• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have a full 15 man roster 

Vuc + Jevon is $26.5 mil.....CC is $22 mil. That would take us over the tax. Bulls would also need to take Zeller's +$3 mil for us to remain under the tax and clear a roster spot to take 2 players. I'd also like a couple on 2nds for adding to next seasons cap sheet.

I was thinking Bruno and Capela. Otherwise you have to wait 2 months to include zeller. We’d have more depth than last year and a second unit of some combo of Bogi, Hunter, Vuc, Carter, Nance, Bufkin, Vit, Matthews, Gueye is considerably better than what we had last year. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Afro said:

Where is Carter supposed to get minutes? 

Trae, Bogi, DD, Bufkin, Carter, potentially Zacc playing the 2. That's 5 guys other than Carter that need pretty heavy minutes. 

I'm a big fan of Carter, but at this point kinda feels like he'd get minutes at the expense of the young guys. 

But on a bigger note, IF Bufkin doesn't get the backup PG minutes, is he destined for like 10 minutes per game this season...? 

Carter is your emergency vet PG. He played 13 mpg last year.

I do wonder if Kobe is not best suited in a SG role instead of PG. I think he excels when he's aggressive looking for his shot then he can be a creator out of that. He's struggled running the team as a PG. I think DD has better PG skills so maybe the rolls should be reversed. My 2 cents.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

Where is Carter supposed to get minutes? 

Trae, Bogi, DD, Bufkin, Carter, potentially Zacc playing the 2. That's 5 guys other than Carter that need pretty heavy minutes. 

I'm a big fan of Carter, but at this point kinda feels like he'd get minutes at the expense of the young guys. 

But on a bigger note, IF Bufkin doesn't get the backup PG minutes, is he destined for like 10 minutes per game this season...? 

We’ve been complaining about lack of quality depth. Trade like this get you that. Bufkin and Carter can play beside or independent of Trae. Our biggest falloff has typically been when he’s off the floor. Give me depth at all guard and wing positions. Injuries and play quality will sort everything out. Carter and Bufkin are making reasonable money too so it’s not like we’re overpaying for a specific position of strength 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I was thinking Bruno and Capela. Otherwise you have to wait 2 months to include zeller. We’d have more depth than last year and a second unit of some combo of Bogi, Hunter, Vuc, Carter, Nance, Bufkin, Vit, Matthews, Gueye is considerably better than what we had last year. 

Zeller can go in a separate trade if traded by himself. Bulls send us a 2nd for him.

Then a follow-up trade of Vuc, Jevon, 2nd for CC.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with yall about Carter or his potential role. But I do disagree about trading Capelas expiring for an extra year of Vuc and the sweetener is a third PG. 

This again feels like a favor to the Bulls unless we get at least a 1st in addition. 

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Carter is your emergency vet PG. He played 13 mpg last year.

I do wonder if Kobe is not best suited in a SG role instead of PG. I think he excels when he's aggressive looking for his shot then he can be a creator out of that. He's struggled running the team as a PG. I think DD has better PG skills so maybe the rolls should be reversed. My 2 cents.

Yeah wherever he plays. 

I just don't want another one of our FRP getting buried. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No one's upset with you.

Uh huh ya but some are fed up with the backlash of it. Until it happens from now on I don’t care if the insiders outsiders side eyers or staff’s 🐕 gives us info.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You are forgetting- Trae can make any center look 'elite' 🤓

Mmhmm, because apparently some folks think it's more Trae's job to make the team better and not Laundry's. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangHolman said:

I don't think anyone is mad at the insiders for sharing what they hear.

lol .. wow.. where’s the Saff pity fund I’ll drop a nickel in.

57 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Me and @Spud2nique can be your crap-ologists. 

I just exhibited some work above 👆🏿 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Vuc ranked 567th in the league in ts%added last year.  That is an abomination for a big man whose primary skill is scoring.  Easy pass.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_adj_shooting.html

Ya please no Vuc. He’s gonna chuck from deep and he’s older so more so now than ever.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

You don’t see a problem with leaving money on the table?  That is the problem.  

The way this trade was finalized is beyond stupid:

(1) We didn’t need to take Zeller at all.  NO traded Big V for no salary.  Combine these deals and no need for the Hawks to take back garbage.  Our roster is worse for taking taking Mr. Glass.  There was no need for it but we are too dumb or too bad at negotiating to make it happen.

(2) Having agreed to take Zeller, we deserve to be paid for that.  He is a toxic contract.  We need useful players on the roster and very little money to make it happen. Bruno is better than Zeller (and certainly more available) and would be cheaper to give us more money for other players. 

So what did we get paid?  Nothing.  Apparently to you, making the deal worse for us for something that only benefits NO should not cost them anything.  This is weak.  You don’t do things for free in the NBA.

(3) Worse than doing something for free, we actually let them add more protections to an already heavily protected pick.  How weak a negotiator must you be to concede on this point?  The trade obviously makes NO much better next year and he is already posting online in Pelicans gear.  Their fan base is hyped - much more so than ours.  Do you really think NO walks away over that protection?  If not, then WTF would you concede on that point?  

In summary, in a situation where the Hawks should have gotten more value out of the deal they accepted a version of the deal that was worse in two ways. You can certainly claim this will end up being inconsequential.  We probably won’t know if the extra protection prevents us from making a deal or not so it will ultimately be speculation but what you can’t argue is that the deal is actually worse for us in a position where we had the leverage.

1. We needed to take Zeller to make salaries match, so I'm not sure where you're coming from when you say we didn't need to take Zeller at all.  DJs traded kicker forced this so no surprise on this one.  It was already reported there would be a player that needed to be added-- not sure why you're surprised and outraged by this?

2. We would have already agreed to take Zeller at the outset-- you're fabricating a scenario in your head on this one.  It's very common for deals to be reported initially and the finial details come out when they're official (like what the pick protections are or salary filler).

3. Again, you're fabricating this scenario.  It could be real but is more than likely not real.  Protections, particularly very inconsequential ones, are often only reported at the final deal.  But you're bad faith interpreting it as Landry got bait and switched at the last minute because of your negative bias.

So in summary, you're fabricating a scenario that likely did not happen, and then persecuting Landry for it.  It's not the first time either-- it's a favorite past time at this point.  The level of supposition being pawned off as truth warrants an epistemology lesson.  Just look at your posts and the heavy editorialization on items that are not even close to factual.  And I'm not advocating this deal was a home run by any means-- it was a pretty fair value deal for both teams.  We fixed issues in our fit and got a player with good upside.  I'm happy with it but I'm by no means "caping" for Landry with these posts.  The jury is still out on Landry as we haven't seen much, yet.  The only thing I'm "caping" for is sanity and rational arguments.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Vuc ranked 567th in the league in ts%added last year.  That is an abomination for a big man whose primary skill is scoring.  Easy pass.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2024_adj_shooting.html

Capela isn't ideal but he ain't this bad! What's with the get rid of Capela at all cost all of a sudden?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Who's said that? 

I've see a lot of one sided trades that appear to be salary dumps involving Capela. Vic is just one of them unless you think Vuc is better. Then never mind.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I've see a lot of one sided trades that appear to be salary dumps involving Capela. Vic is just one of them unless you think Vuc is better. Then never mind.

So then it's conformed that no one is saying get rid of Capela at all costs.  Folks are simply exploring center upgrades. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Capela isn't ideal but he ain't this bad! What's with the get rid of Capela at all cost all of a sudden?

Have you seen Trae and DJ's scoring percentages in the paint with Capela on the floor vs off the floor?  They both score at like 10% higher efficiency in the paint when he is on the bench.  Capela is clogging the lane and drastically hurting the teams offensive efficiency.  We need a floor spacer at the 5.  At LEAST someone who can hit a midrange J.

Capela is still solid on D so I will give him that but we have to get someone who can shoot at C.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

1. We needed to take Zeller to make salaries match, so I'm not sure where you're coming from when you say we didn't need to take Zeller at all.  DJs traded kicker forced this so no surprise on this one.  It was already reported there would be a player that needed to be added-- not sure why you're surprised and outraged by this?

2. We would have already agreed to take Zeller at the outset-- you're fabricating a scenario in your head on this one.  It's very common for deals to be reported initially and the finial details come out when they're official (like what the pick protections are or salary filler).

3. Again, you're fabricating this scenario.  It could be real but is more than likely not real.  Protections, particularly very inconsequential ones, are often only reported at the final deal.  But you're bad faith interpreting it as Landry got bait and switched at the last minute because of your negative bias.

So in summary, you're fabricating a scenario that likely did not happen, and then persecuting Landry for it.  It's not the first time either-- it's a favorite past time at this point.  The level of supposition being pawned off as truth warrants an epistemology lesson.  Just look at your posts and the heavy editorialization on items that are not even close to factual.  And I'm not advocating this deal was a home run by any means-- it was a pretty fair value deal for both teams.  We fixed issues in our fit and got a player with good upside.  I'm happy with it but I'm by no means "caping" for Landry with these posts.  The jury is still out on Landry as we haven't seen much, yet.  The only thing I'm "caping" for is sanity and rational arguments.

Fair enough, we don't know the exact and final specifics of the trade prior to today, but I will tell you this, the optics look really bad.

It looks as if NO made us take on an additional bad salary + added protection at the last minute, why the hell would we agree to that?