• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If Kobe Bofkin gets hurt, and he gets hurt a lot, we have no back up point guard. Signing him would have really helped our bench. 

No doubt.  But I am not critical of Landry for not signing him since I assume we tried but the role here was too small.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

No doubt.  But I am not critical of Landry for not signing him since I assume we tried but the role here was too small.

Yeah. Hawks reportedly offered more money but lesser role. Don't blame Jones for taking the better role as starter. But also can't blame Landry for it. He did all he could in this instance. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

They offered more money than the Suns but couldn't match the playing time let alone starting position.

What was the actual offer?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Sothron said:

They offered more money than the Suns but couldn't match the playing time let alone starting position.

They should have brought Delon Wright back to Atlanta but I will never stop beating that drum.

Makes sense, we are going to want to play Kobe as much as possible anyways, so even if we offered him double or triple the vet min, he's likely better off starting and putting up a bunch of nice stats with the Suns for his next contract, rather than splitting backup minutes with Kobe.

Delon would have been nice-- loved his time here.  I wonder if we made him an offer or if he had any interest in coming back here.  I think Kobe's presence likely deters most guys from wanting to come here.  Why would you want to come split backup minutes rather than have a secure role somewhere?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ShayD said:

trae-young-confused.gif

The honeymoon is over for Tyrese. His second half of the season saw teams actually ramping up their defense to slow him down, and you saw his production come way back down to Earth. I think he is great young player but just like Trae he will have to figure it out as he is about to face a ton of pressure from teams.

That rookie contract breakdown is fun and exciting. And then you get to place where your game warrants star level pay AND attention from other teams and that’s when you find out who is legit and who isn’t.

Maxey and Brunson are next up. Teams aren’t going to let you kill them over and over, they will force you to beat them with your weaknesses. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think it would necessarily be an obvious "must avoid Atlanta" sort of thing for backup PGs.  Kobe didn't play point in college and hasn't proven anything in the NBA.  The Hawks may well have described the role to a potential FA with that factored in but why would you even be talking to Jones then?  It's a bit unclear to me how we've been talking to potential backup PGs in FA this offseason.  For me, Delon seems like a much more realistic get but who knows if we pursued him at all.  I do think Delon would likely pass on us for the Bucks for the same price, though.  The backup PG is very clearly defined there and they are a significantly better team than we are so why pick us over them? 

Fields hasn't shown himself to be the type of recruiter that can get guys to sign on for the Hawks DNA experience over other teams that would present as better options for them so that really isn't my expectation.  I more would blame him in a situation where we could obviously sign someone for a more attractive total package and somehow watch him sign a worse deal somewhere else.  Total package for me is salary, competitiveness, role, etc. factoring in all those things together.  We've been passed up in that kind of situation in the past, but I don't really consider the Wright or Jones misses as that kind of dynamic.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think it would necessarily be an obvious "must avoid Atlanta" sort of thing for backup PGs.  Kobe didn't play point in college and hasn't proven anything in the NBA.  The Hawks may well have described the role to a potential FA with that factored in but why would you even be talking to Jones then?  It's a bit unclear to me how we've been talking to potential backup PGs in FA this offseason.  For me, Delon seems like a much more realistic get but who knows if we pursued him at all.  I do think Delon would likely pass on us for the Bucks for the same price, though.  The backup PG is very clearly defined there and they are a significantly better team than we are so why pick us over them? 

Fields hasn't shown himself to be the type of recruiter that can get guys to sign on for the Hawks DNA experience over other teams that would present as better options for them so that really isn't my expectation.  I more would blame him in a situation where we could obviously sign someone for a more attractive total package and somehow watch him sign a worse deal somewhere else.  Total package for me is salary, competitiveness, role, etc. factoring in all those things together.  We've been passed up in that kind of situation in the past, but I don't really consider the Wright or Jones misses as that kind of dynamic.

Yeah, and it's going to become more and more important to be able to sign some decent FAs as we consolidate talent into the starting lineup via trades or other means.  Right now, we have a decent amount of bench depth, but teams that are as consolidated as the Suns (3 guys at $150M) will always have an easier time getting those FA role players and bench guys-- their roles/opportunity will just be bigger in those types of situations versus fighting for minutes with a bunch of decent bench guys making between $10-20M (CC/OO, Bogi, Nance, maybe Hunter)  or promising rookie scale guys that will need minutes themselves (Kobe, Daniels, Risacher)

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Phunkabilly said:

I'm just going off memory and don't have a source of where I heard this, but I'm pretty sure Delon wasn't exactly thrilled with his experience in Atlanta.  Granted, it's pretty much an entirely new regime at this point, but he may have soured on Atlanta enough to where most of the other teams in the league would have a leg up on us.  Hard to criticize Landry for not getting a free agent who most likely didn't want to come here.

He got benched in a brutally unjustified way while he was here so that may well have soured him on the team in a way that has nothing to do with Fields.  I don't think that makes the sales pitch from Fields impossible but it means he has to overcome that presumably by pointing out that it is a new coaching staff and new front office.  Some GMs are better than others at convincing guys to buy in.  Time will tell whether this type of sales job is a strength for Landry.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm sure i'll get killed for this but Delon gets so much attention around here it's kind of crazy.  I really like the guy and I get that he does a lot of things really well but he's a 31 year old journeyman PG.  I hope our sights are set a little higher.

Now i run and hide

Md7z64.gif

You have to manage your expectations around here.  Minimum salary useful rotation players should be within the realm of things we can expect the FO to accomplish (although I again don't blame them in this case given the circumstances were against them, imo) so it will be a topic of discussion when talking about how the roster is framed and staring at some dead weight on the roster.  (Looking at you Zeller who should not have been part of the DJM deal by virtue of combining it with the Jonas trade).

• Like 1