• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I said something about PR?

You did not.  You mentioned a track record of not trading for full value in trades damaging the reputation of our front office and setting expectations for other GMs on what they should get in a trade with Atlanta which is pretty on point.

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

What is the great team building benefit from this downgrade salary dump trade?  What is the move that this enables?

I feel like I'm missing the silver bullet that this trade gives us.  Help me see what type of deal this trade unlocks for us when we are paying $8-10M less for a worse forward over the next 3 years.  I'll do my best to listen.

It’s not about this one move.  There is an aggregate effect when you edit the entire roster like this.  So, you cut from multiple places and next year you are in the running for guys like Derozan if they are available.  You need to eliminate the bloat everywhere you can, though.  

Then instead of trying to trade Hunter or Capela for an upgrade and being over the tax line at the end of the year, you have things teams actually want.  At the end of the year you are $25M below the tax line and you might be able to use the TPE or MLE.  

Hunter is not that good.  I’ll take more draft capital and a more flexible cap sheet.  We may end up moving Grant Williams too.  But it’s easier to carry $13M than $22M.  It’s also easier to move $13M.  

Don’t need to hear or know about a specific move we can do after this.  Eliminate overpaid guys who don’t fit your roster.  No need to explain a series of steps on how that could possibly help your franchise.  Hunter is clearly not who they want as our starting SF.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I said something about PR?

Explain why teams think we’re desperate.  Are we actually desperate?  
I would argue the best way to change that perception, if it exists, is to load your roster with good young talent and picks.  

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hunter is clearly not who they want as our starting SF.  

If this is true then i agree with most of what you are saying.  I don't know for sure if it is or not.  Honestly unless it's a personality thing then he seems like a Quin/Landry type of guy to me.  

I'm not the biggest fan but seems like his salary relative to production isn't that bad so not sure why he wouldn't have a market.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You really think Trae is going to stick around while watching the team dump player after player?  There is time sensitivity to competing NOW.  Trae has watched the team dump players for salary reductions for several straight years including this offseason with DJM which by itself is one thing because you can at least squint and see an improved roster from the trade due to fit but there is no putting lipstick on a pig to make Grant Williams look like an upgrade. 

If you want to keep your All-Star, at some point you need to try to compete along the way.  We sure didn't last year (or if you call putting all your eggs in the Siakam basket trying then I will say you failed) and ended up deliberately tanking the post-season roster to get into the lottery.  At least there was a moment of sanity where we stopped pretending to compete when we clearly didn't give a **** about competing for most of the season. 

Hunter getting $21.6M next year which is right about the same as a good role player like KCP ($22M).  We are already set up to dump $32M in salary with Nance and Capela next year.  We already dumped salary for this year with the DJM trade.  When is enough dumping enough to start competing?

I don't mind a Hunter trade but you should be trading with a priority in mind of competing for this season.  If we dump Hunter for a subpar player like Grant Williams, we are really putting all our eggs in the Risacher basket which seems unfair to me to aske of a 190 lb teenager.

The wing position is just not one where you should be deliberately making your roster more shallow and limited.  Hunter isn't my favorite Hawk but he contributes on both ends of the floor and has the size to guard big wings.  Can you say the same of Grant Williams?  If not, when does the team turn the corner and start focusing on competing?

The team turns the corner when all the bloat is gone and we have a solid core that fits well and is growing together.  It could happen a lot sooner than you think.

You think Hunter can hold the damn.  I think he’s a mirage.  Hunter is the kind of contract that holds us back.  You can’t upgrade from him in a straight up trade.  

But I do think Hunter for Williams and Capela + Nance for Ayton could put us in the top 6 maybe even a four seed.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If this is true then i agree with most of what you are saying.  I don't know for sure if it is or not.  Honestly unless it's a personality thing then he seems like a Quin/Landry type of guy to me.  

I'm not the biggest fan but seems like his salary relative to production isn't that bad so not sure why he wouldn't have a market.  

Thanks, this is half the conversation.  First you have to see they don’t want Hunter.  He’s not fluid.  He’s robotic.  They want a guy who decides if he will pass, drive, or shoot in less than a half second.

Also, Hunter has been available for trade for a while.  That lets you know he doesn’t have much of a market and that they want to move him.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, ShayD said:

That's why I said fake 1st. It would be one of those first that only conveys to 2nd round picks like the one pick hawks traded to spurs.

Charlotte's 1st in 2025 goes to SAS, top 14 protected then 2 2nds. The first pick they are able to trade would be 2027, so again why would they hamstrung themselves by owing a pick in 2027 even if it's a 'fake' 1st. It limits what they can do in other trades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You really think Trae is going to stick around while watching the team dump player after player?  There is time sensitivity to competing NOW.  Trae has watched the team dump players for salary reductions for several straight years including this offseason with DJM which by itself is one thing because you can at least squint and see an improved roster from the trade due to fit but there is no putting lipstick on a pig to make Grant Williams look like an upgrade. 

If you want to keep your All-Star, at some point you need to try to compete along the way.  We sure didn't last year (or if you call putting all your eggs in the Siakam basket trying then I will say you failed) and ended up deliberately tanking the post-season roster to get into the lottery.  At least there was a moment of sanity where we stopped pretending to compete when we clearly didn't give a **** about competing for most of the season. 

Hunter getting $21.6M next year which is right about the same as a good role player like KCP ($22M).  We are already set up to dump $32M in salary with Nance and Capela next year.  We already dumped salary for this year with the DJM trade.  When is enough dumping enough to start competing?

I don't mind a Hunter trade but you should be trading with a priority in mind of competing for this season.  If we dump Hunter for a subpar player like Grant Williams, we are really putting all our eggs in the Risacher basket which seems unfair to me to aske of a 190 lb teenager.

The wing position is just not one where you should be deliberately making your roster more shallow and limited.  Hunter isn't my favorite Hawk but he contributes on both ends of the floor and has the size to guard big wings.  Can you say the same of Grant Williams?  If not, when does the team turn the corner and start focusing on competing?

But the issue is that we are still small at the Center position (I can see them use the pick from Charlotte to re-route to Portland for Ayton).

At the end of the day, we have to find ways to build a team better because the CBA will handspring many teams that is over the aprons (we can see that already with GSW/LAC dumping salary and we will see the full effect next year with Phoenix) and we still have to pay JJ and others as well.

Edited by NekiEcko

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Thanks, this is half the conversation.  First you have to see they don’t want Hunter.  He’s not fluid.  He’s robotic.  They want a guy who decides if he will pass, drive, or shoot in less than a half second.

Also, Hunter has been available for trade for a while.  That lets you know he doesn’t have much of a market and that they want to move him.  

This is a good point.  His court vision is not good.  Although when he came back from injury we did see him make some passes that he had never made in his career.  I certainly won't miss yelling at the TV as much once he's gone although if Williams gets his minutes it may be a wash. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Instead of yelling at your TV with Hunter you'll be wanting to throw stuff at it or reach through the TV and give Williams ye ole

throat-punch-melissa-mc-carthy-gif-12791

If we get ant Williams, it'd be the first time I root against a current Hawk since the good ol' days of DelaneySucks. 

• Haha 1

I think Risacher is our planned future starter at three.  If we got Williams, he might start until Zac wins the job.

But we also have Vit and Dyson who can play some 3.  

Grant Williams would be the backup 4 if EJ Liddel doesn’t flatten him and take over.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If we get ant Williams, it'd be the first time I root against a current Hawk since the good ol' days of DelaneySucks. 

Evan Turner 🤢

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why would a tanking Charlotte give up a 1st??? This is a pipe dream.

I heard Hornets owners want to make the Playoffs next season.. Not sure how true that is... lol

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

People seem to have worked themselves up into thinking that DeAndre Hunter is worthless and that Risacher is a welcome improvement right now. I don't know what's going on but part of me want him to get away from this toxic situation just to open people's eye a bit next season

I'm with you. He can get far away.  If he goes on and realizes he's truly 3&D and then some, cool.  Bouquets.  Roses.  But from me, he's gets nada. I'm hoping he gets away too.