• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, this confirms that Capela is going nowhere!

The trade created a surplus of options at center. There has been speculation the Hawks could trade Clint Capela, who has shared time with Onyeka Okongwu. Fields said he was trying to reach an agreement with center Bruno Fernando to push back Wednesday's deadline to guarantee Fernando's $2.72 million salary for next season.

Capela, 30, is due to earn more than $22 million next year before possibly becoming a free agent.

“I still place a lot of value in Clint, so should be fine,” Fields said.

What’s he supposed to say: I’m trying to trade Clint but haven’t made a deal yet? 🤨 

Comon Peo change your avatar cuz AHF got you. :jesus:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Did you watch the entire press conference or are you going off the tweet?

It’s from today y'all, this stuff isn’t hard to research. at 4:23 mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

It's not really that insane if you just digest what he's saying instead of finding ways to call him incompetent.  Try interpreting what he's saying and what he wants you to hear instead of figuring out why he's an idiot without knowing what's going on behind the scenes.  To me, Landry is putting the fan base on notice.  It's entirely possible Trae has already asked out internally and it's a matter of when we will/can trade him.

It's not even that hard of a conclusion to come to if you just look at all of the reporting around this team.  JJ has consistently been the only Hawk reported as untouchable.  There have been swirling rumors about Trae being traded and what his value is.  There have been reports his market is cold.  Why would anyone report that if his market wasn't being tested?  Now Landry is more aggressively signaling he might not be here.  I don't have an opinion on if we plan to trade him or not, but if we are, this is generally the type of playbook teams start running to prepare fans.  You never get franchise players traded out of the blue like you would for other guys.

I can't be convinced that was a good answer.  It is so muddle it raises more questions than anything.  There is no message in it unless you are willing to read the tea leaves like you are doing.  

If your reading is correct and Trae has asked out, however, the natural point to draw from that is that him asking out has happened because he has lost all confidence in the front office to put together a competitive team at this point.  Too many trades prioritizing cutting salary over getting strong returns.  Too much picks that are years away from making an impact on the floor at the time of the trade.  Now I hope your reading is wrong and thus what flows naturally from it is also wrong and that he is waiting to see how the team actually performs this year. 

I'm still hoping Trae hasn't given up on this front office.  Better to retool than rebuild this offseason.  Always has been the case.  If both Trae and DJM depart that is a full rebuild no matter how anyone tries to dress it up (especially if it is for young players, filler, and picks).  My best case scenario for this season is that the improved fit leads to improved performance and we have a star who wants to play in Atlanta with the young talents we have been putting together. 

Any scenario where Trae asks out leaves me with zero confidence that Fields will get a good return.  I have yet to see him handle a negotiation with another GM in a way where I felt like he got the best of it.  If the league knows that Trae wants out, that would be challenging to get back full value even for a strong GM.  It would really stink to shed the brightest talent we've had in Atlanta since Nique on the back of a soft rebuild when we don't even control our own pick for the next 3 years. San Antonio would be laughing their ***es off at us and starting the first of three consecutive pick watch threads that will entertain their fan base for the next 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It’s from today y'all, this stuff isn’t hard to research. at 4:23 mark.

It is when you have Covid. I was asking a question because I haven't looked it up myself. Thanks for video.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Yet Ive never seen a non-Hawks fan with a Trae jersey.  

This is not something that can be proven either way. What we know is that Hawks jerseys show up on the road. Whether they are a Hawks fan or Trae Young fan is anyone’s guess. Star jerseys show up in road arenas all the time when that star is in town.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

See.....it's crap like this that makes me wonder if the Hawks really are STUPID enough to trade Trae without having a legit PG option AND without having control of their own draft picks.  I've been operating on the assumption that despite all their faults, they couldn't possibly be dumb enough to trade the franchise away without any way to get better in the future.  But here we are with this idiotic answer to a softball question.  

This should literally be a 5 second clip.  Q: "Is it fair to say Trae will be on the roster this season?"  A:  "Absolutely. He's our superstar PG and he's vital to the team's success. "  

Rookie GM mistake. 

I’m playing catch up, and am sure I missed a few things, but this entire convo is insane to me.

This is a bottom 5 team without Trae.

This team doesn’t own its premium future picks.

We ALL should know this. Put those two together and trading Trae (barring a major major overpay - I won’t hold my breath) is simply an untenable position if you are an actual fan of this franchise and would like to watch and invest your time and fandom in a winning product.

”Trae Young is our franchise cornerstone, and we’re excited to lead the Atlanta Hawks back to the playoffs.”

EASY.

Insist on hedging? I’ve no idea what for - you can still do whatever you want and be like, yep, got an offer we couldn’t refuse, but ok. Add a disclaimer.

“Anything can happen, but Trae Young is our franchise cornerstone, and we’re excited to lead the Atlanta Hawks back to the playoffs.”

I mean, this should be SO easy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Rookie GM mistake. 

Is he still a rookie though? How long does he get an excuse for being green. It’s what, year 3 in charge now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

oh boy.gif

19 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What’s he supposed to say: I’m trying to trade Clint but haven’t made a deal yet? 🤨 

Comon Peo change your avatar cuz AHF got you. :jesus:

He didn't say that about any other player including Trae Young!

4 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Letting it leak that Reed Sheppard was a serious candidate for the number one pick, at the time, seemed intentional and kinda petty imho.  Even if that were true, everybody knew you couldn't play him and Trae together.  There was no good reason to allow that info to become public.  They may not be seeing eye to eye with Trae right now, but that wasn't the way to play your hand.

If there is an actual divorce coming here and the FO selected ZR over Sheppard anyway, that’s simply inexcusable.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

To give a fuller review on his answers:

(1) Fine answer on DJM.

(2) Nothing burger on the roster crunch and Bruno which is fine.

(3) Fine on Daniels.  He was the big piece coming back (at least in terms of 2024-25) so he should be excited and it is pretty obvious to call out his defense as a strength.  

(4) It is BS to try to justify the DJM with the benefit of hindsight.  Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.  Just admit it didn't work out.  Damages your credibility to say something this dumb.  I would personally have said that it was an exciting opportunity but just didn't work out.  Would never say we would do it again.  You aren't brain damaged.  You wouldn't do it again.

(5) The Trae answer is crap.  Feels like he was unprepared for that question.  Body language is not good during it.  The double laugh is incredibly uncomfortable.

(6) Talking about the future picks is fine.  

(7) Nothing burger answer on Clint but he obviously feels more comfortable.

(8) Discussion on development is fine.  

(9) Comments on the differences between Euro system and Hawks/NBA was good.  Was an interesting note as far as differences in spacing and conveyed his excitement for Risacher.   The description of shooting as a Risacher "superpower" was funny.

(10) Nothing burger on summer league in general.

I agree with AH.  Laundry is a nothing burger, in general.

🫥

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

(1) Fine answer on DJM.

(3) Fine on Daniels.  He was the big piece coming back (at least in terms of 2024-25) so he should be excited and it is pretty obvious to call out his defense as a strength.  

(4) It is BS to try to justify the DJM with the benefit of hindsight.  Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.  Just admit it didn't work out.  Damages your credibility to say something this dumb.  I would personally have said that it was an exciting opportunity but just didn't work out.  Would never say we would do it again.  You aren't brain damaged.  You wouldn't do it again.

(5) The Trae answer is crap.  Feels like he was unprepared for that question.  Body language is not good during it.  The double laugh is incredibly uncomfortable.

(9) Comments on the differences between Euro system and Hawks/NBA was good.  Was an interesting note as far as differences in spacing and conveyed his excitement for Risacher.   The description of shooting as a Risacher "superpower" was funny.

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

(1) Fine answer on DJM.

I am not a fan of how Landry answers questions. Very smuck, I know it all way. That doesn't mean he sucks or anything, just not my personal preference but he's a lot like many corporate guys at high levels. That attitude is common

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we could resign him on a non-max contract because of how small his market is then that would be pretty fantastic.

Big picture, though, Quin had to take the job expecting to succeed with Trae.  Let's make that the focus of this season: find success with the guys on the roster.

I truly think it will be interesting to say the least. 

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Did you watch the entire press conference or are you going off the tweet?

It's a recent video. That's what I was answering lol. 

• Like 1