• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, for sure.  I think you can tell who the greats are by how their teammates do before and after playing with them.  Guys like JR Smith looked like near all-star talent playing with Lebron.  Steph made Juan Toscano-Anderson look like a valuable asset.  Capela been carried by Harden and Trae, two of the best PnR guards in the past 20 years, made him look like a top tier center.  No one does it by themselves but there are definitely players that elevate their teammates significantly.  Lebron and the bums from the first Cavs stint are just the most egregious example but there are tons more.

This is a massive stretch for Luka by the way, but I don't care enough to debate it.  I care just enough to make that dissenting comment.  Maybe that is enough?  I don't know, slow work week.

Even IF you want to say that about Luka, which I disagree...., he had the exact same playoff success as the dude you say has a low floor. Until his GM actually built a functioning team this year. 

Luka JUST missed the playoffs. Literally a year ago. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Afro said:

Even IF you want to say that about Luka, which I disagree...., he had the exact same playoff success as the dude you say has a low floor. Until his GM actually built a functioning team this year. 

Something we still have yet to do for Trae. 

I'm not really talking about their playoff success, you brought that up.  I'm talking about players that have high floors and high ceilings versus low floor, high ceiling.  All the comments about building the perfect team around Trae actually just support what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Afro said:

Luka JUST missed the playoffs. Literally a year ago. 

I agree with you.  And the comment about Trae never playing with an all star is mind boggling.  Such a great point.  It makes me wonder, has any other star player been as successful as Trae without the benefit of another all star player?  I would guess not, but haven't done the research yet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I'm not really talking about their playoff success, you brought that up.  I'm talking about players that have high floors and high ceilings versus low floor, high ceiling.  All the comments about building the perfect team around Trae actually just support what I'm saying.

"Trae is a low floor, high ceiling, player, which in my opinion, is why he is so polarizing to so many people.  Unlike guys like Lebron, Luka, Embiid, and other tier 1A players, Trae cannot carry a team of bums to the playoffs." 

This is literally copy and pasted from your original post. There is zero that supports this. Idk why you keep saying these outlandish, hyperbolic, exaggerated things all the time. Garrison Matthews had Kevin Huerter impact. DJM is average. Trae Young is low floor. 

If ANY of those player you mentioned have carried "bums" to the playoffs, Trae most certainly has.

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think the issue is (if I'm not mistaken) you lumped Luka in with other high floor high ceiling players in your original post and that's just not true.  Luka and Trae are different players in a lot of ways but also in many ways, they are exactly the same.  Luka needed them to tank last year at the end of the year to get Lively and then needed them to trade for Kyrie (a HOFer) and make trades for complimentary players (Gafford / Washington) in order for that team to get to the finals.  

The point is Luka wasn't taking a team full of scrubs to the NBA finals.  And neither is Trae.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree with you.  And the comment about Trae never playing with an all star is mind boggling.  Such a great point.  It makes me wonder, has any other star player been as successful as Trae without the benefit of another all star player?  I would guess not, but haven't done the research yet.  

Nobody comes to my mind. 

Just for clarity sake, I don't think DJM counts as an Allstar at all, but I've had this conversation with others who were adamant he counted. 

DJM was an injury replacement for his one Allstar appearance and has never been anywhere close to Allstar level with the Hawks. So to me, he doesn't count lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Afro said:

Nobody comes to my mind. 

Just for clarity sake, I don't think DJM counts as an Allstar at all, but I've had this conversation with others who were adamant he counted. 

DJM was an injury replacement for his one Allstar appearance and has never been anywhere close to Allstar level with the Hawks. So to me, he doesn't count lol. 

I tend to agree on DJM. 

I apologize to everyone for the constant posts but this is easily my number one trigger about the hawks lol.

It's not rooted in any form of reality and is just full of bullshit NBA narratives meant to tear Trae down and take blame away from the actual people that deserve it, while propping up the "chosen children" from the rest of the NBA. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We got any new info?  We can't be done right (i can't believe i'm saying it.  of course we are)?

Don't we have too many players?

Yes we are currently at 15 players after the NOP deal with Zeller inclusion. 

Which.....if this is it. Holy shit lol. Which is why I agree with you that we cant possibly be done. 

All the other NOP trade stuff aside....if adding the ghosts of Liddell and Zeller mean we don't retain 2 very useful players in Bey and Vit......How does one defend that move? 

ETA: Bruno is one of those 15, so I guess they can let him walk for Vit. Which is still.....not good. 

Edited by Afro
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We got any new info?  We can't be done right (i can't believe i'm saying it.  of course we are)?

We're done. Roster is complete.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Afro said:

Yes we are currently at 15 players after the NOP deal with Zeller inclusion. 

Which.....if this is it. Holy shit lol. Which is why I agree with you that we cant possibly be done. 

All the other NOP trade stuff aside....if adding the ghosts of Liddell and Zeller mean we don't retain 2 very useful players in Bey and Vit......How does one defend that move? 

ETA: Bruno is one of those 15, so I guess they can let him walk for Vit. Which is still.....not good. 

And cutting Zeller and/or Liddell counts against the Cap regardless, so it's likely Bruno is the odd man out. 

I would re-sign Vit over Bey given the injury and assumed cost. It's hard to see Tony paying to cut one of the other guys, probably Liddell, to sign Bey to a bigger deal with the injury, given we're a likely play-in team.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I can't see how we are with this unbalanced roster.

Need are 3rd PG, thin at SF, too many Centers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2