• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JTB said:

I am starting to wonder if the approach is to stay semi competitive well enough to make the playoffs this season (so the spurs don’t fully benefit from us sucking ass) but have loads of cap space to use on next seasons free agency when Trae can opt out or opt in.

if you trade Hunter for an expiring contract and you keep Capela this season and just left him walk next off season that’s about 43 mil in cap space. Add Nance expiring contract and that’s another 11 mil.

so next season, we could potentially have 54 million in cap space IF we can find an 1 year expiring  contract (who’s at least a rotation wing player).

maybe that’s the new plan to retain Trae long term and truly be competitive. There are some good players in next years free agency if they do not get an extension…Ayton, Allen, Butler, Gobert, Porzingis, Randle, JJJ, Aaron Gordon…just to provide some familiar names.

That is definitely one of the avenues the team is considering. You also forgot to mention we could trade Hunter into someone's cap space or take back a little salary on an expiring to move Hunter. If we did that and let that player go, Capela go and Nance go that's some cap space the team could use to go after someone.

I keep reminding people: this team isn't tanking, sly tanking or whatever else with the word "tanking" comes to mind. Unless they managed to trade back our picks from SAS we can NOT tank for at least three straight seasons starting this upcoming season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

That is definitely one of the avenues the team is considering. You also forgot to mention we could trade Hunter into someone's cap space or take back a little salary on an expiring to move Hunter. If we did that and let that player go, Capela go and Nance go that's some cap space the team could use to go after someone.

I keep reminding people: this team isn't tanking, sly tanking or whatever else with the word "tanking" comes to mind. Unless they managed to trade back our picks from SAS we can NOT tank for at least three straight seasons starting this upcoming season.

Was just thinking moving Hunter for a lower salary and a pick could be part of a Lauri push.  Or a combo of Kessler and Clarkson or Sexton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only players I can think of are Levert, Okoro, Struss, PJ Tucker, DFS, Duncan Robinson?

I don't know about any of these guys. Let me remind you that this team is not better than the top 7 teams ahead of them last year(Knicks, Boston, Pacers, Philly, Bucks, Cavs, Magic) and some underrated teams could challenge the hawks if they win enough games(Detroit, Heat, Raptors, Bulls, Hornets)

This team is a playin team. Trading Hunter for no upgrade will make this team worse. None of those names move the needle of the goal is to make the playoffs and keep the pick. The FO has to be very careful if the goal is to not become a feeder to Spurs. None of this talk about salary dumping right now. The only interesting names are DFS or Okoro.

And unless the pick has very little protections and will almost always convey then it's not good enough.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

Maybe Caleb Martin from Philly and a first.

assuming Philly still has enough cap space to absorb the difference on Hunters contract.

3 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I would add two names, Kelly Oubre and Caris Levert?

Guys who signed new offseason contracts aren't trade eligible for 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ShayD said:

The only players I can think of are Levert, Okoro, Struss, PJ Tucker, DFS, Duncan Robinson?

I don't know about any of these guys. Let me remind you that this team is not better than the top 7 teams ahead of them last year(Knicks, Boston, Pacers, Philly, Bucks, Cavs, Magic) and some underrated teams could challenge the hawks if they win enough games(Detroit, Heat, Raptors, Bulls, Hornets)

This team is a playin team. Trading Hunter for no upgrade will make this team worse. None of those names move the needle of the goal is to make the playoffs and keep the pick. The FO has to be very careful if the goal is to not become a feeder to Spurs. None of this talk about salary dumping right now. The only interesting names are DFS or Okoro.

And unless the pick has very little protections and will almost always convey then it's not good enough.

So much to unpack here.

I disagree completely that the Hawks are clearly worse than the top 7 teams. The idea that the Hawks haven't gotten better is utterly ridiculous. The Hawk are better fit wise. They are better defensively. They have better depth. 

This can easily be a 45-47 win team.  The Hawks won 36 games last year but were decimated by injuries and lack of depth. They aren't likely to be hit as hard with injuries this year but would be better suited to withstand them if so.

And it's also not obvious that all of the above teams are better either. 

Finally, do you even know what you are talking about with the Spurs? You say, "None of those names move the needle of the goal is to make the playoffs and keep the pick. The FO has to be very careful if the goal is to not become a feeder to Spurs."  Exactly what pick area keeping by making the playoffs?? 

Edited by REHawksFan

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I’ve already been told by @JayBirdHawk and @REHawksFan that we are 28 mil over the cap so the idea of allowing Capela and nance walk at the end of the season and also trading Hunter for an expiring contract doesn’t give us the massive cap space flexibility for next offseason I thought it would.

since we are over the cap by 28 mil, we are talking approximately only 15 mil in cap space next season allowing these actions to happen and maybe less then that if they plan on extending Jalen early.

That's almost not worth even tapping into free agency if all you have is around 15 million or less in cap space. Surely this FO doesn’t believe we’d be able to attract top talent with that little amount of money!

Unless there are plans to find a way to not be over the cap but such plans would look like a tank because you’d have to consider trading Bogi for an expiring contract. Also looks like Bey has a cap hold, I wonder how we get that off the books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

The Braves are one of the few MLB teams that do have viewership and attendance.  MLB as a whole lags behind the NFL and NBA.  If the Falcons had tried to leave Fulton County, there would have been more pushback for that reason, but not much.  Blank had to ask the NFL to help finance the Benz.  The Braves definitely weren't getting any tax dollars.  The Days of pro franchises telling local cities that they are gonna leave if they don't get what they want are over.  The local folks were like "bye" to the Braves.

The Atlanta Braves are one of the best baseball teams in America, and I wish them well. We have been working very hard with the Braves for a long time, and at the end of the day, there was simply no way the team was going to stay in downtown Atlanta without city taxpayers spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make that happen."

"Given the needs facing our city and the impact of Turner Field stadium on surrounding neighborhoods, that was something I, and many others were unwilling to do."

https://siteselection.com/onlineInsider/braves.cfm

“The Days of pro franchises telling local cities that they are gonna leave if they don't get what they want are over.”

Unfortunately this is not true yet.  Just look at the jaguars, Panthers, and even the Marlins as recent examples.  I wish taxpayer funding was not a thing.

To your quotes about the Braves from the city, they never built up the area while the Braves were there.  Also, they spent hundreds of millions for the Hawks and Falcons downtown.  So it’s not like they didn’t give LOADS of money, they just picked different teams to give it to.  

But again, it worked out for the area around Turner field as it is thankfully thriving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I’ve already been told by @JayBirdHawk and @REHawksFan that we are 28 mil over the cap so the idea of allowing Capela and nance walk at the end of the season and also trading Hunter for an expiring contract doesn’t give us the massive cap space flexibility for next offseason I thought it would.

since we are over the cap by 28 mil, we are talking approximately only 15 mil in cap space next season allowing these actions to happen and maybe less then that if they plan on extending Jalen early.

That's almost not worth even tapping into free agency if all you have is around 15 million or less in cap space. Surely this FO doesn’t believe we’d be able to attract top talent with that little amount of money!

Unless there are plans to find a way to not be over the cap but such plans would look like a tank because you’d have to consider trading Bogi for an expiring contract. Also looks like Bey has a cap hold, I wonder how we get that off the books.

The fear would be the Hawks offload Clint, Hunter, and Nance and then go out and sign a $8M role player in FA. I suppose that would be very on brand for the Hawks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So much to unpack here.

I disagree completely that the Hawks are clearly worse than the top 7 teams. The idea that the Hawks haven't gotten better is utterly ridiculous. The Hawk are better fit wise. They are better defensively. They have better depth. 

Thus can easily be a 45-47 win team.  The Hawks won 36 games last year but were decimated by injuries and lack of depth. They aren't likely to be hit as hard with injuries this year but would be better suites to withstand them if so.

And it's also not obvious that all of the above teams are better either. 

Finally, do you even know what you are talking about with the Spurs? You say, "None of those names move the needle of the goal is to make the playoffs and keep the pick. The FO has to be very careful if the goal is to not become a feeder to Spurs."  Exactly what pick area keeping by making the playoffs?? 

Why is it not obvious? Those 7 teams have at least 2 players with all star impact. Hawks have only 1. None of those teams got worse than last year and the hawks barely improved, if they even improved at all. This team would barely win 42 games as it stand now if they do not improve wing depth or the starting center and just salary dumping Hunter will make this team worse if a better player is not coming back.

Edited by ShayD
  • Like 1

Murray posted but deleted this.. lol

GSGj-XoaUAEysnO.thumb.jpg.ce4e04b73557ac3cba1681c82e7bf26f.jpg

Dejounte literally bashed San Antonio on his way out, despite the fact that he also claims that Popovich is his favorite head coach.

It's par for the course for DJM whenever he leaves a team, at this point.   😂

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Was thinking DFS, but BKN is rebuilding, don't see them parting with a 1st.

Except they have like ten firsts.  Is there a team with cap space that isn’t rebuilding?  

The Jazz took on Collins with the idea they could restore his value and flip him for a better return.  Maybe they have no market for DFS on an expiring deal and see that Hunter could be flipped in a year or two.  

The cap is gonna explode.  Hunters market could be quite strong especially if he is featured in Brooklyn for a year.

27 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

“The Days of pro franchises telling local cities that they are gonna leave if they don't get what they want are over.”

Unfortunately this is not true yet.  Just look at the jaguars, Panthers, and even the Marlins as recent examples.  I wish taxpayer funding was not a thing.

To your quotes about the Braves from the city, they never built up the area while the Braves were there.  Also, they spent hundreds of millions for the Hawks and Falcons downtown.  So it’s not like they didn’t give LOADS of money, they just picked different teams to give it to.  

But again, it worked out for the area around Turner field as it is thankfully thriving.

To say that I'm surprised that Charlotte, Jacksonville and Miami are still playing the game is a understatement and really, it shouldn't be surprising.  Congratulations to Charlotte, Jacksonville and Miami for proving this world is in a bad place.  In a time of record homelessness, hunger, inflation and despair, they FIND money to fund ENTERTAINMENT.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Could it be Malik Beasley?  Just signed, but is there a work around?

Pure speculation but George’s Niang?  Played for Quinn in Utah. Makes less and fills Cleveland’s need for big wing. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

To say that I'm surprised that Charlotte, Jacksonville and Miami are still playing the game is a understatement and really, it shouldn't be surprising.  Congratulations to Charlotte, Jacksonville and Miami for proving this world is in a bad place.  In a time of record homelessness, hunger, inflation and despair, they FIND money to fund ENTERTAINMENT.

Buffalo and Kansas City are other recent examples. That is terribly sad that we do this in our society and billionaires cry poor.  This is definitely a bigger issue than basketball or sports.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ShayD said:

Why is it not obvious? Those 7 teams have at least 2 players with all star impact. Hawks have only 1. None of those teams got worse than last year and the hawks barely improved, if they even improved at all. This team would barely win 42 games as it stand now if they do not improve wing depth or the starting center and just salary dumping Hunter will make this team worse if a better player is not coming back.

This is laughable, imo.  But we can just agree to disagree.  

And I notice you didn't answer my question on what pick you are expecting to have if we make the playoffs next year?  

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, terrell said:

GSGj-XoaUAEysnO.thumb.jpg.ce4e04b73557ac3cba1681c82e7bf26f.jpg

Dejounte literally bashed San Antonio on his way out, despite the fact that he also claims that Popovich is his favorite head coach.

A lot of fans here are bashing him too.  It is natural after a breakup.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, terrell said:

DJM is this type of guy. He is a good player, he does speak a lot. It isn't really an issue. Bored fans make things issues.

• Like 1