• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some are really underestimating the impact that a guy like Dyson Daniels is going to have on Onyeka Okongwu, both offensively and defensively.  I am still seeing this idea that Okongwu is a backup just because he's 6'9".  

That's just not it.

For the better part of the last 2 years, most here have advocated for him taking the Bunny Man's spot. He has not been able to do so. Not only has he been unable to supplant him in the starting lineup, he's still has been unable to play more minutes than him and unable to force his way into the lineups to finish games.

Both under Nate and now Quin.

Why do you think that is.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, ShayD said:

:blanky:

It is amazing that the contract we are giving Zeller is bigger than any other FA contract we've signed since August 2021.  Wow.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 7

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's just not it.

For the better part of the last 2 years, most here have advocated for him taking the Bunny Man's spot. He has not been able to do so. Not only has he been unable to supplant him in the starting lineup, he's still has been unable to play more minutes than him and unable to force his way into the lineups to finish games.

It has more to do with the structure that was in place around him.  Clint was a better fit down low with poor perimeter defenders on the court.  Now that they have better perimeter defenders, Okongwu's versatility on defense can pop.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is amazing that the contract we are giving Zeller is bigger than any other FA contract we've signed since August 2021.  Wow.

shake-head-smh-disappointed-im-out-i-can

....but we should be ok with this! And we might have to pay him to go away to clear a roster spot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

52 minutes ago, AHF said:

This qualifier makes your comment inapplicable to 90% of the people who express skepticism whether OO should start for us.  Only a few people make the case that they would happily start him except for the fact that he is too small (i.e., just because he's 6'9'').  

I'm skeptical of him but it isn't because of size.  It is health and production in the past.  I do want to see him given the starting role and let him run with it, though.  I don't think we can truly know how he will do without an extended period in that role.  For what I think Quin wants to do, I think OO is a much more natural fit than CC but Snyder keeps starting CC over OO.

It is a fact that a faction of this fanbase will never accept him as a starting center because he's not a 7-footer.  That is a 100% fact, just like when the same fans constantly said Al Horford wasn't a real center.  

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

That’s almost unreal, like it can’t be true. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It is a fact that a faction of this fanbase will never accept him as a starting center because he's not a 7-footer.  That is a 100% fact, just like when the same fans constantly said Al Horford wasn't a real center.  

You overstate the size of that faction of the fanbase.  It is a small minority of the fanbase who won't accept any center that isn't 7 feet tall.  Like  how many fans would be upset if we traded Capela for Nikola Jokic because took at sub-7 footer in Jokic instead of trading for a 7 footer?  How many would be pissed if we traded for 6'10'' Sabonis?  How many would be upset if we acquired 6'9'' Adebayo?  

Only a small few.  Most are perfectly fine with a center who isn't 7 feet tall but it comes down to the specific skills and production of the player at issue whether they are happy or upset based on that player being slotted in as our starting center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

shake-head-smh-disappointed-im-out-i-can

....but we should be ok with this! And we might have to pay him to go away to clear a roster spot.

Or just not bring back Bruno… either way we’re leaving money/talent on the table.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's just not it.

I have a theory....

I think Clint's predominant value to the Hawks is defense.  I think he gets in the way on offense, but he actually holds the team together defensively.  I think because the defense outside of Clint has been SOO BAD the last few years, there was no way Quin could play Clint less because the defense would never get a stop.  

I actually think addressing the POA and Wing defense with DD and Risacher will allow Quin to play the guy with the offensive game to fit the rest of the team and not have to worry about the defense.  I think OO starts this year precisely because the rest of the team's defense has now gotten better.  I don't think the team NEEDS Clint's defense as much as it has the last 2 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

It has more to do with the structure that was in place around him.  Clint was a better fit down low with poor perimeter defenders on the court.  Now that they have better perimeter defenders, Okongwu's versatility on defense can pop.  

I really hope you're right because OO had an opportunity last year to seize that starting job and couldn't do it either because of performance or health.  He really has all the tools and is considerably better offensively.  I really hope they can get something of value to move Clint to take the training wheels completely off for OO.  With the extension signed, even if it's a great value contract, we need to know if he's our starting center or not going forward.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Some are really underestimating the impact that a guy like Dyson Daniels is going to have on Onyeka Okongwu, both offensively and defensively.  I am still seeing this idea that Okongwu is a backup just because he's 6'9".  

Is he a legitimate 6-9?   

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

But folks wanna tell us the problem is the one all-NBA level guy on the team.

Make it make sense...

Looking at you management and ownership.   

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I really hope you're right because OO had an opportunity last year to seize that starting job and couldn't do it either because of performance or health.  He really has all the tools and is considerably better offensively.  I really hope they can get something of value to move Clint to take the training wheels completely off for OO.  With the extension signed, even if it's a great value contract, we need to know if he's our starting center or not going forward.

It was more health than performance, but when you have such a weakness of perimeter defense as Atlanta had, you just feel more comfortable with the established guy on defense than with the young guy who has more defensive versatility.  OO averaged 16.1 PPG, 8.5 RPG, and 1.1 APG with a .723 TS% as a starter.  Production wasn't the issue.  The issue is that he got hurt, but also that he couldn't cover for the mistakes the perimeter defenders made as well as Clint could.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Looking at you management and ownership.   

They're well aware that, if it doesn't work out, the eggsperts are poised to lay it all at the feet of Trae.  He's their buffer and fans and media alike are blind to their ineptitude.  I don't know if it's brilliant or diabolical.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nothing we didn't already know:

As it turned out, Atlanta didn’t have much interest in giving Ingram his next contract or moving either of its top two centers (Clint Capela and Onyeka Okongwu), according to league sources.

So the Pelicans nabbed a new starting point guard — a priority going into the offseason — without giving up any substantial present talent in return. But including Larry Nance Jr. and Cody Zeller in that deal made the need for a center (or two) to complement Zion Williamson even more prominent and the questions about Ingram’s future even tougher to answer.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5623237/2024/07/08/brandon-ingram-trade-options-pelicans/?source=user_shared_article&utm_content=buffer6a3be&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Pels are talking Ingram for Allen swap with Cleveland but Atkinson wants to keep them from trading. 

Yeah.  I can’t see Kenny being on board with trading for Ingram.  

• Like 2