• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Afro said:

This gets back to a good bit of my frustration that I mentioned before. 2 years ago the Mavs and Hawks weren't all that different talent wise. One team decided to make a ton of improvements, another just keeps staying the course at best and shipping dudes off for parts at worst. 

We see good teams get built all over and the Hawks do nothing. Idk how I'm supposed to support that. 

To add: This has absolutely nothing to do with Trae and Luka. 

Yeah exactly.   Going to be interesting if we have yet another summer of not adding talent outside of our draft picks. 

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah exactly.   Going to be interesting if we have yet another summer of not adding talent outside of our draft picks. 

And tbf, I'm not trying to say they're absolutely not doing anything this year. We still have time for that. 

But still. I'm about over watching other teams make small win now moves while half our fanbase says "well what do you want them to do?!".

Edited by Afro
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Afro said:

This gets back to a good bit of my frustration that I mentioned before. 2 years ago the Mavs and Hawks weren't all that different talent wise. One team decided to make a ton of improvements, another just keeps staying the course at best and shipping dudes off for parts at worst. 

We see good teams get built all over and the Hawks do nothing. Idk how I'm supposed to support that. 

To add: This has absolutely nothing to do with Trae and Luka. 

Would love if we made some more of these fringe type moves (like the Bey acquisition), but the primary reason Mavs have been able to execute on more deals is that were not handing out healthy extensions like candy.  They actually lost Brunson and got burned for being stingy, but when you're not creating negative value assets by paying guys too much, you'll always have more flexibility.  We started being more responsible when Landry took over but Schlenk paying Capela/JC/Hunter like they're his friends is the primary reason we have been so hamstrung.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do like that we will see him even in the summer league even if he ends up stashed in Europe.  Makes the summer more fun.

I agree and I will be watching, but I'd really love to stop caring about summer league rosters at some point soon lol. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Afro said:

And tbf, I'm not trying to say they're absolutely not doing anything this year. We still have time for that. 

But still. I'm about over watching other teams make small win now moves while half our fanbase says "well what do you want them to do?!".

disclaimer: i am over analyzing everything. 

I'm not thrilled with this quote.  Makes it sound like we're starting over.  plus Trae's total silence on anything Hawks related this summer is concerning to me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Afro said:

Well duh yeah.. They come for summer league like Alpha Kaba then never come back

Also, expect our "big" moves to be a JJ extension.

With excuses being, "retaining talent" is a priority for hawks culture dna.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Would love if we made some more of these fringe type moves (like the Bey acquisition), but the primary reason Mavs have been able to execute on more deals is that were not handing out healthy extensions like candy.  They actually lost Brunson and got burned for being stingy, but when you're not creating negative value assets by paying guys too much, you'll always have more flexibility.  We started being more responsible when Landry took over but Schlenk paying Capela/JC/Hunter like they're his friends is the primary reason we have been so hamstrung.

I don't really disagree but its a distinction without a difference lol. 

But I will say on the financial side, that THJ contract is easily just as bad as anything we have(or had ie Huerter and Collins). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not thrilled with this quote.  Makes it sound like we're starting over.  plus Trae's total silence on anything Hawks related this summer is concerning to me. 

Landry is in over his head. He sends too many mixed signals and is too transparent for his own good. His zingers are almost always used against him in negotiations. Pelinka calling him now "Oh I saw you are rebuilding around Zacc... the offer of Reeves and the burger coupons still stands.. ready to make it happen?"

I stand on this hill. 

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Nikola made a point to say that only Bogi has reached out to him. Well not a point, Im sure he was asked, but Bogi was the only one.

HAWKS DNA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

And I will say again. I'm not sure I blame the players here. 

The height of irony is all of this HAWKS DNA bullshit while Landry sows chaos in the locker room. 

OFC nobody is going to be gung hoe about the rookies......they're f***ing all on the trading block. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Afro said:

And I will say again. I'm not sure I blame the players here. 

The height of irony is all of this HAWKS DNA bullshit while Landry sows chaos in the locker room. 

OFC nobody is going to be gung hoe about the rookies......they're f***ing all on the trading block. 

No wonder they played terrible.. half the locker room isn't sure they are staying or going

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Afro said:

But I will say on the financial side, that THJ contract is easily just as bad as anything we have(or had ie Huerter and Collins). 

Yes, which is why they only got grimes and some seconds for him.  Would you be happy with that return for Hunter??

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yes, which is why they only got grimes and some seconds for him.  Would you be happy with that return for Hunter??

Hunter isn't THJ, so no. I'd liken it more to Collins after they threw his value in the trash. In which case, 110%. We got Rudy Gay and a 2nd. 

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. Mavs find ways to get useful players back. We get absolutely nothing. And it shows. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

Hunter isn't THJ, so no. I'd liken it more to Collins after they threw his value in the trash. In which case, 110%. We got Rudy Gay and a 2nd. 

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. Mavs find ways to get useful players back. We get absolutely nothing. And it shows. 

The Mavs didn't get a useful player.  They got Grimes.  

• Like 1