• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Usually 'rental' is used for 1 year contracts, that was my initial point.

It's an assumption based on the 35% though. Things change quickly.

We traded for DJ with 2 years left and extended him, and now traded him. (At the time everyone thought DJ would hit FAcy and want the 30% max since FVV got $40 mil.)

Cavs traded for Mitchell with 2 years left and didn't know if he'd stick around. He did and signed an extension for 3 years. Not  the 35% max.

Mitchell is a better player than Trae and the Cavs took that risk.  Regardless, my point is it's probably a big consideration.  I'm not here to report what other front offices are actually thinking, I'm just guessing based on the reporting we're hearing from our insiders and national reporters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Or another, read about Wiz taking Jonas in a SnT but not sure how it helps NOP as I haven't delved into it.

Does this have to be done by tomorrow?  That's when the new cap goes into effect.  Also hasn't the tpe already expired?

35 minutes ago, terrell said:

Here are the teams that paid the luxury tax:

BOS

DEN

GSW

LAC

LAL

MIA

MIL

PHX

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/nba-2023-24-luxury-tax-tracker/

Most of those teams underperformed. A. There is no star available for the Hawks to trade for with the available assets and go into the tax. B. If somehow a star did become available, the most likely outcome is that the Hawks would be one of the teams that paid the tax but still underperformed. GSW paid almost $177 million in tax and still missed the playoffs. Paying the tax is not synonymous with becoming a successful NBA team.

Once you see it…. What we spent on was always the problem.  

The tax is a bizarre hyper focus that has become a scape goat for our real problems.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, phoostal said:

Does this have to be done by tomorrow?  That's when the new cap goes into effect.  Also hasn't the tpe already expired?

Tomorrow is the first day FAs and trades can officially be signed and executed. The TPE expires July 9th, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, ShayD said:

If Trae makes All NBA this year would the hawks extend him to a super max? So 50mil+ a year? Would Ressler do it

If we get Ayton, Ressler better be ready for this outcome. Trae's game will finally be unlocked.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, terrell said:

In the Hawks case, paying the tax for a star player doesn’t guarantee you anything given the youth on the rest of the roster.

IMO, the Hawks need to see which of these young guys can play first, settle on their offensive/defensive identity, and then make their move in to the tax.

Nope it doesn't guarantee anything..but u need to pay if your going to get free agents..that's one reason they don't wanna sign here..Atlanta should be a top market but......I hope this young guys make that jump..but in 2 years Trae is gone and hopefully can get another pg to replace him while the others get better

9 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

If we get Ayton, Ressler better be ready for this outcome. Trae's game will finally be unlocked.

I think if he get a center that spreads the floor it opens up so much for Trae and the team 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Tomorrow is the first day FAs and trades can officially be signed and executed. The TPE expires July 9th, I think.

So will have til the 9th to get more teams in the NO trade

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

No is forbidden from being in the tax . Even worse than the Hawks honestly. 

This small franchise usually are

• Like 2

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's why I said Trae being on NOPs 'list' didn't make sense. They won't pay to build the team either.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

36 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Not surprising, I have genuine doubt they could even sustain paying it for financial reasons.  I mean, does anyone actually know any Pelicans fans? In real life? I think I saw Zion fan one time, but that guy wanted the Pels to trade him away.

33 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I did it with a Hor

:indifferent:

32 minutes ago, Uuus said:

Lololol!!

Ray hasn't cared about the Hawks as long as I have haha

Your name reminds me of Tyler Ulis, I dunno why 🤷‍♀️, welcome 🙏🏿 

• Thanks 1