2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

Just now, JTB said:

Yup. People never change.

can I ask you a question?

please watch below video at the 2 minute mark and let me know when the last time you saw one of our centers (Capela, OO, Bruno) do this to player of Jokic caliber ?

This is bizarre.  He's always had great performances, so I don't need to see highlights.  What youll also find is him disappearing for long stretches.  There's a reason two organizations, desperate for him to be a presence, have given up on him.  You're not seeing anything they don't already know. And, get this, their jobs depend on it. 

People change but when people show you what they are, it's up to you to believe them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I’m sure you have nothing to worry about. We are likely done making any significant moves.

this is just conversation. Not to worry… we aren’t getting Ingram or Ayton or anyone else of significance for that matter.

Wow, the offseason free agency hasn't even begun, and you're already throwing in the towel? We don't know what moves they'll make, so let's hold off on criticizing the front office until then.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Wow, the offseason free agency hasn't even begun, and you're already throwing in the towel? We don't know what moves they'll make, so let's hold off on criticizing the front office until then.

I understand this, but this is also the most important off-season in franchise history. People are going to be antsy. I feel like we're just slowly watching the story unfold of Trae demanding a trade.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is bizarre.  He's always had great performances, so I don't need to see highlights.  What youll also find is him disappearing for long stretches.  There's a reason two organizations, desperate for him to be a presence, have given up on him.  You're not seeing anything they don't already know. And, get this, their jobs depend on it. 

People change but when people show you what they are, it's up to you to believe them.

These things happen in the regular season

57 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

We were never waiting for free agency for things.to happen, trades have been happening, free agency has nothing to do with it, we aren't going to be player there unless we offload major salary 

30 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

We were never waiting for free agency for things.to happen, trades have been happening, free agency has nothing to do with it, we aren't going to be player there unless we offload major salary 

We could be a player there because teams being willing to trade with us based on our demands may be dependent on them striking out in free agency.  We become the only available Uber downtown at 2 a.m.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I do agree and it’s up to the Hawks FO to determine whether or not Ayton will fit Hawks culture (Sarr already failed that test). As a sidebar, I think Ayton’s motor questions were more related to his environment/motivation issues he had with the Suns for 5 years (Monty like LP with Trae really sucked for him). Previous posts below…

13 hours ago, djjob23 said:

…Side note… a player’s motor can sometimes be a reflection of his environment (teammates, coach, contract, support, winning, etc.) and not always related to a player’s skill (skill being more BBIQ related). Motor to me is more a personal trait that can potentially be improved if a player fits the environment and has the right motivation. Sarr was on an underperforming win-now team last year and came off the bench, which likely didn’t help his motor. It’s fine if ATL FO saw his personality as a culture fit issue, but you can’t always gauge a player’s motor without understanding a player’s environment / motivation.

As for the Ayton convo… having said this about motor… Ayton wasn’t a good fit in PHX (Monty Williams sucked for him), but after getting a fresh start in POR (after a few injuries), he had a great end to the season averaging 23.2p / 12.4r in the last 15 games and was even a positive leader in the locker room. His role in ATL would likely be more defined than it was in POR, but hopefully his role will allow him to focus on being more efficient/productive with his time on the court. If the value is low and they do their homework on his motor and determine it won’t be an issue in ATL, then I say go for it!

13 hours ago, djjob23 said:

I chalk up Ayton’s first half with POR as him getting over the trauma with the Suns and as someone learning to trust coaches, the organization, and teammates (which he said he was able to do with POR later in the season). Unfortunately, the media and fans are quick to judge (which we know far too well in ATL) and claimed he wasn’t the future in POR early on even though the team had a green coach (Billups), team injuries, and a questionable roster build. During the draft, POR likely saw an opportunity to draft a quality/coveted/more defensive oriented big in Clingan. POR likely sees Clingan as a 2-fold win-win: (1) Ayton’s backup replacing Robert Williams III who has health issues; (2) cheaper big who can become the starting C should they move on from Ayton. I wouldn’t say POR wants to get rid of Ayton. I’d say the POR FO is like a squirrel that needs to pick a direction.

I think it’s also important to note that Ayton started to play so well once Scoot slowed the game down and they were able to create chemistry. Ayton likely needs a pass-first playmaking PG to play at his best and I can’t think of a better PG that gets the most out of Centers than Trae. If the Hawks FO deem the team’s environment / coaches motivation for Ayton as a match, then he may be the perfect buy-low / high-risk / high-reward big center this team needs. 

Edited by djjob23
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BangHolman said:

I understand this, but this is also the most important off-season in franchise history. People are going to be antsy. I feel like we're just slowly watching the story unfold of Trae demanding a trade.

Sounds more like wish casting to me and media narratives and crap

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’ve seen a couple of comments to the effect that we are watching Trae’s exit in slow motion premised around that this outcome will happen if the FO doesn’t make us a contender but I don’t think that is the measuring stick.  I think if the FO turns us into a legit playoff team (not play-in) odds are good he will resign.  So a 5th seed team to me will show enough promise for him to want to be here if we want to keep him and pay him.  I think he legit wants to win in Atlanta.

it is if we give away talent and make obviously bad choices (deciding to stay with Trae and DJM as our backcourt for example) that I think would put us on that path.  IMO, we control our destiny in terms of whether Trae will want to stay.

I agree with just having to be a play-off team. It's not logical to expect us to become a title contender in a single off-season. But, as currently constructed, we aren't even that. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

I agree with just having to be a play-off team. It's not logical to expect us to become a title contender in a single off-season. But, as currently constructed, we aren't even that. 

Work still to be done for sure and DJM trade is the big domino that needs to fall in a good direction.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I've always liked the fit of Ayton with Trae. He's always been an excellent PnR finisher and screener, can space the floor, he communicated well during the Finals run with the Suns. 

That said, i was never a fan of his up and down motivation. Capela in always motivated even if he's physically struggling. Ayton is one of those guys, things around him have to be right and he must feel good personally. That said, Atlanta with Trae and Quin could be a hit. Ayton did finally adjust in the 2nd half of last year and really looked good. A Capela centric for Ayton deal works. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_6-28-2024_6-44-38AM.png

Taking the lack of motor out of this … he is a terrible defender … if we don’t address our defense needs the team will get worse.  Adding a terrible defensive center to a bad defensive team and it’s a recipe for disaster… center was one of the few positions that tried on d.  Acquiring him will be a huge mistake.  Portland can’t get rid of him fast enough… he wore out his welcome there quick.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Taking the lack of motor out of this … he is a terrible defender … if we don’t address our defense needs the team will get worse.  Adding a terrible defensive center to a bad defensive team and it’s a recipe for disaster… center was one of the few positions that tried on d.  Acquiring him will be a huge mistake.  Portland can’t get rid of him fast enough… he wore out his welcome there quick.

He's not a terrible defender tho

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023/1/12/23546264/phoenix-suns-where-does-deandre-ayton-really-stand-among-nba-bigs

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

My biggest worry is how fast Portland was ready to be done with him.  There were other good options on the board for them when they picked.  They had every reason to make it a success.  Now they are cutting ties this early and are desperate to dump his salary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

Does he hustle?  Does he block shots?  Does he challenge and make it difficult?  No

He wore out his welcome in PHX and Portland for his lack of effort and last of d.  

He is bad … Ayton is not the answer for this team because he can score.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1