• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I ain't trading Bogi.  Let Denver farm for depth elsewhere.  Figure a way to effectively swap Hunter for MPJr and leave it at that.

Eta. And, if that don't work, walk TF away.  And, on the keep Trae happy thing, when was the last time the 'bring a friend to work' thing ever actually worked?  Isn't this how we got saddled with Murray?

Yeah get a 3rd team involved keep bogi and pick..I dont see us going into luxury tho

Edited by ABH

40 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I ain't trading Bogi.  Let Denver farm for depth elsewhere.  Figure a way to effectively swap Hunter for MPJr and leave it at that.

Eta. And, if that don't work, walk TF away.  And, on the keep Trae happy thing, when was the last time the 'bring a friend to work' thing ever actually worked?  Isn't this how we got saddled with Murray?

Somewhat on point. I just maintain that the Murray trade is not a great comparison about "friend" pairing even if it didn't work. MPJ doesn't take away what Trae does best. The fit isn't bad at all.  

The biggest contention has been beaten to death. We can stop at money however . No way in h3ll this team goes into luxury.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Bogi is a sell high candidate for me.  I love him-- arguably my favorite Hawks the past 3-4 years, but he is very injury prone and likely to decline soon.  Bogi and Hunter have been two of the most injury prone players on our roster for years, so I'm not sure this kills our depth like you're saying it does.  Also, "killing" your depth for upgraded high end talent is how you win championships.  Not by having lots of decent players on the bench.  We will need a consolidation trade at some point, even if this trade proposal feels a little early.

Not ready for a consolidation trade yet until we see what we have with this team.  We haven't had depth in 3 years and that has killed this team.  

If we make this deal and then one of MPJ/DD/ZR gets hurt (likely) we are right back where we were last year.  Meaning playing Vit/Mathews/Roddy/Barlow etc extended minutes.  Not sure Vit is ready for a 6th man role and the other guys are major downgrades.

We are already thin at C with OO always hurt and now CC banged up.  Nance is our only C.  

Injuries pile up quick.  I'm all for a consolidation trade if it makes sense, but MPJ to me isn't a difference maker that gets us closer to contention, not at that price.

• Like 4

Just now, AtLaS said:

Not ready for a consolidation trade yet until we see what we have with this team.  We haven't had depth in 3 years and that has been one of the primary factors that has hurt this team.  

If we make this deal and then one of MPJ/DD/ZR gets hurt (likely) we are right back where we were last year.  Meaning playing Vit/Mathews/Roddy/Barlow etc extended minutes.  Not sure Vit is ready for a 6th man role and the other guys are major downgrades.

We are already thin at C with OO always hurt and now CC banged up.  Nance is our only C.  

Injuries pile up quick.  I'm all for a consolidation trade if it makes sense, but MPJ to me isn't a difference maker that gets us closer to contention, not at that price.

I agree. If we were a team like Houston, I would agree with a consolidation trade. However, we are team that needs real depth on the wings given the injury history of some those players.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

If we make this deal and then one of MPJ/DD/ZR gets hurt (likely) we are right back where we were last year.

MPJ has played over 100 games straight at this point.  Every single contender is an injury away from not being a contender-- that's just reality no matter what.  I do agree with you it's too early to make this move, but if we play well this year I would not hate this move going into the 25-26 season

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Somewhat on point. I just maintain that the Murray trade is not a great comparison about "friend" pairing even if it didn't work. MPJ doesn't take away what Trae does best. The fit isn't bad at all.  

The biggest contention has been beaten to death. We can stop at money however . No way in h3ll this team goes into luxury.  

Good point.  MPJ and Trae actually fit. 

As far as money goes MPJ = Hunter + Bogi.  It doesn't really change our spending.  We're spending on one player instead of two, but overall spend is the same. Just shortens the rotation.  We still have a wing rotation of Risacher, Dyson, and MPJ.  Vit is the next man up if needed.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Dre + Nance for MPJ also works. We still become a luxury tax team unless we find a third team to take on a Garrison Matthews or David Roddy for free.

F that, we need Nance more than we know.

But that's my anti-OO bias leaking out...

57 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I balk at pairing more non-defenders and non-grit guys around Trae tho.

32 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I haven't heard of any interest from Denver in trading anyone in their current core

That can be a moving target tho.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Good point.  MPJ and Trae actually fit. 

As far as money goes MPJ = Hunter + Bogi.  It doesn't really change our spending.  We're spending on one player instead of two, but overall spend is the same. Just shortens the rotation.  We still have a wing rotation of Risacher, Dyson, and MPJ.  Vit is the next man up if needed.  

Yeah but again, after this trade we are more vulnerable to an injury than we are today.  We are worse on defense and we still need a C.  How do we get a C after trading Bogi + Dre+ a 1st?  

In addition, we drafted ZR #1 overall to come off the bench?  Or are you convinced he can play the 2?   ZR trying to guard Jaylen Brown, Donovan Mitchell, ANT, Booker types?  Even the non-star SGs, quick types like Rozier he will struggle.  I hope ZR can but I'm not sold on that.  We need Dyson to guard those guys which means ZR is a 6th man for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

MPJ has played over 100 games straight at this point.  Every single contender is an injury away from not being a contender-- that's just reality no matter what.  I do agree with you it's too early to make this move, but if we play well this year I would not hate this move going into the 25-26 season

The problem is we need a C.  If we are sacrificing depth in a consolidation trade it needs to be at a position of need.  How do we address C after this move?  Give up more picks/depth?

Plus I think ZR is going to be as good as MPJ anyway with a chance at being better at 1/4 the cost.

Trading for MPJ relegates ZR to the bench for the forseeable future unless you think he can play SG, which is he not ready for full time.  This means we get worse defensively.  

Isn't there also a salary cap restriction only allowing 2 rookie max extension players per team?  That means Trae/MPJ.  So what if JJ blows up this year and is worth a max?  We'd have to trade one of them.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• Like 3

• Moderators

That seems like a lot for MPJ honestly.   If he was making less then maybe but i can't say he's outperforming his contract.  I think Denver would take it with a lesser pick.   They need to move him to build again around Jokic.  MPJ's salary is standing in their way. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Zeller won't be here, OO isn't 100%, CC now has an injured ankle, Nance is still only 6'-8", Kobe is struggling at PG. I think we have other pressing and legitimate concerns on the roster. 

One thing I noticed with last night games, we still need some 'toughies' (guys that can take a hit and give a hit)- we tend to get re-routed/bumped off our paths too easily (except #BigBodiRoddi).

To your point, I love Roddy because of that physicality. Daniels also will mix it up but mainly defensively and on the glass and not so much as a banger with the ball.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

To your point, I love Roddy because of that physicality. Daniels also will mix it up but mainly defensively and on the glass and not so much as a banger with the ball.

Daniels is as advertised defensively.  He made Liami ballhandlers tap out a few times last night.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I don't disagree we need a center more than anything right now, but if the move makes us better and the pieces fit, and we aren't giving up draft capital, getting better is always good.  Especially if it meant getting off Dre's contract.  The path to a high quality set of starters isn't going to be made in one move-- we need to keep making the roster incrementally better.  If someone like Bam comes available, it's not like doing this move means we cannot trade for a center in the future.  Teams are not clamoring to get Hunter on their rosters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't disagree we need a center more than anything right now, but if the move makes us better and the pieces fit, and we aren't giving up draft capital, getting better is always good.  

But the proposal does indeed include draft capital.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hawkish said:

We would miss Bogi considerably.  Having a player’s friends is an overrated strategy.  MPJ is a non-elite player making elite money with a significant injury/medical condition.  Hunter’s contract is difficult to trade but MPJ’s isn’t?  

Its like they didnt learn anything from the Murray(friend) trade.......