• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

So some insider information:

Hawks and Nuggets have discussed Hunter/Bogi/2027 NOP pick for MJP and small contracts to match up

This would reunite MJP and Trae and give the Hawks an elite level shooter to start next to JJ while ZR can flip minutes between SF and SG. 

Nuggets bench actually gets help for the first time in years (trust me) and they have the 2027 NOP first to use as trade bait or to keep.

Thoughts? I know MJP played a full season last year but when a guy has screws in his back I'm just leery. Hunter is not what we wanted him to be but he's still a useful rotation player/starter. Bogi is a 6th man candidate every year. Plus we'd lose the 2027 NOP pick.

OTOH having MJP gives the starting five a real shooter to help with spacing and makes things easier for everyone. He's also a big forward and a decent defender as well.

So, that sounds like exactly the trade that a BR guy proposed that I saw earlier...

https://soaringdownsouth.com/hawks-urged-trade-nuggets-porter-young

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Hawks and Nuggets have discussed Hunter/Bogi/2027 NOP pick for MJP and small contracts to match up

This would reunite MJP and Trae and give the Hawks an elite level shooter to start next to JJ while ZR can flip minutes between SF and SG. 

Nuggets bench actually gets help for the first time in years (trust me) and they have the 2027 NOP first to use as trade bait or to keep.

Thoughts? I know MJP played a full season last year but when a guy has screws in his back I'm just leery. Hunter is not what we wanted him to be but he's still a useful rotation player/starter. Bogi is a 6th man candidate every year. Plus we'd lose the 2027 NOP pick.

OTOH having MJP gives the starting five a real shooter to help with spacing and makes things easier for everyone. He's also a big forward and a decent defender as well.

Easy pass

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

So, that sounds like exactly the trade that a BR guy proposed that I saw earlier...

https://soaringdownsouth.com/hawks-urged-trade-nuggets-porter-young

Interesting. I heard this last week but had family forced to evacuate to live with us until they could go back to their damaged house thanks to the hurricane. I'm wondering if whoever wrote this is hearing this from their own sources. 

• Premium Member

If Trae and his buddy MPJ want to take some team friendly discounts on their next deals then 100%.  Otherwise, depends on the deal itself and draft capital.  MPJ is better than Hunter but is he $13M better? Idk, he feels like a final piece to make a move for, not before we figure out center

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

That’s wild that the article was actually spot on accurate.

Thoughts:

Makes Trae happy to play with one of his best friends. We know the chemistry is there. It’s definitely an investment in keeping him around.

MPJ fits our timeline in a way Bogi doesn’t long term (he is fine today just thinking ahead)

We get off DH’s contract and middling potential. Makes sense why he has been sitting out. Shit probably got very real.

MPJ gives Landry another El Debarge look a like in the starting lineup. We would be the Atlanta Michael Jacksons they way we are transforming from ebony to ivory lol

MPJ (at that price) is a commitment and lowkey gives us a bit of leverage with JJ’s negotiations. We wouldn’t be held at gunpoint if he wants a Max considering.

I would miss Bogi, but otherwise I can stomach it.

But, considering we are posting about it, it has the kiss of death and likely won’t happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Pass. Especially if the pick is included. Eating MPJs contract will come back to bite the team later and they have to be very careful as Trae is definitely taking the max on his next deal for the Hawks especially. And the team still needs a starting C and back up PG. Hawks depth is also not that good if they get rid of both Bogi and Dre, as seen tonight Bogi and Dre are both better shot creators than MPJ and when Trae sits then it can be a problem.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ShayD said:

Pass. Especially if the pick is included. Eating MPJs contract will come back to bite the team later and they have to be very careful as Trae is definitely taking the max on his next deal for the Hawks especially. And the team still needs a starting C and back up PG. Hawks depth is also not that good if they get rid of both Bogi and Dre, as seen tonight Bogi and Dre are both better shot creators than MPJ and when Trae sits then it can be a problem.

Whoa there with the Hunter shot creator thingy. But I agree with the premise of your post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AtLaS said:

13m + Bogi + a 1st better?  Hell no.  Kills our depth for an injury prone player who has a big chance of becoming a horrifically bad contract.  We need a C.  

We would miss Bogi considerably.  Having a player’s friends is an overrated strategy.  MPJ is a non-elite player making elite money with a significant injury/medical condition.  Hunter’s contract is difficult to trade but MPJ’s isn’t?  

• Like 3

Just realized that trade would also unite Jokic and Bogi. The NBA is really turning into a high school friends hanging out league.  
If you’re thirsty to keep Trae in Atlanta this is a way to do it.  MPJ contract ends same year as Hunter’s.  About $15M higher. 
If this was the only viable path to keeping Trae…maybe. 

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

Played around with the Spotrac trade machine. The only realistic trade that works is

• Hunter + Bogi + 2027 MIL or NOLA 1st round pick for MPJ + Dayron Holmes + Hunter Tyson.

After completing the trade, Atlanta would need to waive three players and Denver would need to waive 2 players.

image.thumb.png.4541ea6799b8e81cf00b3fcc25534dbd.png

Also, if we complete this trade, we would become a luxury tax team. I highly doubt they choose to go into the tax this year the more that I think about it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, AtLaS said:

13m + Bogi + a 1st better?  Hell no.  Kills our depth for an injury prone player who has a big chance of becoming a horrifically bad contract.  We need a C.  

Bogi is a sell high candidate for me.  I love him-- arguably my favorite Hawks the past 3-4 years, but he is very injury prone and likely to decline soon.  Bogi and Hunter have been two of the most injury prone players on our roster for years, so I'm not sure this kills our depth like you're saying it does.  Also, "killing" your depth for upgraded high end talent is how you win championships.  Not by having lots of decent players on the bench.  We will need a consolidation trade at some point, even if this trade proposal feels a little early.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I ain't trading Bogi.  Let Denver farm for depth elsewhere.  Figure a way to effectively swap Hunter for MPJr and leave it at that.

Dre + Nance for MPJ also works. We still become a luxury tax team unless we find a third team to take on a Garrison Matthews or David Roddy for free.