• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

If the Hawks trade for Ayton, I don’t want them to say anything about Hawks DNA any longer.  Because Ayton does not have Hawks DNA.  

It’s why Ayton to the Hawks doesn't pass the sniff test.  Same with Ingram, which some here pushed for, which we now have widespread confirmation will not happen as there is no Hawks interest.

The desperation to bring in a named commodity for better or worse feels a lot like the offseason we brought Murray in, which other than Supes and maybe a couple others, was widely praised.  Making no additional moves is better than a move in the wrong direction (i.e Ayton)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Let’s not KAT/Siakam this Ayton thing all offseason. No need to anchor down and divide along party lines for a guy still on another team.

We just spent months arguing about Edey, Clingan and Sarr, just to end up with Risacher.

We spent a year thinking we were flipping DJ for another top 50 player and walked away with picks and a prospect.

We end up more butthurt when things don’t go to our expectations than if we just let them play out first.

The news today should just focus on the DJ trade and what the final official deal looks like. It may not include anything extra. Let’s let that be the icing on the cake if it does. 

We will soon know our options after that goes through. If it stays quiet well after 12pm then we know they are working on something more. 

But where's the fun in that. 🤓

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It’s why Ayton to the Hawks doesn't pass the sniff test.  Same with Ingram, which some here pushed for, which we now have widespread confirmation will not happen as there is no Hawks interest.

The desperation to bring in a named commodity for better or worse feels a lot like the offseason we brought Murray in, which other than Supes and maybe a couple others, was widely praised.  Making no additional moves is better than a move in the wrong direction (i.e Ayton)

Some just really want to put a below average defensive big with Trae.  

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm admittedly on the fence on Ayton.  There's things I like and things I don't like. I think he's overpaid and I don't like the inconsistency.  But I also think he could work really well with Trae.  

From a general board commentary standpoint, there's probably too many folks who have really strong opinions and aren't willing to be open minded when they don't really know if Ayton would be good or not.  Hell, in your own post you equate Ayton to a "move in the wrong direction" while simultaneously citing Supes as being the only poster on the board to understand that Murray wasn't a fit 2 years ago - which is interesting because Supes is on record as saying Ayton would be a great fit with Trae. 

Banking on Trae Young to make Ayton better isn’t a good move.  Yes, Trae makes any big better.  The opportunity cost here is prohibitive.  You will be paying a big who isn’t any good without Trae $35 plus million per season, and by trading for him, you continue to stunt Okongwu’s growth.  

Okongwu is not only the better player, but he’s a better fit with the direction this team clearly wants to go in with all the positional versatility around Trae. 

• Like 2

Just now, KB21 said:

Banking on Trae Young to make Ayton better isn’t a good move.  Yes, Trae makes any big better.  The opportunity cost here is prohibitive.  You will be paying a big who isn’t any good without Trae $35 plus million per season, and by trading for him, you continue to stunt Okongwu’s growth.  

Okongwu is not only the better player, but he’s a better fit with the direction this team clearly wants to go in with all the positional versatility around Trae. 

And you are hitting on some of the reasons that I would not be in favor of an Ayton trade.  Like I said, I'm on the fence.  I still think Ayton is uber talented and Trae has an innate ability to unlock bigs like few others.  So unlocking a highly talented center could exponentially improve the Hawks.  But Ayton's inconsistency is problematic because if he doesn't give good effort or is up and down all season, he's just an overpaid guy.  

So yeah, on the fence.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Alex Len was a top 10 lob threat with Trae.  

This feels like a really good argument to spend more on the wings then, no? Why tie up $35M in a center if Trae is going to make cheap centers very effective anyways.  To me, this is an argument for Okongwu starting more than anything.  And get a cheap defensive big as a backup.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm admittedly on the fence on Ayton.  There's things I like and things I don't like. I think he's overpaid and I don't like the inconsistency.  But I also think he could work really well with Trae.  

From a general board commentary standpoint, there's probably too many folks who have really strong opinions and aren't willing to be open minded when they don't really know if Ayton would be good or not.  Hell, in your own post you equate Ayton to a "move in the wrong direction" while simultaneously citing Supes as being the only poster on the board to understand that Murray wasn't a fit 2 years ago - which is interesting because Supes is on record as saying Ayton would be a great fit with Trae. 

Same. There are plusses and minuses - the question becomes which one outweighs the other and most importantly does it improve or upgrade from CC.

I do know that Trae has out paced/out grown Capela - the pairing is stuck in neutral and it's time for an upgrade. 

That's why all of last season, I kept begging to see what we had in OO has a full time starter, but alas he didn't unseat CC as the starter, he couldn't unseat him in minutes played, heck I would have been satisfied if he unseated him as the closer of games. It's a Quin question that looms large.

Something has got to give.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

My point was most of us were at a minimum, cautiously excited— I was not implying Supes is the authority on moves we should make or not.  A lot of us agree on some stuff and not other stuff and we’re all right some and wrong some.  Ayton just feels like, to me, a very high risk move in an offseason that is going to have a lot of shakeup already.  Id rather see how we do over the next year before making a move like that.

I think some need to first realize that Ayton was never this all world talent that he was built up to being during the pre draft process.  Even in college, he was a below average rim protector with a hot and cold motor.  He was also very prone to drifting towards the perimeter on offense where he has never been good.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1