• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Since defensive rating was mentioned regarding Trae, I found Ayton finished with a better defensive rating than Clint and OO. And Ingram finished with a better defensive rating than our entire team!

Bear in mind DRTG doesn’t mean much in isolation.  It isn’t like TS% where it can be used to compare two players directly.  It is extremely team context dependent.  The same player on a good defensive team can easily have a much better DRTG than a better defender on a bad defensive team.

New Orleans had a 112.9 DRTG as a team.  Ingram ranked 14th on the team with a 114 rating.  Ingram and non-defender CJ McCollum are right next to each other.  They are significantly worse than average for the team but the team is great so they have that higher rating.

The Hawks had a 119.4 DRTG as a team.  Everyone on the Hawks is going to have a much worse defensive rating than if they played on the Pelicans.  If Ingram swapped places with Hunter, he would probably have had a DRTG a lot more like Hunter’s 121.  It wouldn’t make him a better defender.  Just give him a better number.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Uuus said:

You can discuss Trae's limitations all you want and they're real. However, you can't ignore that he's the only Hawk star to lead us to ECF wins. A 22 year old going on the road to NY, Philly, and Milwaukee and never backing down from the moment. Dropping 48 and 11 on the road while shimmying and throwing backboard lobs. Hitting game winners in his first playoff game on the road in a hostile Madison Square Garden. 

Trae does not back down. Ever. 

He's performed in clutch situations over and over for us in a way no other Hawk ever has. I don't post much here but I've been following the board since the mid 2000s and been a Hawks fan since the mid 80s. Trae is one of few Hawks I've ever witnessed who gets better when the lights get brighter. He's the only one who's got multiple playoff game winners (not Nique, not Steve Smith, not Joe Johnson, Al Horford, etc).  I've never witnessed a Hawk have the self belief and bravado that he does.  You don't trade that. You embrace it and you find the right pieces around it. If it doesn't happen, you keep trying over and over again. 

55 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I love this city and this team.

As long Trae represents this organization I am going to ride for him.

The moment he leaves I will hope we bust his ass. I did it with Joe, I did it Smoove, I did it with Horford.

People can hate all they want, just have your facts straight when you do. Because I will bust your ass too if you come anyone with bad information to support your hate.

Calling people stans or whatever is a sign of a weak argument. Most of us have been Hawks fans since before Trae was born. We saw the same media narratives against Nique (selfish, me first, no defense, can’t win big with him), 

It’s always been open season against Atlanta stars. We just haven’t won enough to prove them wrong.

Trae’s not perfect. But he’s better than a lot of guys who are making a lot more money than he does. 

hallelujah-gif-7345669362677098956.gif

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Best NBA free agents remaining:

PG: Kyle Lowry, Tyus Jones, Markelle Fultz, Spencer Dinwiddie, Dennis Smith Jr.

SG: Gary Trent Jr., Malik Beasley, Luke Kennard, Isaac Okoro, Lonnie Walker IV

SF: DeMar DeRozan, Miles Bridges, Caleb Martin, Gordon Hayward, Saddiq Bey

PF: Precious Achiuwa, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Markieff Morris, Chuma Okeke

😄 Daniel Theis, Cody Zeller, JaVale McGee, Tristan Thompson, Bismack Biyombo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The only thing I heard was it expected in the range of 5/125. I don't believe teams see JJ anywhere like Franz. There are teams around the NBA that truly believe Wagner is the best player on the Magic

Is that from your 'source' or just supposition based on Keith Smiths article?

2021 Draft Class Rookie Scale Extension Updates and Projections

#20 JALEN JOHNSON – ATLANTA HAWKS

The Hawks have been aggressive about signing their players to extensions over the years. Johnson should be no different. Despite suffering some injuries, Johnson blossomed in Year 3. Atlanta is facing some long-term salary crunch, but that should be relieved via trades this summer. That should free up flexibility to get Johnson signed to a long-term deal.

Projection: Five years, $125 million, no options

https://x.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1803573346325635560

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is that from your 'source' or just supposition based on Keith Smiths article?

•  

2021 Draft Class Rookie Scale Extension Updates and Projections

#20 JALEN JOHNSON – ATLANTA HAWKS

The Hawks have been aggressive about signing their players to extensions over the years. Johnson should be no different. Despite suffering some injuries, Johnson blossomed in Year 3. Atlanta is facing some long-term salary crunch, but that should be relieved via trades this summer. That should free up flexibility to get Johnson signed to a long-term deal.

Projection: Five years, $125 million, no options

https://x.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1803573346325635560

No but that's the range I heard as well.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Bear in mind DRTG doesn’t mean much in isolation.  It isn’t like TS% where it can be used to compare two players directly.  It is extremely team context dependent.  The same player on a good defensive team can easily have a much better DRTG than a better defender on a bad defensive team.

New Orleans had a 112.9 DRTG as a team.  Ingram ranked 14th on the team with a 114 rating.  Ingram and non-defender CJ McCollum are right next to each other.  They are significantly worse than average for the team but the team is great so they have that higher rating.

The Hawks had a 119.4 DRTG as a team.  Everyone on the Hawks is going to have a much worse defensive rating than if they played on the Pelicans.  If Ingram swapped places with Hunter, he would probably have had a DRTG a lot more like Hunter’s 121.  It wouldn’t make him a better defender.  Just give him a better number.

This is my quick n dirty assessment for guys I haven't really watched-- how are your defensive metrics compared to your teammates and especially ones you spent a lot of time on the court with.  A lot of times defensive metrics will overrate centers on teams with bad perimeter defense too, because as soon as they're out of the game, or a worse center backs them up, it's a layup line with no paint protection.  Defensive stats in general are really hard to interpret. I'm jealous of baseball enthusiasts when it comes to stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

The only thing I heard was it expected in the range of 5/125. I don't believe teams see JJ anywhere like Franz. There are teams around the NBA that truly believe Wagner is the best player on the Magic

Damn, I got him in a whole second tier below Suggs, Banchero, and Isaac.  I like Wagner but his three point shooting and frequency ain’t it.  Hell White Joe Ingles’ metrics were better in many areas and he’s 53.  He and his brother do form the basis of the team’s great chemistry though, the intangibles gotta be there when you max dudes.

Edited by benhillboy

24 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Damn, I got him in a whole second tier below Suggs, Banchero, and Isaac.  I like Wagner but his three point shooting and frequency ain’t it.  Hell White Joe Ingles’ metrics were better in many areas and he’s 53.  He and his brother do form the basis of the team’s great chemistry though, the intangibles gotta be there when you max dudes.

He does a lot for winning and he can score and create for himself in many ways as well as a top notch defend. He's one of those, you gotta watch him play to see how good he actually is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

He's good but the idea of him is better than the reality.  Folks rating him highly are betting on the come.  These front office folks think they're smarter than they are.  They're wrong more often than they're not.