• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member

When Woody pushed Smoove to sticking to the paint or the post, he was so good and effective. And then...he just decided long two's or threes were better. And he was terrible at that point and nothing made him change back. 

Wasted talent. I agree with @AHF Smoove should have been a beloved career Hawk that had a good to great career with at least three or four AS appearances on 50 win teams.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

https://clutchpoints.com/lauri-markkanen-bruce-brown-hypothetical-trades-shake-up-nba-offseason

This article has this passage 

Clint Capela has been the big man the Atlanta Hawks have been interested in moving, dating back to last offseason. At the same time, the team hasn't been eager to move on from Capela, as they do value his production and the one-two punch that he provides with Onyeka Okongwu, who is expected to see his minutes increase moving forward.

We got another season of CC missing bunnies?🫠

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Would much rather trade Clint who doesn't seem to fit this team offensively. Nance fits as the backup to OO or JJ. 

At this point Clint is an offensive liability and I don't think the Hawks necessarily need his defense now that the wing defense has been upgraded. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Would much rather trade Clint who doesn't seem to fit this team offensively. Nance fits as the backup to OO or JJ. 

At this point Clint is an offensive liability and I don't think the Hawks necessarily need his defense now that the wing defense has been upgraded. 

A couple of things and key descriptions stand out to me.

Doesn't this sound like what the Hawks need and can definitely use if winning is most important this season

Over the years, he has proven to be a solid defensive option in the frontcourt, as well as a strong interior presence as a rebounder......

Any team searching for rebounding help this offseason is going to have interest in trading for Nance, especially since he is affordable from a contract perspective. .......... Nance due to his defensive and rebounding tendencies. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

If we anticipate needing to salary dump some next year, why not just keep Nance and let his salary expire?  Seems to tick both the longterm and shortterm boxes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A couple of things and key descriptions stand out to me.

Doesn't this sound like what the Hawks need and can definitely use if winning is most important this season

Yeah. When I read that I thought, "sounds like a guy the Hawks should trade for."  LOL  

Nance is a valuable piece for the Hawks. They need to cut or dump Zeller for roster reasons.  And then if they want to make a trade, they need to trade Clint.  I appreciate all he's done for the Hawks, but he's no longer a fitting piece to this puzzle.  Nance 100% does fit.  Don't trade a player that fits and is valuable while keeping a player that doesn't fit.  Makes no sense.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I’m nervous that we are about to be in August and have an imbalanced and crunched roster with players we know we want to move but can’t/won’t. That Murray trade made little sense for us to take on (4) players with guaranteed money next season just to now have to part ways with players we may actually want to be here because Liddell and Zeller can’t be traded and won’t be cut for nothing.

Zeller can't be traded until Dec 15th.

Liddell can be traded at any time. He just can't be combined with another player until August 6th. (Same for Nance). 

We have until September 30th to make changes in preparation for training camp October 1st.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Liddell can be traded at any time. He just can't be combined with another player until August 6th. (Same for Nance). 

We have until September 30th to make changes in preparation for training camp October 1st.

I'm not sure if he meant technically or practically but practically I think you could say they can't be traded because no one wants to clog up a roster spot with them.  I suppose we could attach them to a player people actually want or give away a pick or something but that seems kind of self-destructive when stocking picks has been a clear goal of the team and we have clearly shown a desire to own and use second round picks in the last two drafts.

I am still frustrated and wanted to know why we didn't combine the DJM trade with the Jonas V trade to avoid needing to take 2 bad contracts back.  At least taking back Liddell might have been part of what NO got out of the trade but there is no benefit to NO to forcing us to take Zeller other than hurting us as a rival team.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

sounds like we're stuck with zeller for a bit i guess.  I like Liddell though.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Liddell though.  

I hope I'm really underselling him.  We could use a young backup PF and someone in the front court with some beef.  He is a year older than Jalen Johnson so hopefully he steps up and grabs a role in the rotation this season if he is going to get there.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

I hope I'm really underselling him.  We could use a young backup PF and someone in the front court with some beef.  He is a year older than Jalen Johnson so hopefully he steps up and grabs a role in the rotation this season if he is going to get there.

Well i'm not expecting that i don't think but i don't know a ton about him honestly but seems like a good hustle guy.  

Given the restrictions on trading him and Nance opening up early august i'm thinking we're going to see another fairly big trade to get rid of some contracts. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Clint is not going anywhere.   

54 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I want to keep Nance.  I love his fit currently.  If we have to cut Bruno b/c we are stuck with Zeller so be it.  

Need to release zeller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

This team is not going to compete for anything except a lotto pick next year.   Really sad, there is no commitment to winning with this organization.   

• Sad 1