• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

36 minutes ago, Wretch said:

You are having a hard time with my comments because the Squawk is and has always been very polarized.  We have these extremely binary discussions that boil down to opposite camps of either "you like the thing" or "you don't like the thing" and you guys get so caught up in the back and forth that you have difficulty processing when someone isn't trying to take a side.

So we're clear, I'm concerned about retaining our star and in light of that, confused about the overall direction/strategy of the franchise going forward moreso than specifically what they're putting on the floor, in this moment, today.  I'm not committing to excitement and I'm not down on the team.  I am taking a wait and see attitude if that makes more sense to you.  I don't have questions about the roster as it's pretty obvious to anyone looking at it what we got.

For extra clarity, things I am NOT saying:

• We're not trying to compete
  • We can't win with this team
  • I am not excited by the potential in the players we have
  • I don't trust Landry
  • I don't trust Korver
  • I don't trust Quin
  • I want to trade Trae
  • I wish we kept DJM
  • I think Dyson Daniels has no potential
  • I don't like Risacher and I think he is going to bust

Trae has 2 years and a player option.  I am of the opinion that if we're going to try to build a team to keep Trae in a Hawks uniform, we should not make considerations beyond the '25/'26 season.  I love Trae, I think he's a superstar, and I believe he is a 1A.  I love his attitude and how he plays the game.  I think he is the most amazing Hawk that I have seen in nearly 40 years of watching this team.  Even if he requested a trade, I would still root for him because I like his attitude... I like him more than I have any Hawk - including Nique. 

I am not convinced that short of a deep and amazing playoff run, with a legitimate 1B beside him, that we would be able to retain Trae beyond 2026 and that will significantly affect his trade value...

**►!IF!◄**

...we at some point tried explore it.  I completely understand why people would think otherwise. Agree to disagree and let's move on from that.

As it pertains to what we have on the floor.  I don't know. 🤷🏾‍♂️ That's not a knock against Trae or the team.  It's just...my couch GM assessment of where we are. 

• I don't hate us this year
  • I am a Trae "stan" and have very few criticisms of his game.  He needs his compliment like any other star.
  • I love Jalen Johnson, and have been championing him since his SL debut.  I'm stupidly interested in seeing if there's any more growth in him.  Especially this year with DJ leaving an opening for 1B. 
  • I'm intrigued by the potential that Risacher has to be CnS. 
    • I think we have some great basketball minds in the front office, so I have faith that they at least believe that they made the right draft pick and worked hard on making the decision. 
    • I've seen a thousand rookies and he's that, so the proof will be what it actually translates to.
  • I'm not a "DE-fanse or bust" person, so I'm a bit worried about offensive production in general. 
    • I've been pining for a legit sniper in the starting lineup for years now.
  • I like the potential of DD as a defender and playmaker and I'm interested in seeing how the chemistry works with Trae.

I have questions like everyone else...  Will OO step into the starter's role and consistently provide offensive production outside of the paint?  What will we do with Clint?  What will we do with Hunter - I like our chances with him in that bench role.  Will Risacher bloosom sooner than later and push someone out of the starting lineup?  If no one steps up as a 1B, can we do it by committee like 2015?

I'm not confused and I'm not going to preach gloom and doom.  I'm just taking notes and observing.  I am put off with our ownership and how they've made a mess of being gifted a talent like Trae.

If there is any hard takeaways from me here:

1. I have ZERO confidence, negative confidence, that OUR OWNERSHIP will actually let the basketball minds do their jobs without meddling or "cheaping" out.  I will believe it when I see it and I'll die on that hill.
  2. If we don't already have what we need to compete at a high level, and are not making plans for a splash this season, then I have less than 30% confidence that we can obtain it within the confines Trae's contractual commitment to the franchise.

To be clear, I'm not having a hard time with your comments.  You clearly stated that you don't know what they are doing and I told you exactly what they are doing.  

And I actually agree with the majority of what you are saying (at least the parts that make sense). The only statements that don't seem coherent to me are:

"I'm concerned about retaining our star and in light of that, confused about the overall direction/strategy of the franchise going forward moreso than specifically what they're putting on the floor, in this moment, today."

and

"Trae has 2 years and a player option.  I am of the opinion that if we're going to try to build a team to keep Trae in a Hawks uniform, we should not make considerations beyond the '25/'26 season. "

I don't understand this.  If you are concerned about Trae and keeping him beyond the 25/26 season, you should ABSOLUTELY be concerned with what is on the court this year.  And why doesn't the fact that the team is being reconstructed to fit exactly what Trae needs around him make a compelling reason for Trae to stay?  

Personally, I think the strategy to keep Trae is simple:

1. Surround Trae with players that allow him to flourish and the TEAM to succeed.  ✔️
  2. Go out and show improvement in 24/25 - that means making the playoff and competing (not getting swept). ❓
  3. Focus on contention in the 25/26 season. ❓

If the above fails, Trae is probably gone.  If it doesn't, he'll be here for a long time.  I just don't think we can sit here today and say that Trae is gone in 2 years based on all the things we don't know.  

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Afro said:

I think this might also give us a reason as to why the Lakers are always the ones who are involved in the Traed(purposeful misspelling lol) talks. Other than the obvious NBA media BS. 

They're the only ones that probably have the urgency to trade for Trae now cause LeBrons bout in the NBA grave. 

Teams like the Spurs can just wait 2 years. 

Trae has a home in LA too.  

I'm also sad that *if* Trae asked out, I'm not sure there's anything we can do about that outside of completely changing course, which would make zero sense. 

If I was him I'd be very worried about having the Dame career, where Dame was too loyal until it was too late. 

If the Hawks said no to pushing the chips in now, why would he trust them to ever do it later? 

Outside of ZR and DD hitting their ceilings almost immediately and JJ reaching super star.... I don't see what would keep Trae around. 

Fool me once kinda deal. 

Edited by Afro

• Premium Member

This is not how you run a franchise that wants to win...who would want to play for a team that treats you like property? This team does this crap every year and think players will leave it al on the court for an owner/management like this? How can y'all be fans of this franchise?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

To be clear, I'm not having a hard time with your comments.  You clearly stated that you don't know what they are doing and I told you exactly what they are doing.  

And I actually agree with the majority of what you are saying (at least the parts that make sense). The only statements that don't seem coherent to me are:

"I'm concerned about retaining our star and in light of that, confused about the overall direction/strategy of the franchise going forward moreso than specifically what they're putting on the floor, in this moment, today."

and

"Trae has 2 years and a player option.  I am of the opinion that if we're going to try to build a team to keep Trae in a Hawks uniform, we should not make considerations beyond the '25/'26 season. "

I don't understand this.  If you are concerned about Trae and keeping him beyond the 25/26 season, you should ABSOLUTELY be concerned with what is on the court this year.  And why doesn't the fact that the team is being reconstructed to fit exactly what Trae needs around him make a compelling reason for Trae to stay?  

Personally, I think the strategy to keep Trae is simple:

1. Surround Trae with players that allow him to flourish and the TEAM to succeed.  ✔️
  2. Go out and show improvement in 24/25 - that means making the playoff and competing (not getting swept). ❓
  3. Focus on contention in the 25/26 season. ❓

If the above fails, Trae is probably gone.  If it doesn't, he'll be here for a long time.  I just don't think we can sit here today and say that Trae is gone in 2 years based on all the things we don't know.  

I think we might be talking past each other a little.  You are more optimistic about the team that we've assembled.  I don't necessarily disagree with the potential to be better, but I don't see a team built to keep Trae either.  There's so much meddling and mixed signals that it's hard for me to get a good read.  So, I'm more wait and see.  We will have to agree to disagree if you have already put yourself in the "optimistic" camp.  I'm not there yet, but I'm also not throwing in the towel so I don't know if we have anything to debate.

If I just had to hazard a guess...  It doesn't look like we're going all in to keep Trae.  We look and sound like a team that has prioritized flexibility: youth, cap space, and draft picks.  I will wait and see before I commit to that fully.

For the folks that wanna trade him to get our picks back, what has this clownership (doesn't even autocorrect anymore) shown you that gives you any level of confidence they're able to do any dayum thing with the newfound assets and c(r)apspace? 

I'll wait .. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I dont know if I'm laughing to keep from crying or I'm laughing like the joker because I rigged State Farm to blow sky high. 😆

But the best part is this clown is angling to trade the only allNBA talent we've sniffed for literal decades.  To do what?  Rely on his vision for the future?

I'm just laughing because I have no idea what else to do.

This was my exact response when I listened:

Language!

Spoiler

nervous-laugh-vp-smile-happy-gif-1345493

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Whilst looking at Landry tweets I was bombarded with the realization that Delon Wright signed for less than Cody Zeller. 

Im having a great time.... Lol

At this point I would make a great GM compared to whatever clown show they are running downtown

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wretch said:

If I just had to hazard a guess...  It doesn't look like we're going all in to keep Trae.  We look and sound like a team that has prioritized flexibility: youth, cap space, and draft picks.  I will wait and see before I commit to that fully.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me.  I think they have decided to build around Trae while doing so in a way that allows them flexibility to pivot IF Trae decides to leave.  The alternatives would be to sell out to keep Trae and if it doesn't work, risk losing him and having a more difficult time recovering OR just moving on from him now.  

I think they want to win with Trae so they've attempted to build around him by putting players in place that compliment him and hopefully will allow growth over the next two years.  In doing so, they are banking on young, talented pieces that fit Trae to be able to gel and take the team to the playoffs and into contention in year 2.  But they are also hedging their bets because they don't have complete control over Trae. So if he leaves, they've constructed the roster in a way that they would just be a PG away from having a good team again.  

Option A:  Put all your eggs in the Trae basket and sell out to please him

Option B:  Trade Trae and put all your eggs in the rebuild basket (but without your own draft picks)

Option C  Build around Trae in a way that allows you to move on from Trae in the easiest manner possible IN CASE Trae decides to leave on his own

I think we both agree Option B is not tenable.  We can debate the merits of Option A and C, but I think it's pretty clear what the organization has chosen.  I'm optimistic that it will work.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is not how you run a franchise that wants to win...who would want to play for a team that treats you like property? This team does this crap every year and think players will leave it al on the court for an owner/management like this? How can y'all be fans of this franchise?

Sign of the apocalypse, me and peo in full agreement.

Good GM's understand how to balance letting players know (a) due to the nature of the business, there's a chance they could be traded but (b) while you're here, you're valued.

Laundry needs to learn this art. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Bill Knight's Afro would run circles around Laundry. 

Billy Knights d*ck and Afro don't need to be in the same post together 😅

Edited by Afro
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This actually makes a lot of sense to me.  I think they have decided to build around Trae while doing so in a way that allows them flexibility to pivot IF Trae decides to leave.  The alternatives would be to sell out to keep Trae and if it doesn't work, risk losing him and having a more difficult time recovering OR just moving on from him now.  

I think they want to win with Trae so they've attempted to build around him by putting players in place that compliment him and hopefully will allow growth over the next two years.  In doing so, they are banking on young, talented pieces that fit Trae to be able to gel and take the team to the playoffs and into contention in year 2.  But they are also hedging their bets because they don't have complete control over Trae. So if he leaves, they've constructed the roster in a way that they would just be a PG away from having a good team again.  

Option A:  Put all your eggs in the Trae basket and sell out to please him

Option B:  Trade Trae and put all your eggs in the rebuild basket (but without your own draft picks)

Option C  Build around Trae in a way that allows you to move on from Trae in the easiest manner possible IN CASE Trae decides to leave on his own

I think we both agree Option B is not tenable.  We can debate the merits of Option A and C, but I think it's pretty clear what the organization has chosen.  I'm optimistic that it will work.  

This is what I see as well, well laid out.

• Like 1