• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

17 hours ago, AHF said:

Ressler’s biggest sins are interfering with his GM.  He reportedly stopped us from dealing Millsap and Horford for value before they walked for nothing.  He reportedly stepped into the Trae / Luka trade and agreed on something his GM wouldn’t.  He reportedly blocked the trade of JC when he still had value.  He forced TS to trade for DJM over his objection that we were overpaying.  Etc. etc.  

Why would any fan think an owner not letting the GM do their job and pretending like his opinion as someone with no basketball expertise is more valuable than his hand picked basketball team building expert is a good thing?

I hate it when owners decide to play as General Managers.  It rarely works out well.  Hire someone for the job and let them do their job.  Fire them if you don’t trust their judgment and hire a new GM whose judgment you will trust.

SMASHING the like button on this. 

Landry appears to be overmatched and in over his head...but it seems increasingly clear that as long as Ressler is here, he will wield GM duties unofficially (or at the very least have an outsized-and-inappropriate-via-meddling influence on whichever puppet he installs with the title of GM.

What a shame...

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We did it to complete the deal.

I really thought it did work but oh well.  Not sure why we didn't  do a sign and trade  of Alvarado

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why did we do this?  I know it's not much but he doesn't bring much if anything at all.  

I'm just loving macd's late outrage here.  It's like we all time traveled forward 3 days and left macd in last Friday.

🤣 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I really thought it did work but oh well.  Not sure why we didn't  do a sign and trade  of Alvarado

We all know we love Baller-ado, but a large part of why he works in NO is due to the roster makeup there.  He wouldn't be able to thrive here, sadly, imho. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why did we do this?  I know it's not much but he doesn't bring much if anything at all.  

Very good question.

32 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We did it to complete the deal.

We know that by combining the Washington deal with this that there was no need for Zeller.  Has anyone nailed down any reason that these deals couldn't have been combined?   NO sent out roughly $10M and took back nothing in that deal so by combining the deals that would avoid the issue of them needing to send out more salary.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Landry is not in over his head at all.  The Hawks have had a very good off season to this point.  They have improved the team.  How much remains to be seen, but getting rid of DJM is addition by subtraction because it was just not going to work.  Adding Daniels as a POA defender is a big time move for this team, because that's what we have needed.  We also did not lose the long view by adding the picks, which that Lakers' pick is going to be a lottery pick and there's a chance that 2027 pick is going to be a lottery pick as well.  I don't see New Orleans getting much better with their mix of players, and Milwaukee will soon feel the Doc Rivers effect.  

Daniel's POA defense and connectivity passing on offense will provide a lot more value for the Hawks than DJM's mid-range shooting.  It's not hard to see the vision.  Landry has now surrounded Trae with versatile 6'8" plus wings who are two-way players.  

Everyone just wants Capela moved for an upgrade too. We're depending a lot on internal development and guys like Jalen taking an All-Star level step this season.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Everyone just wants Capela moved for an upgrade too. We're depending a lot on internal development and guys like Jalen taking an All-Star level step this season.

Should probably start tapering your expectations because Capela is making $22.2M this next year.  That's a hefty bag for a guy that cannot shoot outside of dunks, cannot switch on defense, has butter finger hands, and relies on Trae for 100% of his offense.  Still a good paint protector but probably suited to be a backup big at this point in his career.  Backup big making $22M 😬

I suspect we will move into the season with him on the roster because his market is likely very dry

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Should probably start tapering your expectations because Capela is making $22.2M this next year.  That's a hefty bag for a guy that cannot shoot outside of dunks, cannot switch on defense, has butter finger hands, and relies on Trae for 100% of his offense.  Still a good paint protector but probably suited to be a backup big at this point in his career.  Backup big making $22M 😬

I suspect we will move into the season with him on the roster because his market is likely very dry

Which is why people are unhappy with the off-season. Improved our wings, but have nothing but b/u Centers on the roster.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Which is why people are unhappy with the off-season. Improved our wings, but have nothing but b/u Centers on the roster.

Would have been nice to transform our playoff-missing roster into a championship team overnight, but I think the unhappy people had unrealistic expectations.  We've done well and improved the team.  I anticipate a better year next year and no real regression concerns with the year after that.  We're well positioned!!

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Backup big making $22M 😬

Still confused by Schlenk extended him instead of just letting the last deal play out and then choosing whether to resign him or not.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Still confused by Schlenk extended him instead of just letting the last deal play out and then choosing whether to resign him or not.

Huge head-scratcher.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah, same with Hunter, really.  Also extended JC without him having other offers to match.  All around confusing and damaging protocol Schlenk was running when it came to extensions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, same with Hunter, really.  Also extended JC without him having other offers to match.  All around confusing and damaging protocol Schlenk was running when it came to extensions.

Yep.  RFA is one of the strongest tools you have as a GM to help the team.  Not using it is crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangHolman said:

Why not?  Depending upon Jalen to make an All-Star level jump is a lot better than this foolish belief that Brandon Ingram is just a point guard away from being an All-Star player.  

• Like 1

Some are really underestimating the impact that a guy like Dyson Daniels is going to have on Onyeka Okongwu, both offensively and defensively.  I am still seeing this idea that Okongwu is a backup just because he's 6'9".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some are really underestimating the impact that a guy like Dyson Daniels is going to have on Onyeka Okongwu, both offensively and defensively.  I am still seeing this idea that Okongwu is a backup just because he's 6'9".  

This qualifier makes your comment inapplicable to 90% of the people who express skepticism whether OO should start for us.  Only a few people make the case that they would happily start him except for the fact that he is too small (i.e., just because he's 6'9'').  

I'm skeptical of him but it isn't because of size.  It is health and production in the past.  I do want to see him given the starting role and let him run with it, though.  I don't think we can truly know how he will do without an extended period in that role.  For what I think Quin wants to do, I think OO is a much more natural fit than CC but Snyder keeps starting CC over OO.

• Like 2