• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He has yet to do it in the NBA anywhere.  I don't like bashing players but he really should be a sixth man.  

I'm willing to see what he can do on a team that is trying to win.  Clearly the Spurs were in rebuild mode when he was leading them.  And clearly he wasn't the PG here in Atlanta.  

This will be a new opportunity for him.  I'm skeptical, but willing to wait and see how it goes before labeling him a 6th man.  

To me, he just seems more like a score first, get his own shot, leading guard more than a guy that's going to run the offense and create opportunities for other players.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

To me, he just seems more like a score first, get his own shot, leading guard more than a guy that's going to run the offense and create opportunities for other players.  

The problem is that he isn't good enough to make this style work consistently which limits his ability to help a team win at a high level

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Clearly the Spurs were in rebuild mode when he was leading them

I suppose but their lineup included Derozan, Aldridge and Patty Mills getting big minutes.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The problem is that he isn't good enough to make this style work consistently which limits his ability to help a team win at a high level

Bingo.  He plays like he's Kyrie Irving but he doesn't have the talent to do that.  He really needs to focus on "true" PG duties in New Orleans and his game will contribute more to winning

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, warcore said:

Bruce Brown

Bruce makes more than Hunter lol. 

Granted it's an expiring, but that does nothing for us this year so I don't know why we'd be in a rush to trade Hunter right now just to take back 23 mill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I suppose but their lineup included Derozan, Aldridge and Patty Mills getting big minutes.  

Yeah.  I was thinking more about the 21-22 year when he made all star and all of these guys were gone.  It was really just him, D White, K Johnson, and D Vassell. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Afro said:

Bruce makes more than Hunter lol. 

Granted it's an expiring, but that does nothing for us this year so I don't know why we'd be in a rush to trade Hunter right now just to take back 23 mill

did not realize that.... yowzers. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

This is laughable, imo.  But we can just agree to disagree.  

And I notice you didn't answer my question on what pick you are expecting to have if we make the playoffs next year?  

Which if those teams are you picking the hawks over? And anything that is not a lottery pick. Won't care if it's the 15th pick as far as the Spurs don't get a lottery pick from the hawks

22 minutes ago, warcore said:

did not realize that.... yowzers. 

Yeah Bruce got PAID lol. 

This is part of the reason I side-eye some of these Hunter contract talks. He is definitely overpaid, but egregiously so? IDK. Teams LOVE paying half decent starting wings 20+mill whenever they're available. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

This is fair.  He very clearly didn't impact winning HERE in the role that was envisioned for him next to Trae.   I suppose you could argue he did impact winning, but negatively.  Regardless, I think he's a good player but not elite. 

Yeah, I view their pairing as similar to watching Capela play next to Mutombo.  That is going to fail even though both are quality players who clearly impacted winning in a positive way in better circumstances.  NO will probably define his career.  If he makes them worse like some are predicting here, it will ruin his reputation for sure.  If they go win 50+ games, he will look much better.

Reality is that lots of players have limitations but in good situations flourish.  Jrue Holiday is a model for what DJM should be aspiring to accomplish with his career, imo.  Both are somewhat limit as playmakers but can score some and defend PGs reasonably well.  (They aren't the same player, DJM is a better rebounder and Jrue the better defender who became a better 3pt shooter in his 30's but there is enough overlap in my view to see a model for success for DJM.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ShayD said:

Which if those teams are you picking the hawks over? And anything that is not a lottery pick. Won't care if it's the 15th pick as far as the Spurs don't get a lottery pick from the hawks

Dude.....the Hawks don't keep the pick.  It doesn't matter where it is.  The Spurs own it. Period.  The Hawks making the playoff isn't going to allow them to keep their pick.  

• Like 1

The OG/Hunter discussion was interesting for the same reason. Sorry, I cant remember which thread it was, hopefully this one lol. 

OG is better, but is he twice as good? Because he is now being paid double. And its not like the Knicks wildly overpaid. There was interest in him in that 35ish mil range. 

A decent wing+ a first is fine value for Hunter. But a decent wing is the kicker. Salary dumping him for a throw-in player should be a non-starter(unless this team is just fully rebuilding...). 

A. Because his contract isnt THAT bad

B. You can't replace him through anything but the draft.....because you'll have to pay someone of his caliber the exact same through vet trade or FA signing. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Afro said:

The OG/Hunter discussion was interesting for the same reason. Sorry, I cant remember which thread it was, hopefully this one lol. 

OG is better, but is he twice as good? Because he is now being paid double. And its not like the Knicks wildly overpaid. There was interest in him in that 35ish mil range. 

A decent wing+ a first is fine value for Hunter. But a decent wing is the kicker. Salary dumping him for a throw-in player should be a non-starter(unless this team is just fully rebuilding...). 

A. Because his contract isnt THAT bad

B. You can't replace him through anything but the draft.....because you'll have to pay someone of his caliber the exact same through vet trade or FA signing. 

Agree.  I think we could have signed him for less had we let RFA work for us but that is spilled milk.  The cap is rising and the price of wings is rising.  Hunter isn't a world beater or perfect fit but he is a good player who was our only big wing defender last year and his absence really hurt us.  The only big wing defender we added since then is Risacher who is a 190 lb rookie.  We should be looking to compete (not contend) this season so only trade him for basketball value please. 

If you can combine a good player with some salary dumping then sure but I don't know how we would be set up to get a solid player, dump salary, and pick up a first round pick.  The fact is that Hunter has injury issues, bad metrics, and is not badly overpaid but isn't on a contract that anyone is excited about.  If you are picking up a first round pick in the deal, it is almost certain you are taking on either a worse contract (which seems unlikely given our efforts to unload bad contracts) or you are taking a huge hit on talent.

We already slashed our payroll so we won't be paying the tax next year and aligned our roster so we have ~$33.5M in expiring salaries for Nance and Capela for next year to make sure we aren't going to pay the tax then either.  Dumping Hunter even for an expiring contract doesn't open things up for us to sign some star FA.  It opens up enough cap space for us to sign someone who makes less than he does.  IMO, that isn't worth hurting our competitiveness this season to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With PG gone and Kawhi constantly injured and looking more disinterested(personal opinion)....

Let's bring that Capela/Hunter for Powell/Zubac deal back around lol

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

With PG gone and Kawhi constantly injured and looking more disinterested(personal opinion)....

Do we want Powell and Zubac?  I’d be surprised if that was as good as it got for Hunter/Capela.

• Moderators

White riding the glow of that post-Boston-Championship helium.  He really shouldn't be on this kind of list.

• Like 3

• Moderators

We should be getting Powell over here.  He's just what we need.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

White riding the glow of that post-Boston-Championship helium.  He really shouldn't be on this kind of list.

Don't get me started on that NBA narrative bullshit again, AHF lol

energizer-bunny.gif

• Haha 1