• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

1 minute ago, hylndr11 said:

Yes all of this is known, def makes sense but they should be able to fetch something a bit better than DH is the issue. 

Hunter plus a pick probably is close to value.  Which some may still view as "straight up".  And for the record I would do it, of course.  Allen I'd prefer over Kessler.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Trae has lost some of his voice in the room and is on the trading block. That's why he hasn't said anything about the draft or the Hawks this summer. 

Those are his preferred trade destinations FWIW. 

Just because someone is on the trade block doesn't mean you trade them. Hawks have finally went from "we will never, ever trade Trae Young" to "we might trade him for the right package"

Almost all the Hawks players are on the trading block. There's a reason you are seeing a lot of silence among the Hawks players about the draft and direction of the team. 

Thanks…In my opinion that’s not going to end well.

you don’t put your cornerstone player on the trade block then expect him to not retaliate. Hawks may not move him but if it’s a fact he’s on the trade block and if he knows he is ….smh ….yeah it ain’t going to end well 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, txsting said:

Not without picks.  Allen's trade value is miles higher.  One example I'll throw out is Bill Simmons NBA trade value rankings - he has Mobley 46 and Allen 45.  Which is above Derrick White, Rudy Gobert, Trae Young, Melo, Siakam, etc.  Hunter isn't listed among the 75 or among the 25 "toughest omissions".  Not happening without +++

I'm just passing along what I've been told by Hawks sources. Hunter is the most sought after player type in the entire NBA - big wing.  Boston just won a title with two  big wings. This is a copy cat league. Okoro has failed to live up to his draft selection to be the Cavs big wing starter. Hunter is coming off his best season by far last year. 

We as Hawks fans are down on Hunter because we gave up so much to draft him at #4 a few years back. Cleveland DGAF about that. They see a starting big wing on a reasonable contract (yes, his deal is reasonable, look at the money lesser guys are getting now) that just saw his team use the #1 pick in the draft to replace him as a starter.

There's less teams that want a traditional big that most fans think. Go ask @KB21 for his thesis argument on why the traditional big is a dinosaur. I don't agree with it but Cleveland wants to move Allen. Under the current CBA you can't just hand out huge deals to players even on your own team as free agents. Moving off Allen and giving Mobley a max extension is exactly what Cleveland is planning on doing.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Trae has lost some of his voice in the room and is on the trading block. That's why he hasn't said anything about the draft or the Hawks this summer. 

Just because someone is on the trade block doesn't mean you trade them. Hawks have finally went from "we will never, ever trade Trae Young" to "we might trade him for the right package"

Almost all the Hawks players are on the trading block. There's a reason you are seeing a lot of silence among the Hawks players about the draft and direction of the team. 

Any teams trying to get Trae?

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm just passing along what I've been told by Hawks sources. Hunter is the most sought after player type in the entire NBA - big wing.  Boston just won a title with two  big wings. This is a copy cat league. Okoro has failed to live up to his draft selection to be the Cavs big wing starter. Hunter is coming off his best season by far last year. 

We as Hawks fans are down on Hunter because we gave up so much to draft him at #4 a few years back. Cleveland DGAF about that. They see a starting big wing on a reasonable contract (yes, his deal is reasonable, look at the money lesser guys are getting now) that just saw his team use the #1 pick in the draft to replace him as a starter.

There's less teams that want a traditional big that most fans think. Go ask @KB21 for his thesis argument on why the traditional big is a dinosaur. I don't agree with it but Cleveland wants to move Allen. Under the current CBA you can't just hand out huge deals to players even on your own team as free agents. Moving off Allen and giving Mobley a max extension is exactly what Cleveland is planning on doing.

Allen is on an even better contract, 20MM for each of the next two.  We will see but color me very skeptical.

• Premium Member

Hunter is a solid fit on many teams, including this one.  He's big, long, shot nearly 40% from 3 and a good man defender. Can create his own offense too and his contract isn't bad, especially considering upcoming cap increases.  He's not a great rebounder and has injury concerns but there is no player who is perfect that is also available without having to give up the moon.

I'd almost rather keep him and have really good wing depth.

Allen, while better than Capela, clogs the paint and continues the cycle of not having a floor spacer at C which is going to hurt Trae's production.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GameTime said:

If we tank and gift SA a dynasty like BK did Boston.....

giphy.gif

Some should create a thread about potentially losing Trae.

i mean if it’s true Trae is on he trade block , and the FO decides to try to keep winning instead of tanking, no one can actually believe Trae is not going to retaliate next off season.

we have a bad FO that doesn’t think things through. I’m expecting a meltdown at some point this offseason honestly.

27 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Man, I was hoping Risacher was gonna be the 2.. His length wont be an advantage at the 3...... Don't tell me this.... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

Can you imagine the size, length, defense on this lineup around trae?

Trae-Risacher-JJ-Herb Jones-Jarett Allen...

I'm drooling over this lineup

Risacher at the 2 .

I like......😀

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Also we didn't have JJ that can take advantage of the double.  Even what I've seen from Risacher, he seems to have great instincts on when and how to attack

Agree.  JJ as a playmaker is a huge step up from JC and Hunter so there is more relief on that at more positions with him on the floor.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

One thing Landry keeps mentioning is getting versatile defenders who can switch.  That's music to my ears.  

I think it is one thing to say that and another to implement.  I still think the Hawks are in desperate need of a good POA defender who can switch 1-3.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

While I agree JC/Capela injuries played a role, I think it's a bit overstated.  IMO he still would have had a horrid series even with them healthy.  Maybe less bad but Trae couldn't escape at all.  After game 2 he was playing scared and he didn't even want the ball.  I've never seen him lose confidence like that regardless of who he was playing with.  

Trae was so unbelievably bad in that series, he averaged 15, 5 and 6 on 31% FG, 18% 3PT, and 6.2 turnovers.  JC and CC didn't make that big a difference IMO.

Trae's whole season was built around running the pick and roll.  We had no one to do that with JC's finger injury and CC being out.  That is huge.  The reason he played scared was he was getting double and triple teamed and Miami was largely leaving our entire frontcourt unguarded and no one other than Hunter could punish them (and Hunter couldn't do it at a high enough volume).  He didn't have JC or CC to rim run. He didn't have JC to stretch the floor.  Huerter and Bogi couldn't get separation from the tight coverage they saw to spread the floor.  (Huerter's 36%/29% shooting was similarly bad to Trae's but he didn't take as many shots to try to bail the team out of bad possessions.)  There was nothing for Trae to do with the action that Nate ran.  Trae doesn't have the physical tools to go one on two or one on three and win at any kind of useful rate (few players do).  Those frontcourt injuries were the single biggest reason why Miami could double and triple team Trae without punishment and the lack of their rim running completely took away the core of our offense.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Sothron said:

When you saw on the trading block do you mean the team intends to trade them (i.e., they want to find and execute the deal) or that they are no longer refusing to consider when people call?   There is a big difference to me between those.

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Synder committed to a rebuild is starting to look like a possibility.

my speculation of course.

I know others aren't, but I'm fine with it..

I'm more excited to watch Summer League than I was to watch the Hawks at any point last season.....:sad:

Wouldn't mind keeping Trae JJ Risacher Gueye Kobe..

But everyone else can go..

Trae too if the right deal came along, but I doubt they could get value...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

The Trae news is on schedule for a player of his caliber with a max contract on a team that is struggling to win consistently. I am not surprised nor do I take anything personal by it.

Our situation moving forward isn’t impossible, but it is extremely challenging. I understand being open to all scenarios.

Regarding Hunter, his natural tendency to dribble instead of attack is not a fit for Quinn’s offense. He may be the prototypical 3D archetype, but our best team success has always come with him out of the lineup or more recently with him off the bench. We have to pay attention more to that than just wanting to have a “big wing”.

Other teams can value him, so we should sell high for a change. What we have to stop doing is letting other people’s opinions of our players determine whether we keep them around or not. “Teams value him so he must be good, let’s not lose him.” Then these guys stay until their value tanks and we sell for pennies.

Time to make the tough decisions and commit to a vision.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

When you saw on the trading block do you mean the team intends to trade them (i.e., they want to find and execute the deal) or that they are no longer refusing to consider when people call?   There is a big difference to me between those.

Yeah

I'm of the mindset that if you put Trae on the trade block(the real one), you can't ever take him back off. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

They aren't looking to trade him. But if a team gives them the right offer...I think they would move him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

They aren't looking to trade him. But if a team gives them the right offer...I think they would move him. 

That is very different from actively shopping him, and I would push back on any reports saying the Hawks are planning or trying to trade him if that is the case.

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

Yeah

I'm of the mindset that if you put Trae on the trade block(the real one), you can't ever take him back off. 

That is how I view it as well.  If you reach the point where you are actively looking to deal him, you have crossed the Rubicon.  That would be very different than recognizing a player is available if the right offer comes.  That is true of almost anyone in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2