• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Well, we don't know what protections would be on the pick, but I would say this is the first decent deal we've heard about for Hunter.  That's why I think we should do it.  

Exactly.  There's a reason we haven't pulled the trigger.  A lottery protected future pick and a below average player isn't the value you'd want for a 3&D young player with size. 

I just don't know if 1) we may want to keep him 2) other teams don't value him that much 3) we think we can get a better deal later.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I just don't know if 1) we may want to keep him 2) other teams don't value him that much 3) we think we can get a better deal later.  

I'm leaning to #2, but think #3 is possible.  Are we holding out for something better?  Could be.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I watch the pelicans.  Nance doesn't have the foot speed to guard modern fours. He literally has played at least 85% of his minutes at center the last two seasons. 

He's not a pf anymore. I can't stress that enough. 

So what are we going to do with our 5 centers?  Is September the next time we may make a deal?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

It means that to our FO we have 4 centers on the roster in Capela, OO, Bruno, and Nance.

5 centers: CC, OO, Bruno, Nance and Zeller

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I watch the pelicans.  Nance doesn't have the foot speed to guard modern fours. He literally has played at least 85% of his minutes at center the last two seasons. 

Cool so we have 4 Centers on guaranteed contracts (CC, OO, Nance, Zeller) plus Bruno who we all want back.

Likewise we only have (1) PF with real NBA minutes in Jalen. He is backed up by (2) guys on our SL team right now.

Is it more or less likely we move (2) centers before the season AND add a playable PF or just shift over the guy who has experience at the 4 and high enough IQ to figure it out.

Horford left Atlanta having only ever played Center to go somewhere they would let him get minutes at PF, nshooting .344 from 3. Nance shot .415 from deep last season, better than JJ. I don’t see how he isn’t at least in the mix as a backup 4 to give us more size.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sothron said:

What do you think are the odds Capela, Hunter, Nance (and Zeller for that matter) are on the team next year?

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

So what are we going to do with our 5 centers?  Is September the next time we may make a deal?

They have to trade at least one.  I can see them waiving seller to keep Bruno 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

5 centers: CC, OO, Bruno, Nance and Zeller

Forgot about Zeller!

wow so 5 centers….that’s crazy. Well one thing is for sure…we at least know another move is coming lol

may be big, may be small but there will definitely be another move before the season.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

I'm not triggered by Tony making money to the point I just want to keep expensive role players the head coach doesn't like. 

Our financial position has sucked.  Making it even better is a win in my book.  

This is a difference in our perspective.  If the team is worse and it risks upsetting the apple cart with Trae, I think there is a point at which paying a premium for a role player is worth it especially if it isn't something that brings flexibility to improve the team but instead is just extra money for ownership.  If we start from the idea that ownership is not under any responsibility to pay the tax, I think that fans have a reasonable right to expect ownership to use all other available resources to deliver the best product on the floor.  There can be a dialogue around what that means (do you invest in a young improving player so next year you are better versus an established role player with less upside who makes you better this year) but regardless the measurement is around how good a team is on the floor.  So a simple Grant Williams for DeAndre Hunter trade where that trade doesn't lead to subsequent moves to improve the team is something fans have every right to complain about if the team is less competitive as a result because the team is non-tax paying whether they deal Hunter for Williams or not.  As a fan I expect them to do something like salary dump from Hunter to Williams and then add salary by trading Nance and CC for Ayton if they are going to do a dump trade when already under the tax line.  (I'm not commenting on whether Ayton is a good addition but at least in that scenario there is execution to create flexibility by salary dumping and then use that flexibility to add someone you otherwise could not have added without going into the tax.)

Just having hypothetical unused flexibility as a fan is worth exactly what the TPE was worth to me last season:

Army Of Darkness Sad GIF

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, ShayD said:

How did it even reach a point where they would have to decide whether to waive a player making 3mil+.

We didn't combine the Jonas trade with our DJM trade to avoid adding worthless salary in Zeller.  Still haven't heard an explanation as to why that is the case.  I hope at some point a cap expert explains that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Not all 4's are Jaylen Johnson LOL!

Our guy is  "Jalen", 

That guy on Boston is Jaylen...😀

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

When I say start the season I'm talking about offseason.  Before we cut Collins we were way over the luxury tax line. 

Hunter can prove he's not overpaid at any point by getting an offer to reflect he represents a value contract.  I don't think the league sees him that way.  Do you? 

There are gonna be signings above the MLE for role players, of course.  Largely those players are getting squeezed, or will be increasingly more squeezed. But Hunter is not on OG's level, right?  

All of this ignores the question of does Quin want to commit to Hunter?  Do you think he sees him as a starter or future 6th man?  I don't. So that makes him even more of an overpay because we are compromising our play style fit for him.  

OG makes literally double what hunter does. 

But again. Hunter makes all of 20% more than market rate AT MOST. 

You can dislike him. I'm not a huge fan. But acting like he's making 40 million dollars is a bit absurd. 

In regards to the "Is Hunter overpaid?" debate, I made this post shortly after the Patrick Williams signing.  Williams is about as close of a comp to Hunter as I can think of... they share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses in their careers thus far.  In synopsis, I think Hunter is overpaid by ~$5M per season based on the current market, which obviously does not make him a value, but also does not make him an albatross of a contract either.  An offer of Grant Williams + a decently protected first seems about right value-wise with this market value assumption.  Personally, I'm not a fan of Grant and am hopeful that Quin can make further strides with Hunter this season, so I wouldn't do the deal.  But I also understand that Hunter's seemingly slow processing ability on offense can be a death knell in Quin's offense, so I wouldn't tar and feather Landry if he pulled the trigger on the deal either.
image.png.75b005a58e0df5be273721e2ad146d0d.png

• Like 2

ITs not that Hunter is bad , or Capela for that matter its more about we can be more efficient and have better fits by consolidating those 2 guys, but I do agree if the deal isnt there we def just keep them.  

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

its more about we can be more efficient

The least efficient player in the starting line up last year wasn't Hunter nor Capela. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i guess the pelicans want to exercise their team option on Alvarado but sure would have been nice for them to decline it and sign and trade him to us instead of Zeller to complete the deal.  That would solve two problems for us.  

Imma call Mario West and Dion Glover out of retirement too.  F the Villanova Knicks... we about to break out the Atlanta Yellow Jackets!