• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

Considering Ayton as an option could be beneficial.

Exploring his potential to synergize with Trae and maximize his abilities seems worthwhile. His versatility in the paint could facilitate easier lane access for Trae.

I'm optimistic about acquiring a strong player through a potential DJM/Capela/Hunter trade.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Just has a hot and cold motor

Which seems to be correlated with touches. I don’t like it. But with Trae he’s getting his touches. 

Sometimes guys need a change of scenery. If it’s capela centered, I’m open to bringing Ayton in. Would prefer Kessler though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Does he hustle?  Does he block shots?  Does he challenge and make it difficult?  No

He wore out his welcome in PHX and Portland for his lack of effort and last of d.  

He is bad … Ayton is not the answer for this team because he can score.  

I see how it could be intriguing on paper but, like AH said, the swiftness with which POR gave up on him shld give us major pause.

Could this be a least-bad option to upgrade at 5 tho?  That's the question.  I mean, we could go after Vuc from CHI but he has the same issues as Ayton.

If we can get him for cheap from POR, it may be worth the headache. I dunno.

I still wonder if going after a Hartenstein would make more sense.  Basically a better version of capela.  Same warts, fewer missed bunnies, cheaper than Ayton. 

4 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Which seems to be correlated with touches. I don’t like it. But with Trae he’s getting his touches. 

Sometimes guys need a change of scenery. If it’s capela centered, I’m open to bringing Ayton in. Would prefer Kessler though. 

Another question tho.  Why would POR want capela if they're trying to make room for their draft pick and are already paying Robert Williams? 

• Like 2

It's not obvious because it seemed the draft was going to be easiest way to upgrade the front court and trades would be easiest way to upgrade wings, but not hearing anything regarding anyone we have that would be an upgrade for us in the front.  One the draft was over we should have had these great offers for dj start to come to fruition. If the deals aren't good enough then they weren't that serious about him , doesn't seem like there is anything else to be waiting on here 

• Moderators

I will say that whatever combination of DJM/CC/DH get traded that it is very possible the net salary will come down for us so we can avoid the tax.  Ayton is tough with his $34M to make that happen.

I would also say that you need a wing coming back if you move DH and need a center coming back if you move CC.  DJM is the easy one because I think you can move him for anything other than a PG and help the roster and him trading for a wing or center would allow the Hawks to do their classic salary dump trade.  (I’m not rooting for that.)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Another question tho.  Why would POR want capela if they're trying to make room for their draft pick and are already paying Robert Williams? 

It’d probably have to be a 3 teamer to make sense. Something like what @NBASupes posted. 

or maybe they’d value capelas leadership and expiring salary?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, h4wkfan said:

It’d probably have to be a 3 teamer to make sense. Something like what @NBASupes posted. 

or maybe they’d value capelas leadership and expiring salary?

Expiring salary could be valuable for them.  I doubt they have real aspirations at contending next year so they could use it to pick up more picks and take on someone else’s unwanted salary.  Capela fits a trade like that much more easily as an expiring than Ayton does owed roughly $70M the next two years.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I will say that whatever combination of DJM/CC/DH get traded that it is very possible the net salary will come down for us so we can avoid the tax.  Ayton is tough with his $34M to make that happen.

I would also say that you need a wing coming back if you move DH and need a center coming back if you move CC.  DJM is the easy one because I think you can move him for anything other than a PG and help the roster and him trading for a wing or center would allow the Hawks to do their classic salary dump trade.  (I’m not rooting for that.)

100%. Moving Hunter without getting a wing back is irresponsible.

I am so on the fence on Ayton, on one hand we have seen what he can be when he has a defined role when was in Phoenix that last year, on the other hand, we saw quite of bit of what happens when he disengages as well.  Maybe he finds a way to stay locked in, or he starts reverting back to his old habits. 

13 minutes ago, HawksNWaffles said:

I am so on the fence on Ayton, on one hand we have seen what he can be when he has a defined role when was in Phoenix that last year, on the other hand, we saw quite of bit of what happens when he disengages as well.  Maybe he finds a way to stay locked in, or he starts reverting back to his old habits. 

Man trust me the guy just want to be feed the ball when he has it going. Nothing wrong with that.

dude is a 20+ scorer with Trae on great efficiency. He’s a big that want to be a big. I love the possibilities of a Trae + Ayton combo and he’s not terrible defensively when he’s locked in.

i do agree with @Mikey statement that he can have a hot and cold motor but I also agree with @NBASupes that it’s his overall personality of being in a good situation or not. Trae and Synder would be very positive energy in my opinion and with how much Trae spams centers this should be a easy target for the front office.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

It's not like Ayton or Kessler is coming here.

I don't believe this FO can complete a trade like that.

Sadly I don’t either! Not to be a downer but I don’t believe in Landry and his team just yet. Landry has made some good contract negotiations but there’s still something missing about him being a GM.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Hawkish said:

Huh?!  I think Oprah is working in multiple NBA front offices.  

You get a contract, you get a contract, you all get contracts. :laugh1:.

Like I said - every offseason, same thing.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

It's not like Ayton or Kessler is coming here.

I don't believe this FO can complete a trade like that.

I think the price for Ayton is going to be very, very low.  Portland will take the best offer but if the best offer is just getting rid of his salary they will take that too and everyone knows it.

• Like 1