• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

6 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

It’s still unprotected. We are getting a 2027 pick. There is just as much upside to that pick as the 2027 hawks pick. Honestly with the bucks aging and Zion being Zion. Both have probably higher upside than ours (assuming Trae stays).

This goes back to the Trae discussions. If you trade a very good player to a team, you absolutely cannot expect them to suck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Probably needed more of the 4.4 PER and negative WS and BPM production be delivered when he was on the floor.  Another 60 minutes of that would have really changed the outcome of the series.

Mods-I would like to report a mental health abuse.

• Premium Member
Just now, Afro said:

Daniels shot 64% FT. Y'all gotta stop acting like it's only 3s he sucks at. Dude cannot shoot right now. At all. 

He only shot like 0.9 FTs per game though.  That's not really a good judgement, too small a sample size.  I was a 93% FT shooter in high school, but once I went to college and played intramurals I rarely went to the line I started missing a lot more.  He shot 75% in gleague 2 years ago.  He's already a 31% 3pt shooter at the age of 20. Look how much so many players have improved their shooting over the years (including JJ and OO on our team, look at Herb Jones improvement).  It's much easier to improve your jumpshot than to become an elite defender.

Bad defenders don't become great defenders, basically ever.  But many players improve their jumper over the years.  If Daniels is willing to work for it he can become a respectable shooter and he can be in the conversation for all-defense.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

This just confirms how bad Fields is a deal making.  He got Ressler to override Schlenk to make the DJM deal and lost that end of it.  Now he goes full circle by losing the trade of DJM to NO.  He couldn’t leverage the 1 pick even when Washington was desperate for Sarr.  He traded Huerter for a pick with so many protections that we still haven’t seen any return years later and might not even get a first.  Gave away Collins for garbage and left $10M in money under the tax line unused to leave massive holes on the roster last year.  

We are a badly mismanaged organization right now.  

It's as if we're watching a movie where Fredo Corleone (Mr. Ressling II) and Tommy Boy (Laundry) gets together to run their company into the ground, while their loyal customers (us) look on in shock and rivals laugh their asses off.

While I was just joking about wanting one of these guys to dabble into real estate in order to get a shot at fleecing them, other GMs are doing it to their roster in real time. As Sturt said earlier this week, watching them get beat every year at the negotiating table and end up giving away players for torn up Uno cards has become an annual tradition like no other...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

He only shot like 0.9 FTs per game though.  That's not really a good judgement, too small a sample size.  I was a 93% FT shooter in high school, but once I went to college and played intramurals I rarely went to the line I started missing a lot more.  He shot 75% in gleague 2 years ago.  He's already a 31% 3pt shooter at the age of 20. Look how much so many players have improved their shooting over the years (including JJ and OO on our team, look at Herb Jones improvement).  It's much easier to improve your jumpshot than to become an elite defender.

Bad defenders don't become great defenders, basically ever.  But many players improve their jumper over the years.  If Daniels is willing to work for it he can become a respectable shooter and he can be in the conversation for all-defense.

Boyyyyy don't try to sneak that shit in by me lol. 

So .9 FTPG doesnt count but 1.4 does????

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is absolutely not as much upside to our 2027 pick as the one we just got.  Getting the worst of two teams picks is really bad especially when both have paths to be contenders.  One has an MVP talent already and the other has a young core that was good enough to make the playoffs without a PG that will all be in their prime in 2 years.  Young is an UFA who can leave the team with nothing in 2027 which makes us a team with an obvious path to bottom of the league status.  There is no way the Spurs would consider trading our pick for that Worst Of selection in a million years.

Bucks: Dame will be 36. Lopez, Portos and Middleton contracts expire. Giannis has missed an average ~20 games / year the last 5 years. They have 1 pick in the next 3 years. Do you think their future looks that bright in 3 seasons?? Giannis is probably asking out if they flop again next year. 

New Orleans: they have nice pieces. McCollum will be gone. Ingram likely gone.  Herb is a roll player. Murray has never lead a team to the playoffs. Zion finally played 1 full season in 5 years. How likely do you think that continues? Murphy is a great piece but another roll player. He’s not the guy.  

Atlanta all depends on Trae.  

you are correct in that i should not have said their picks have more upside. Though I think the reality of it is these are 3 gambles that are very likely to go either way. I would’ve rather had the best of the 2 or just picked one. I think we came up with a little missed value on this trade.  Is what it is. 

I guess I’m biased that I think Trae stays too. 

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 2

Alternatively and more realistically:

Daniels probably never develops a shot so his impact is limited, Lebron and AD lead the Lakers to the playoffs and we end up with a pick in the 20’s. And the ‘27 pick worst of NOP and MLK also ends up in the 20’s.

Trae never gets the help he needs and demands out.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I will say what myself @NBASupes @thecampster and @Mikey have been saying:

The hardest player to get in the NBA is a big wing. When you get excellent POA defenders like Dyson Daniels on a rookie contract...that's real, tangible value. The Lakers pick is UNPROTECTED for 2025. What if the injuries happen and that pick goes in the lottery? What if we possibly land Cooper Flagg or one of the other top prospects next year?

All of that is possible now. 

We were never going to get the package the Nets got. The Knicks lost their ****ing minds to give up what they gave up for him. This was the best trade we could get. 

this.gif

Boston has shown what a POA defender can contribute in the playoffs. We have a promising young POA defender on a rookie contract, and a staff adept at player development. With two draft picks, one of which is unprotected, there's potential for a trade, possibly for a center or another position.

What more could we acquire? I'm pondering additional possibilities... Draft picks are an option (the Knicks utilized their capital effectively), and further roster moves are conceivable. This roster is not yet in its final form. If Trae is dissatisfied, he has the option to request a trade. It's important to remember that Quin had to approve these decisions, and I trust his judgment in these matters.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Afro said:

Boyyyyy don't try to sneak that shit in by me lol. 

So .9 FTPG doesnt count but 1.4 does????

Haha, fair enough.  I'm just not taking a super small sample size to judge.  It's not like he's shooting 64% on 6 FTA's per game.  

I hated on Daniels too until now, but I didn't realize how good he was defensively.  After reading about how elite he is, i don't think improving that 3pt% at age 20 is that tall an ask.  I think he can do it, and Quin is the perfect coach for it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The Landry apologists have got to start being honest about this franchise and admit, we are equally invested in saving money as we are “adding pieces that fit” around Trae Young.

Call me a cynic, but IMHO, Mr. Ressling I and II are merely hanging on until Centennial Yards is fully built out and completed. Then, let the sale to the highest bidder begin...

Just now, Sothron said:

They didn't want to include him. They would have meant another roster spot. I've been told to hold off on judging the offseason until they finish making their moves from a Hawks source.

Oh I didn't mean in addition. Just instead. 

If we are 7.6 mill under the tax after the deal, that 7.6 would have been the difference in swapping him for Nance.

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Haha, fair enough.  I'm just not taking a super small sample size to judge.  It's not like he's shooting 64% on 6 FTA's per game.  

I hated on Daniels too until now, but I didn't realize how good he was defensively.  After reading about how elite he is, i don't think improving that 3pt% at age 20 is that tall an ask.  I think he can do it, and Quin is the perfect coach for it.  

Oh I'm not saying I think he can't. Just that I don't really think its fair to judge this deal with that already baked in. There is equally if not more of a chance he cant shoot. 

Then you just traded for Andre Robinson with handles as the best current player in a deal. 

Edited by Afro

9 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The red flag here is NO had a very good shooting coach and yet Daniel’s 3pt and FT percentages declined from his rookie year to his second year despite a slight uptick in playing time and volume. 

• Sad 1

The likelihood of Daniels developing a 3 like DJM is very low, or it will take a couple of seasons like Derrick Jones on the Mavs. DJM was already a 79%FT shooter last 3 seasons in SA so there was potential. The trade is whatever but they could have at least gotten 1 more pick. A protected pick from the pels or something.

Dyson could barely get minutes in the playoffs because his offense was just so bad. And they benched him in the last game

Trade is not good value wise when you here everyone saying DJ has more value than Trae. Then was all that a lie?

Edited by ShayD

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Never mind.

We used the JC TPE to take Nance and Dyson. So $6 mil left 

We now have a brand new DJ TPE worth $18.2 million. What to do, what to do, what to do?

Alright, I'll give Landry/Resslers credit for that. 

I would have never bet they would use the JC TPE. .

ETA: I guess that 1.6 million difference would have meant a Hawkins for Nance swap would have left them in the tax. I still don't care lol. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1