• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Right now they don't have the roster space for him but I agree he'd be a good low risk/good reward signing. I wish we could do a two for one or just trade someone into another team's cap space. They tried hard to keep Bruno but no one wants Cody Zeller. And since Tony refuses to pay the LT...we can't just waive Zeller because it would still count against the cap.

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

While I wished we'd gotten out of that a little better, I think a lot of people are undervaluing that Lakers pick.  They're relying on Mr. Glass AD and an over 40 Lebron to be good.  AD played in 56 games last year and Lebron played well and DLo went on a stretch for a while there playing really well and they still barely got out of the play in.  I'm not expected much from them.

In a year, that Lakers pick could be the most valuable part of the trade for us.  It had the potential to be.  I value it in much the same way that I discount the worst of pick.  Daniels could also bust out.  Depends if he is more like Thabo and Thybulle or becomes an offensive weapon to go with the high level defense.  The trade isn’t without its appeal and it could have been worse.  It is the ways it should have been better that really bug me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Right now they don't have the roster space for him but I agree he'd be a good low risk/good reward signing. I wish we could do a two for one or just trade someone into another team's cap space. They tried hard to keep Bruno but no one wants Cody Zeller. And since Tony refuses to pay the LT...we can't just waive Zeller because it would still count against the cap.

Isn't Garrison Matthews contract only partially Guaranteed? Why not just waive him now, so we won't be on the hook for his entire salary.  He's a good shooter, but plays a position that we already have enough players at.

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's really an undersized two at this point. Not really good at facilitating an offense since he doesn't have any shooting gravity.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Isn't Garrison Matthews contract only partially Guaranteed? Why not just waive him now, so we won't be on the hook for his entire salary.  He's a good shooter, but plays a position that we already have enough players at.

He might be the best contract in the league, tbh.  An actual rotation player on a nonguaranteed deal?  And a shooter on top of that?

You expect this cheap a** bunch to get rid of a productive player on a partial guaranteed contract?  They probably squeal with delight at the cost savings every time he hits a 3.  Mathews is the holy grail for Ressler's bunch. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

In a year, that Lakers pick could be the most valuable part of the trade for us.  It had the potential to be.  I value it in much the same way that I discount the worst of pick.  Daniels could also bust out.  Depends if he is more like Thabo and Thybulle or becomes an offensive weapon to go with the high level defense.  The trade isn’t without its appeal and it could have been worse.  It is the ways it should have been better that really bug me.

Yup, 100%. Seems like a lot of the trade could have been a little better at least. Seems like the other team is always the one putting the cherry on top of the trade and us the ones giving away ground, when really considering the best player is going the other way, it should be the opposite. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Sothron said:

I thought part of the SnT with Zeller was to negotiate a buyout which would reduce the amount of the cap hit? At least that was the early reporting. Now we are stuck with him. To me this was an error on the Hawks side, NOP should have been the one finding a taker for him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I thought part of the SnT with Zeller was to negotiate a buyout which would reduce the amount of the cap hit? At least that was the early reporting. Now we are stuck with him. To me this was an error on the Hawks side, NOP should have been the one finding a taker for him.

We should have insisted this be a three team trade with the Wizards but TS won't do business with the Hawks after what happened here. They were willing to take one for the Pelicans to make the trade work but I agree, we should have gotten some kind of extra asset to be stuck with Zeller on a one year guaranteed deal.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm wearing you down.  Pretty soon you're gonna be as down on Laundry as the rest of us.

smile-krysten-ritter-love-baby-laughing-

You can't blame the chef when the restaurant owner won't buy steak.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Welp! There goes Jarrett Allen….i did not think they would extend all 3 in one summer.

The Cavs want to win and I ain’t mad at them . Griffin brought the money to the table.

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Welp! There goes Jarrett Allen….i did not think they would extend all 3 in one summer.

The Cavs want to win and I ain’t mad at them . Griffin brought the money to the table.

I like Allen, but $30m per year?  Geez!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I like Allen, but $30m per year?  Geez!!!!

I really think we have to get over these new salaries under cba.

teams like the hawks trying to so call play it smart but there’s no smart move here with the way things are and headed towards. Either you got it or you don’t and so far it doesn’t look like Travis and little Nicky has the pockets to keep up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

You can't blame the chef when the restaurant owner won't buy steak.

Were they willing to pass on Jonas to stick it to the Hawks?  If WAS could sign Jonas outright then they were just doing NO a favor but if they needed the SNT format for their own purposes, NO might have insisted on that if Atlanta hadn't let them off the hook.

When Atlanta caves and doesn't required an asset from NO, NO has no incentive to force WAS to combine the trades.  If Atlanta insists that NO pony up then it would not have been doing a favor for the Hawks for WAS to combine the deals but for the Pelicans as part of making the trade work for the Pelicans.  That way the Pelicans can pay less to Atlanta to make the deal happen because they don't have to give Atlanta the extra asset to make up for Atlanta having to eat Zeller.  But if we roll over and let NO get away with forcing Zeller on us to protect their own cap sheet and not giving anything up, of course NO isn't going to press WAS and WAS can stick it to the Hawks by refusing with no downside because they are getting Jonas anyway.

Seems to me NO should have either given up an asset (removed or reduced protection on the double protected worse of pick would work) or should have forced WAS to make it happen as a condition of the Jonas upgrade for them...unless they had no leverage over WAS because WAS was ready to sign Jonas and was just doing NO a favor.  At that point, NO would have to either give an asset to WAS to make the deal happen or give one to Atlanta and could go with whichever path was cheaper for them.  When Atlanta caves, it makes it easy for NO and for WAS.

• Thanks 2

I mean at this point I am confident Schlenk is the one who got in Sarr’s ear and told him not to work out for us before the draft. Probably coached him on how to tank his interviews with other teams so that all of our intel on him would end up negative.

Remember, he colluded with Hunter who cancelled all of his workouts after meeting with us in 2019.

Schlenk is good a making moves but he may need to be investigated for his tactics if he’s going out of his way to tank deals involving the Hawks.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I mean at this point I am confident Schlenk is the one who got in Sarr’s ear and told him not to work out for us before the draft. Probably coached him on how to tank his interviews with other teams so that all of our intel on him would end up negative.

Remember, he colluded with Hunter who cancelled all of his workouts after meeting with us in 2019.

Schlenk is good a making moves but he may need to be investigated for his tactics if he’s going out of his way to tank deals involving the Hawks.

If what he did was tell NO "no I'm not willing to combine the deals" and told Sarr's agent that Washington promised to draft him and asked him to refuse other workouts I'm not sure there is anything to investigate.  That all seems legit even if we don't like it.  Part of being a good GM is exercising your leverage.  You can counter tactics like that for example as I described above (and probably in many other better ways) but that is just part of the game off the court.

• Like 4