• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He’s a terrible fit for Quin and alongside Trae.  He’s a taller Murray, and Murray’s size wasn’t the issue on offense. His desire to slow the offense and isolate so he could get to his mid-range game was the issue.  Ingram does the same thing.  

With the one addition in bold, I agree with this, KB.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, AtlHomer said:

There are also a couple of young free agent centers that could benefit from a change of scenery.   How about Isaiah Hartenstein from the Knicks or James Wiseman from the Pistons?  Hartenstein looked pretty good at the end of the season and going into the playoffs.  He is a defensive minded player. 

Many on this site wanted to take a flyer on Wiseman a few years ago.  You can't teach length.  Maybe the Quinn system could help him to finally realize his potential.

In both cases, playing with a PG like Trae could energize them.

Re-posting given the conversation is about potential free agent center candidates.   Both should not be 'budget busters' but could either help improve our team?

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

State of the Hawks Post Draft.

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Hawks

Offseason transactions: Zaccharie Risacher (first round), Dyson Daniels (trade), Larry Nance Jr. (trade), E.J. Liddell (trade)

Offseason priority: The Dejounte Murray trade to New Orleans now clears a path to extend Jalen Johnson.

The forward averaged career highs in points (16.1) and 3-point percentage (35.3%). Overall, Johnson has increased his scoring average from 5.6 last season to 16.1 this season. That is the second-largest increase among players to play at least 50 games in both seasons, trailing Cam Thomas. Johnson ranked in the bottom-10 in field goal percentage on all jumpers last season but saw an increase this year, going from 29% to 39%.

Since Landry Fields joined the front office in October 2020, Atlanta has signed a player to a rookie extension in each of the past three offseasons (Trae YoungKevin HuerterDe'Andre Hunter and Onyeka Okongwu). Young is eligible to sign a three-year, $157 million extension up until Oct. 21.

More offseason priorities:

• The price point on a new contract for Saddiq Bey

• The Johnson rookie extension

Team needs:

• Rim-protector and defensive depth on the perimeter

• Playmaker who can create shots for others

• Shooting off the bench

• Improved availability from the rotation forwards (Hunter, Bey, Johnson)

• Forward depth

Future draft assets rating: 6 out of 10

Atlanta received two first-round picks as part of the Murray trade, including the Lakers unprotected first in 2025. They also receive the least favorable 2027 first of New Orleans or Milwaukee. The Hawks will send their 2025 and 2027 picks to San Antonio as part of the trade that brought Murray to Atlanta in 2022. San Antonio also has the right to swap firsts in 2026. The first allowable year the Hawks can trade a first is 2029. Atlanta has six second-round picks available.

Cash: $7.3 million (to send) | $7.3 million (to receive)

Cap space breakdown: Atlanta has $166 million in salary and are $5.5 million below the luxury tax. They are also $9.5 million below the first apron.

Available exceptions: $12.9 million non tax mid-level, $4.7 million biannual, veteran minimum and trade ($23, $3.7, $2.6 and $2.3 million).

CBA impact: Because Atlanta sent cash to Miami, they are now hard capped at the $189.5 million second apron. They are $20.3 million below the threshold.

Projected Depth Chart - Atlanta

PG SG SF PF C
N: Non-guaranteed; T: Team option
T. Young D. Daniels D. Hunter J. Johnson C. Capela
L. Nance G. MathewsT Z. Risacher EJ Liddell O. Okongwu
K. Bufkin   B. Bogdanovic M. Gueye B. FernandoN

Extension eligible: Young, Johnson and Clint Capela (as of July 6); Wesley Matthews; Fernando (as of Oct. 2)

Free agent status

• Saddiq Bey | Bird | Restricted free agent

• Garrison Mathews | Bird | Team option

• Wesley Matthews | Non-Bird | Unrestricted free agent

• Trent Forrest | Early Bird | UFA

• Vit Krejci | Non-Bird | RFA

• Seth Lundy | Non-Bird | RFA

• Dylan Windler | Non-Bird | UFA

ESPN +

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40286276/nba-free-agency-2024-priorities-player-needs-30-teams-draft-outlook

Bogi didn't really play any SF minutes.. Not sure where in the world they get that... Even in the Vit lineup he played SG (6-5 220) and Vit (6-8 195) played SF

image.thumb.png.66634f5d7d98e02ec94b67d13cd66685.png

Edited by theheroatl

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Getting the Lakers’ 25 pick is a big deal.  It’s a lock to be in the mid teens if not straight lottery.  The Hawks may very well be in a position to add two tier three type players in the 25 draft, which is what they essentially had to choose from with the #1 pick this year.  The third tier of prospects in 25 may have as many as 10-12 players in it.  

Absolutely.. Some would say it is much better than our own pick if we had it.

Under Reddick, it could be a disaster. (Rebuilding year)

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

So....

I have to say something..

Hawksquawk is one of the more active team boards around the league... whenever I search through non-realgm boards for activity for other teams I usually am surprised how little and active those fanbases are on forums.

Congrats squawkers! We are big time

Yeah, there are a few more decent ones.  CLE, HOU, BOS, POR are a few that pop to mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Getting the Lakers’ 25 pick is a big deal.  It’s a lock to be in the mid teens if not straight lottery.  The Hawks may very well be in a position to add two tier three type players in the 25 draft, which is what they essentially had to choose from with the #1 pick this year.  The third tier of prospects in 25 may have as many as 10-12 players in it.  

Agreed.  I've seen several folks claim that pick is likely to be in the 20s.  Really?  What makes anyone think the Lakers are a guaranteed playoff team next year.  At least wait til they set their roster before making that claim.  

And even IF they are a playoff team, the pick still conveys.  In a reportedly deep draft, it's likely to yield a quality player.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Indeed — Many folks on here have referenced the ‘25 LAL pick as an enticing asset.  Now, we have it.  Had I never convinced myself Herb Jones was an option, I would have embraced this trade more quickly.  Depending on follow-up moves, the trade is solid.  

Cheers to everyone for a year where LeBron and AD feel like riding the pine.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Agreed.  I've seen several folks claim that pick is likely to be in the 20s.  Really?  What makes anyone think the Lakers are a guaranteed playoff team next year.  At least wait til they set their roster before making that claim.  

And even IF they are a playoff team, the pick still conveys.  In a reportedly deep draft, it's likely to yield a quality player.  

They are also a second apron team, so they are very limited with what they can do to add to the team.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Indeed — Many folks on here have referenced the ‘25 LAL pick as an enticing asset.  Now, we have it.  Had I never convinced myself Herb Jones was an option, I would have embraced this trade more quickly.  Depending on follow-up moves, the trade is solid.  

Cheers to everyone for a year where LeBron and AD feel like riding the pine.

I tried to tell y’all that Jones wasn’t an option.  That archetype on that contract!   They were never trading him.  

44 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree preserving the TPE is smart.  I don't understand under what scenario we could have used the TPE to get someone that we could not acquire in a straight trade that you think we would have put ourselves in 2nd apron penalties last season.  My explanation for saying we did not use the JC TPE comes down to the idea that we were sold the TPE was the real vehicle for adding value to the basketball side of things when we got nothing from the JC trade.  We in fact added nothing and ran with major holes on our roster instead.  That is not using the TPE for anything basketball related.

We obviously did not preserve the entire TPE but preserving a chunk of it is better than nothing.  But in light of our inactivity last year it invites the question of my mind as to whether you think we will actually use it for anything other than creating new TPEs this year.  I am highly skeptical that will happen.

We started this offseason with our payroll right at the second apron. Using another $20M in the way you are suggesting would put us at $195M as our starting place instead.  Would likely have only been able to absorb an unwanted overpaid player if we used it last year.  

I think it’s a mistake to view this TPE as only being valuable if we add salary. You use it if it makes sense to use it in a deal.  Adding another $20M player to skyrocket our payroll beyond the 2nd apron would be bad.  Using a $20M TPE on a one year contract was the only other option.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

There is also some chatter about Sacramento making a deal for Lauri, but to do it, they would have to remove the protections on the Hawks pick so they can deal firsts in 27,29, and 31.  

We should also be able to squeeze a small asset (a couple 2nds or 3) from them for our trouble. They have the PTL 2025 2ND.