• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That was on the Resslers and Trae. Not Landry but he didn't reject it either so he's not without blame

I haven't made this point yet, but I want to. 

If Landry at any point was nothing but a figurehead GM....that's still bad. 

(I understand thats basically what youre saying too. But it needs to be said plainly for some)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Afro said:

Yeah the negativity angle is so overblown. The positive angle HAS to see Dyson turn from a 64% FT shooter into a good 3pt shooter. Thats dubious at best. 

IF he cant shoot.....You'll have 2 meh shooters and 1 terrible shooter in the starting lineup(JJ,OO, Dyson). That doesnt work. It's also not great if you move those around to the bench either, as I already mentioned. Then you have Bogi and hope? for backup offense. 

The other positive angle requires a team with 2 superstars to fall out of the playoffs. Also dubious at best. 

Yall can call people negative, but youre banking on A WHOLE LOT. 

Stop making sense. It’s not right. You and @AHF are on point. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

I haven't made this point yet, but I want to. 

If Landry at any point was nothing but a figurehead GM....that's still bad. 

(I understand thats basically what youre saying too. But it needs to be said plainly for some)

Landry been a real GM since he's been officially in the role and i liked every single move. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I am low key depressed right now. I don’t have any confidence in the direction of this team. If we don’t build a better team than last year around Trae, I cannot blame him for looking elsewhere. I will have to find a new source of entertainment if that happens. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Landry been a real GM since he's been officially in the role and i liked every single move. 

Every single one is a bit much lol. Even for the staunchest of supporters. 

Just now, MarylandHawk said:

I am low key depressed right now. I don’t have any confidence in the direction of this team. If we don’t build a better team than last year around Trae, I cannot blame him for looking elsewhere. I will have to find a new source of entertainment if that happens. 

We got much closer to that after this trade. I have yet to see anyone refute that. 

Now if reports are true, he doesn't really have the "look around" value. But still lol. 

22 minutes ago, Afro said:

That's fine in a vacuum, but I don't love not getting another piece for him. This team is still missing starter level guys or high level backups if certain guys get thrust into starting. Going into the season by swapping out DJM for a rookie, Dyson, and Lance isnt nearly enough to me. 

That defense is better, but I'm not really sure I see the leap from that group that *should* have been possible this offseason. 

That's my issue as well. We can't just assume that Risacher is going to come in averaging 19 a night riding shotgun with Trae (no way you put a #1 pick on the bench unless you're contending) or Jalen Johnson is going to now hang 24/11 while playing 77 games. They need some more firepower, especially in the frontcourt...

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Trae isn’t getting traded, and he will get a much better haul than Murray because he’s an elite shot creator.  

What we got offered at the deadline for Murray was trash.  

https://thebirdwrites.com/2-years-in-dyson-daniels-is-defined-by-his-defense/

Daniels is an elite POA defender.  

He is so good you can’t even see him in the playoffs.  Almost like his team thought “we are playing an opponent with a bunch of big guards and wings — you know who we don’t need against that?”

Seriously, he will be a nice upgrade on Wesley Matthews.  My prediction - he will never become a starter in Atlanta.  Same for Nance.  Odds are the same for our picks (most mid teen and mid 20 picks don’t become starters for the team that drafts them).  Would have been nice to get someone who was our #4 best player next year for DJM.  Didn’t expect a star.  Expected a good starter.

But don’t worry.  We got under the tax line so that is squared away right away.  Whew.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He is so good you can’t even see him in the playoffs.  Almost like his team thought “we are playing an opponent with a bunch of big guards and wings — you know who we don’t need against that?”

Seriously, he will be a nice upgrade on Wesley Matthews.  My prediction - he will never become a starter in Atlanta.  Same for Nance.  Odds are the same for our picks (most mid teen and mid 20 picks don’t become starters for the team that drafts them).  Would have been nice to get someone who was our #4 best player next year for DJM.  Didn’t expect a star.  Expected a good starter.

But don’t worry.  We got under the tax line so that is squared away right away.  Whew.

I'm not disagreeing but NO was loaded at wing.  Daniels wasn't going to play over Herb, BI, Zion, CJ or Trey Murphy.  He's only 20 years old.  If he improves his 3pt% by a few points he will be an elite role player.  I don't think it's that tall an ask, if he is willing to work for it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You can blame Nick Ressler and Trae for the DJM trade that led to Travis being fired. That was on them not Landry.

When Landry gets to make moves I've liked what he's done. You guys are far too negative on him. If you guys want to blast Tony Ressler ...please go off. I will stand back and applaud.

For positives look at our team now. We have plenty of good defenders to surround Trae...who had BY FAR his best defensive season last year.

Yes, there's some worry about the shooting. No doubt. Trae's gravity and his best in class passing will help those guys get wide open shots. I'm not that worried about it. A LITTLE worried, sure. But not that worried.

We could definitely use an upgrade at center though.

To me this is still just a distinction without a difference. 

The only way any of this matters is from a personal level. The only way Landrys performance matters in a vacuum is on another team. 

He will never be separated from Nick and Tony while hes here. It doesnt matter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Maybe that's why they lost in the playoffs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

I'm not disagreeing but NO was loaded at wing.  Daniels wasn't going to play over Herb, BI, Zion, CJ or Trey Murphy.  He's only 20 years old.  If he improves his 3pt% by a few points he will be an elite role player.  I don't think it's that tall an ask, if he is willing to work for it.

By god thats Hawkins music.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Afro said:

To me this is still just a distinction without a difference. 

The only way any of this matters is from a personal level. The only way Landrys performance matters in a vacuum is on another team. 

He will never be separated from Nick and Tony while hes here. It doesnt matter. 

I hate to say this but NO ONE can be separated if Tony Ressler goes back to his interfering and cheap ways. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You can blame Nick Ressler and Trae for the DJM trade that led to Travis being fired. That was on them not Landry.

When Landry gets to make moves I've liked what he's done. You guys are far too negative on him. If you guys want to blast Tony Ressler ...please go off. I will stand back and applaud.

For positives look at our team now. We have plenty of good defenders to surround Trae...who had BY FAR his best defensive season last year.

Yes, there's some worry about the shooting. No doubt. Trae's gravity and his best in class passing will help those guys get wide open shots. I'm not that worried about it. A LITTLE worried, sure. But not that worried.

We could definitely use an upgrade at center though.

Thank you. Just to echo what some others have said, I think a lot of us are just nervous about what Trae's thinking. I like that we are more set to move on without him with the LAL 2025 pick if it comes to it and that we got young talent that does fit him back. Just wondering if it's enough for now. I know we aren't going from play-in to contender in an off-season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I hate to say this but NO ONE can be separated if Tony Ressler goes back to his interfering and cheap ways. 

Oh you are 100% right. But that's still why it doesnt matter lol. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, h4wkfan said:

We got back similar to equal value to what we gave. I think some of you all are delusional based on the knicks going loco. 

Landry seems to have a vision … Tall defenders, low use on offense, hit 3s for the most part (cmon Dyson!) surrounding Trae. I’m good with it. Looking forward to seeing how he fills out the rest of the roster. 

Getting a starter quality player is loco?  You guys set your sights too low sometimes.  If the Hawks could get players like DJM who fit a desperate need on the roster and give up the Sacramento pick, two guys off our bench one in his 30s and the other not good enough to play in the playoffs, and next year’s first round pick when we are projected to be in the playoffs then I would be thrilled.  

This trade only makes us better because when Landry pushed for the DJM trade he created a huge problem starting two PGs next to one another and then last year he left us with only one wing defender and one power forward.  Uncoupling Trae and DJM helps us and having an actual backup wing defender and power forward helps us.  But every team should have a competent backup wing defender and PF and no team should start two PGs next to one another.  We are fixing the remedial level problems that Fields created on this roster with our only big value chip.  Nobody wins rings doing that kind of paint by numbers stuff.  We keep getting bent over in these trades.  No one is going to give us fair value going forward.  No one.  Everyone knows you can rob us blind by giving us the stuff you do t care about to get our pieces.  Do you have a PF entering his age 32 season whose salary you want to clear?  Do you have a wing you don’t even bother to play against a team where POA defense is absolutely critical?  Sounds good to us.  We don’t even have backups so that makes us better and if all we have to do is give you our best trade chip then sign us up!

• Thanks 2