• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

For everyone saying we got worse, let me repost this and let it sting a while.  You can't get better on a top tier offense (what we were before Trae went down) without playing defense.

If the below doesn't piss you off and want to get bigger, longer. You don't know basketball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

1. We needed to take Zeller to make salaries match, so I'm not sure where you're coming from when you say we didn't need to take Zeller at all.  DJs traded kicker forced this so no surprise on this one.  It was already reported there would be a player that needed to be added-- not sure why you're surprised and outraged by this?

2. We would have already agreed to take Zeller at the outset-- you're fabricating a scenario in your head on this one.  It's very common for deals to be reported initially and the finial details come out when they're official (like what the pick protections are or salary filler).

3. Again, you're fabricating this scenario.  It could be real but is more than likely not real.  Protections, particularly very inconsequential ones, are often only reported at the final deal.  But you're bad faith interpreting it as Landry got bait and switched at the last minute because of your negative bias.

So in summary, you're fabricating a scenario that likely did not happen, and then persecuting Landry for it.  It's not the first time either-- it's a favorite past time at this point.  The level of supposition being pawned off as truth warrants an epistemology lesson.  Just look at your posts and the heavy editorialization on items that are not even close to factual.  And I'm not advocating this deal was a home run by any means-- it was a pretty fair value deal for both teams.  We fixed issues in our fit and got a player with good upside.  I'm happy with it but I'm by no means "caping" for Landry with these posts.  The jury is still out on Landry as we haven't seen much, yet.  The only thing I'm "caping" for is sanity and rational arguments.

If that is the original deal, it is suboptimal.  That doesn’t solve the underlying issue.

And on making salaries match you may not be aware but NO sent a center to Washington and got no salary back in return.  That could have been combined with our deal to avoid the need for Zeller at all at no cost to NO.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ShayD said:

I could almost guarantee that Zeller was not supposed to be in the deal initially. Everything went to shit when Murray did not waive his trade kicker. NO probably did not structure this deal with the extra 3mil on Murrays contract, I doubt that. They probably also wanted Hawks to take on Ingram, but when they showed no interest they had to scramble to get the deal done (Adding both Zeller and EJ Liddell). 

Now the hawks are the one stuck with the useless 3mil of dead salary and will also have to pay Murray extra 3mil/year for the trade kicker. Double whammy. Overall the FO are not good negotiators and it is known around the league, other GMs just know the Hawks FO will bend over to almost any deal.

TR just got his $11.9 mil payout from the tax paying teams, so he's got DJ's trade kicker covered. :stirthepot:

38 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So we are clear on this, the way this works is that the Hawks payout DJ the money from the trade kicker but the salary goes on the Pels cap sheet. It is not dead money for us. 100% of DJ’s salary is on their books, even if the extra cash comes from us. 

Correct.

48 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So we are clear on this, the way this works is that the Hawks payout DJ the money from the trade kicker but the salary goes on the Pels cap sheet. It is not dead money for us. 100% of DJ’s salary is on their books, even if the extra cash comes from us. 

I'm sure Ressler is happy paying DJ the extra money.

38 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Man yall killing it with the Hawks know best, clean cap shyt. When the FO shows they know how to use money wisely and stop bending at the will of other teams, Holla. UNTIL such time, this board and the fans can be negative all they want. Perhaps the Hawks can shut us all up and do something besides be mediocre. 

There is a reason why Supes said money is clean for the first time in ages.  They are setting things up to where they can do some of the moves you guys want to see.  That is one positive from going through this pain.  
Acquiring top talent when you have no draft picks, desirable players, or cap space is next to impossible.  I was told everyone understands this.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

For everyone saying we got worse,

I’m not.  I’m saying we left money on the table.  Just benching DJM and drafting Risacher makes us better.  That is a low bar.  Daniels is a very nice role player to add and has some upside.  He was also NO’s 4th string wing who was benched in the playoffs.  I’m excited to have him and think he can have more impact here but he doesn’t carry trade value across the league close to someone like DJM.  The picks are supposed to make up the difference but I think the double protection on the 2027 is unreasonable.

Nance and the rest are low priority filler from NO’s perspective.  Nance has one year bench value for one season.  The others effectively have no value or negative value.

Im 100x happier about this trade being well balanced and negotiated if we just got either the 2027 Mil or NO pick instead of the worse one plus pick protection on top.  When you let the other team get away this cheap it doesn’t make the trade bad as much as clearly suboptimal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

There is a reason why Supes said money is clean for the first time in ages.  They are setting things up to where they can do some of the moves you guys want to see.  That is one positive from going through this pain.  
Acquiring top talent when you have no draft picks, desirable players, or cap space is next to impossible.  I was told everyone understands this.  

Lmao. I was told the hawks were going to be huge aggressors too. Can't get em all right I guess. 

38 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Man yall killing it with the Hawks know best, clean cap shyt. When the FO shows they know how to use money wisely and stop bending at the will of other teams, Holla. UNTIL such time, this board and the fans can be negative all they want. Perhaps the Hawks can shut us all up and do something besides be mediocre. 

25 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Thats what got Murray moved. Instead of making the coach fit the good players, the Hawks are doing the opposite.  The Hawks are gonna be left with Trae Young,  their version of Ronald Acuna Jr. with a consistently hurt Johnson (which nobody talks about), a maybe in Risacher, and some "guys" with the rest of them.   As much as I despise Trae Young, he is a sympton of the problem, not the problem itself.  The Hawks ain't trying to win.  If they can luck into something with minimum payroll and just throwing guys around Trae, they are happy.

Hunter is not a player you build your franchise around.  Every team in the league has an opportunity to trade for him.  If he’s so valuable, where are the offers?

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

TR just got his $11.9 mil payout from the tax paying teams, so he's got DJ's trade kicker covered. :stirthepot:

Correct.

Zeller is the dead money we get from this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:Hunter is not a player you build your franchise around.  Every team in the league has an opportunity to trade for him.  If he’s so valuable, where are the offers?

Of this..I agree.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

There is a problem with all this, they don't have much time to get better and don't have the draft picks to be a bad team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hunter is not a player you build your franchise around.  Every team in the league has an opportunity to trade for him.  If he’s so valuable, where are the offers?

Of this I agree 

• Sad 1

So ran some comparisons

Roster   2023-24     2024-2025

Height  6'6.26"       6'7.4"

Weight 210.6 lbs    218.9 lbs

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’m not.  I’m saying we left money on the table.  Just benching DJM and drafting Risacher makes us better.  That is a low bar.  Daniels is a very nice role player to add and has some upside.  He was also NO’s 4th string wing who was benched in the playoffs.  I’m excited to have him and think he can have more impact here but he doesn’t carry trade value across the league close to someone like DJM.  The picks are supposed to make up the difference but I think the double protection on the 2027 is unreasonable.

Nance and the rest are low priority filler from NO’s perspective.  Nance has one year bench value for one season.  The others effectively have no value or negative value.

Im 100x happier about this trade being well balanced and negotiated if we just got either the 2027 Mil or NO pick instead of the worse one plus pick protection on top.  When you let the other team get away this cheap it doesn’t make the trade bad as much as clearly suboptimal.

Like you and I talked about offline, the Zeller money being dead vs rerouted does make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

So ran some comparisons

Like you and I talked about offline, the Zeller money being dead vs rerouted does make a difference.

If we reroute Zeller that removes one wart but the bigger issue is not enough value coming back.  This was our big chip to cash in.  We left money on the table.  

Just now, thecampster said:

So ran some comparisons

Wingspans are impressive too. Not at my computer now, but I think it's something like 8 of top 10 players have a 6'10" Wingspan or bigger. Something like that. 

Bottom line, we got longer and bigger this offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hunter is a piece.  You rather build around Dyson, Nance Jr.?  I did a mock months ago where I wanted Dyson.  But not as the centerpiece.  I had him coming to the Hawks with Herb Jones for either Murray or Young.  Dyson and Nance Jr.?  Nah.  I'll keep Hunter and...  why I'm I even doing this?  Sarr was right there, lmao

Edited by Hawkmoor