• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member

I don't think anyone is mad at the insiders for sharing what they hear.

We're upset with the FO for coming up short every off-season and deadline. The frustration is with them, not you. This was the most important off-season for the Hawks and were walking away with Dyson and Nance as our "win now" players as of now. Is that enough o keep Trae. He looks completely disengaged on every social media platform already.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is why nepo-hires suck.  I truly believe the rest of the league is laughing at us.  There's a reason why everybody wants to trade for our players.  They know they're gonna win the deal.

I know NOP has a ridiculously loaded roster(top to bottom wise) but the fact their fans are still able to create not one, but TWO star type trades, AFTER trading for DJM makes me feel some type of way. Especially since their fake trades are actually still good. 

We traded DJM for their tertiary assets and now they get to make even more deals with their real assets... 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Gotcha thanks. I'm trying to figure out how the TPE restrictions work because I always heard you couldn't combine it with a player in a trade, but obviously it's more nuanced than that. 

Hypothetically, could we have taken in enough salary to fill the TPE then even more into DJs salary in on trade? Or if not that, what is the restriction on TPE usage? 

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge 🙂

I think you would do the DJ trade first with NOP players to remain under the tax. Then use the full amount of the JC TPE to trade for another player....for example the contract that DeRozan signed would fit that TPE. But that would push us close to or even pass 2nd apron territory.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

This small detail means nothing to most people, but it’s been a big factor on why we haven’t improved over the past couple years.  We’ve been starting each season with a .500 team that has a huge payroll and act shocked and disgusted when no talent is added.  

Literally everyone here is aware of our cap situation.  It's a 'reason' but not an excuse, imho.

It's not our jobs as fans to depress our expectations because they botched the cap sheet.  They have to do and be better.  Not fair or easy, but that's the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Afro said:

I know NOP has a ridiculously loaded roster(top to bottom wise) but the fact their fans are still able to create not one, but TWO star type trades, AFTER trading for DJM makes me feel some type of way. Especially since their fake trades are actually still good. 

We traded DJM for their tertiary assets and now they get to make even more deals with their real assets... 

They have a real GM.

Mic drop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My crazy trade of the Day!

John Collins and Walker Kessler for Clint Capela and a 2nd and Zeller (separate trade for Zeller since he can't be combined)

Jazz dumps Collins for the price of Kessler.

Trade JC into the newly created DJ TPE. Capela goes into the new Jazz JC TPE.

Hawks get a new CC TPE.

Easy Peasy.

You're hired, burd.

Me and @Spud2nique can be your crap-ologists. 

• Haha 2

You know all those multiple teams interested in trading for CC or Hunter? It’s really just rival GMs licking their chops lining up to see who can take advantage of Landry to most. 
They are looking at our GM like we used to look at Isaiah Thomas when he was the Knicks GM. They’ll fight over who gets to shed their negative assets for our collection of draft picks. 

• Sad 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Literally everyone here is aware of our cap situation.  It's a 'reason' but not an excuse, imho.

It's not our jobs as fans to depress our expectations because they botched the cap sheet.  They have to do and be better.  Not fair or easy, but that's the job.

They just hired a cap guru....where was he in all this. Why not throw in his two cents to NOP and say just roll the JV deal into this so no need to send us Zeller. Keep money under the tax and our roster spot.

There has to be a greater reason why the final iteration ended up the way it did, because on fave value it makes ZERO sense. Maybe we're missing something.

He had ONE job....just do it.

• Like 4

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My crazy trade of the Day!

John Collins and Walker Kessler for Clint Capela and a 2nd and Zeller (separate trade for Zeller since he can't be combined)

Jazz dumps Collins for the price of Kessler.

Trade JC into the newly created DJ TPE. Capela goes into the new Jazz JC TPE.

Hawks get a new CC TPE.

Easy Peasy.

First question, does this put us in the tax?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They just hired a cap guru....where was he in all this. Why not throw in his two cents to NOP and say just roll the JV deal into this so no need to send us Zeller. Keep money under the tax and our roster spot.

There has to be a greater reason why the final iteration ended up the way it did, because on fave value it makes ZERO sense. Maybe we're missing something.

How the hail did Ressler agree to this lol. Most of our media is saying Zeller is a likely buyout/waive. 

So messy ressy is gonna write a check for millions when there was zero reason to do so? Just to "help" the Pels? 

Somebody's bout to get fired lol. 

ETA: or they're just gonna keep him.... Cause we aren't actually trying to win. 

Edited by Afro
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Speak on it! SMH. Blind can't see for narratives😂😂

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

First question, does this put us in the tax?

:laugh1:

I haven't done a full calculation but i think under or just a hair over. We are currently ~ $3.5 under. JC + WK is ~$29.....we are sending CC and CZ for about $26....so very close.

• Like 1

Back to this discussion of Capela for Vuc. Definitely not a good move on Hawks part due to extra year for Vuc and him not playing defense. He is a good rebounder and technically a stretch 5 though. 

if we could expand the deal a little to get Jevon Carter, we get a stretch big to backup OO as well as a defensive backup PG. I’d think OO and Vuc could even play simultaneously. Just a thought 🤷🏼

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My fear is either (a) he botched it and didn't realize the ramifications, even if they were exclusive to NOP's side of the deal or (b) he caught it and presented it as a chance for us to screw NOP but Laundry botched it from there.  

Not sure which is worse, but both are bad.

9 minutes ago, Afro said:

ETA: or they're just gonna keep him.... Cause we aren't actually trying to win. 

I fully expect them to try and convince us zeller is a useful player despite literal years of video evidence to the contrary.

But, if they do try and sell it as an acquisition, they're outing themselves as clowns.  So we'll see. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Back to this discussion of Capela for Vuc. Definitely not a good move on Hawks part due to extra year for Vuc and him not playing defense. He is a good rebounder and technically a stretch 5 though. 

if we could expand the deal a little to get Jevon Carter, we get a stretch big to backup OO as well as a defensive backup PG. I’d think OO and Vuc could even play simultaneously. Just a thought 🤷🏼

I've tried to sell Vuc as a Towns-lite upgrade as an offensive C.

But he's just bad overall now.  Hasn't ever really been a contributor to winning, so I can't ignore that. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

We have a full 15 man roster 

Vuc + Jevon is $26.5 mil.....CC is $22 mil. That would take us over the tax. Bulls would also need to take Zeller's +$3 mil for us to remain under the tax and clear a roster spot to take 2 players. I'd also like a couple on 2nds for adding to next seasons cap sheet.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I've tried to sell Vuc as a Towns-lite upgrade as an offensive C.

But he's just bad overall now.  Hasn't ever really been a contributor to winning, so I can't ignore that. 

You are forgetting- Trae can make any center look 'elite' 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Where is Carter supposed to get minutes? 

Trae, Bogi, DD, Bufkin, Carter, potentially Zacc playing the 2. That's 5 guys other than Carter that need pretty heavy minutes. 

I'm a big fan of Carter, but at this point kinda feels like he'd get minutes at the expense of the young guys. 

But on a bigger note, IF Bufkin doesn't get the backup PG minutes, is he destined for like 10 minutes per game this season...? 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You don’t see a problem with leaving money on the table?  That is the problem.  

The way this trade was finalized is beyond stupid:

(1) We didn’t need to take Zeller at all.  NO traded Big V for no salary.  Combine these deals and no need for the Hawks to take back garbage.  Our roster is worse for taking taking Mr. Glass.  There was no need for it but we are too dumb or too bad at negotiating to make it happen.

(2) Having agreed to take Zeller, we deserve to be paid for that.  He is a toxic contract.  We need useful players on the roster and very little money to make it happen. Bruno is better than Zeller (and certainly more available) and would be cheaper to give us more money for other players. 

So what did we get paid?  Nothing.  Apparently to you, making the deal worse for us for something that only benefits NO should not cost them anything.  This is weak.  You don’t do things for free in the NBA.

(3) Worse than doing something for free, we actually let them add more protections to an already heavily protected pick.  How weak a negotiator must you be to concede on this point?  The trade obviously makes NO much better next year and he is already posting online in Pelicans gear.  Their fan base is hyped - much more so than ours.  Do you really think NO walks away over that protection?  If not, then WTF would you concede on that point?  

In summary, in a situation where the Hawks should have gotten more value out of the deal they accepted a version of the deal that was worse in two ways. You can certainly claim this will end up being inconsequential.  We probably won’t know if the extra protection prevents us from making a deal or not so it will ultimately be speculation but what you can’t argue is that the deal is actually worse for us in a position where we had the leverage.

This is not that complicated to understand. Both teams were desperate to get the deal done, NO was not going into next season without an upgrade at PG, no PG on the market so Griffin is not vetoing any trade. They need to add salary that the Hawks don't need. The Hawks need the roster spot for Free agents. At least force NO to add an asset. Let it be a 2nd round pick or Cash or make the pick swap better. 

What are the hawks supposed to do now? Just eat the dead salary? Not be able to re-sign Vit? There are still some free agents that could help the team on the market for the minimum but now if the hawks want to sign someone they will have to dump Zeller and will most likely cost an asset to dump him. Now they might be stuck with fielding an almost useless player on the roster, akin to Matthews or Patty Mills last year.

Edited by ShayD
  • Like 4