk. At the end of the day, I think both of these guys will be packaged for a bigger contract of a player which is more of a need 

I hope so.

It can't just be s salary clearing move like last year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I hope so.

It can't just be s salary clearing move like last year

I've said it before but I've genuinely heard due to use not having our own pick, there is serious interest in paying the LT as long as it's 1st apron at the max. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Knicks are up against the new hard cap apron. Hawks are still in the first apron. Big difference.

This is the offseason where we see if Ressler will actually pay the LT or we just strip down more of the team and get ready for the inevitable Trae trade demand down the road.

My guy.  We've said that for a while now.  The draft wasn't ever going to change the trajectory of this team.  The Super Bowl starts now.  I'm just not sure the organization/LF, whomever is going to make smart (couldn't think of another word) enough moves to satisfy our star and move us to the upper echelon of the league.  This "Hawks DNA" is a hollow use of terminology until it ain't.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ayton is a toxic contract and a team should be paid in picks for being willing to take him at this point.  He isn’t that good and has a big attitude problem.  If we flip DJM for him that will be taking an asset and trading it for a liability.  Even if we think he can improve, we need to pay according to his current market value which is very low.  The idea of acquiring him feels like us acquiring Dwight Howard to me.  Big mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ayton is a toxic contract and a team should be paid in picks for being willing to take him at this point.  He isn’t that good and has a big attitude problem.  If we flip DJM for him that will be taking an asset and trading it for a liability.  Even if we think he can improve, we need to pay according to his current market value which is very low.  The idea of acquiring him feels like us acquiring Dwight Howard to me.  Big mistake.

There is absolutely no interest in Ayton for Murray. I think you misread what I wrote. 

He's more in the lines of Capela centric deals. 

I like Ayton for us. He's good at the things we need him to be good at. That said, he's the Dre of centers. Over paid and everyone is always looking for an upgrade over him 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There is no interest in Ayton for Murray. I think you misread what I wrote. 

He's more in the lines of Capela centric deals. 

Thanks.  I still think Capela to Ayton is a wash in terms of play and comes at a premium price sucking up another $13M of money to make it happen.  Seems really foolish to waste much time thinking about this unless Porland is sending us something really amazing to pay us for taking Ayton's deal.

If you said I could add Ayton to the Hawks roster and it wouldn't cost us anything I would say, "no thank you."

• Moderators

image.png

image.png

Why pay $34M and $35.5M the next two seasons for someone whose big advantages are that he shoots more often than Clint (but not any more effectively) and who hits his free throws better when he is a worse rebounder and shotblocker?   Clint kind of destroys Ayton in the advanced metrics for last year.  Ayton also isn't as healthy as Capela.  Just feels like a downgrade at a premium price.

To even think about this, you must believe that Trae was responsible for much of Clint's production and that he would make Ayton a ton better.  While I do think there is a kernel of truth in Trae's ability to pump the stats of his big men, Ayton is not the guy I would go out on a limb for given his attitude, lack of effort, and lack of impact everywhere he has played.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

image.png

image.png

Why pay $34M and $35.5M the next two seasons for someone whose big advantages are that he shoots more often than Clint (but not any more effectively) and who hits his free throws better when he is a worse rebounder and shotblocker?   Clint kind of destroys Ayton in the advanced metrics for last year.  Ayton also isn't as healthy as Capela.  Just feels like a downgrade at a premium price.

To even think about this, you must believe that Trae was responsible for much of Clint's production and that he would make Ayton a ton better.  While I do think there is a kernel of truth in Trae's ability to pump the stats of his big men, Ayton is not the guy I would go out on a limb for given his attitude, lack of effort, and lack of impact everywhere he has played.

I do believe Ayton is just much better in PnR play and screening at this stage. As he was terrible in the 1st half of last year but he was superior in the 2nd half. Like I said, he's the Dre of centers 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

he's the Dre of centers 

Not much of an endorsement at his price if I'm being honest.  In defense of Dre, I've never seen him as disinterested on the floor as some of the clips I've seen of Ayton.

If I'm paying $34-$35M at the center position, I better be getting true impact in return.  And if I'm taking that contract on for Portland, I better be getting some picks and/or value players in the deal.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I do believe Ayton is just much better in PnR play and screening at this stage. As he was terrible in the 1st half of last year but he was superior in the 2nd half. Like I said, he's the Dre of centers 

There is a $10+ salary difference.  Dre maybe a lot of things but he doesn't have Ayton's me first attitude.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

image.png

image.png

Throw in that were just helping another team make room for a guy we reportedly wanted *a lot* lol.