• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I think Moritz Wagner is becoming a FA as well, that is a true stretch 5 that would be a good fit here

Looks like they're declining his team option to open up more cap room and then plan to resign him after making another signing

Let's let Trae cook on offense and do his thing there. Load up on defense otherwise. I think JJ can jump to 20+ PPG easily. 

I like the gamble on Ayton I think. Boom or bust

Allen would make more sense.

OO would play 4 or 5 off the bench depending on matchups

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Priority number one is acquiring players that can contend and justify a tax bill.

The DJM trade tells a different story.  We got two players who we can’t even pretend will ever justify a tax bill.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So draft night was my turn in the barrel, I guess now it's your turn to be bitter.

Tell me that the priority is getting players worth paying the tax over avoiding the tax when the best players from the last 3 trades from Fields have brought in are Justin Holiday, Rudy Gay and Dyson Daniels.  

Amazing how we nail dodging the tax every time but that isn’t a priority just an incidental outcome in our unending quest to trade for franchise level talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

The DJM trade tells a different story.  We got two players who we can’t even pretend will ever justify a tax bill.

We are almost certainly in a soft rebuild, focused on culture and development.

The DJ trade was a decent asset deal, but if you were expecting a DJ/OO/CC/Dre trade to bring back superstar talent, or even all-star talent, I’m afraid your expectations were way too high— we dont have the picks to attach to the level of talent those guys are at (mid) to flip them for significant upgrades.

The good news is our roster fits well now and we are adding lots of hard working guys who can get better to either stick around or consolidate into trades down the road.  Interested to see what we do next but I cant really fathom any DJ trade that would have been both realistic and also brought in a serious upgrade.

And the tax is not relevant to any of the moves we've been making.  I’m not really sure where that sentiment is coming from.  High potential players and development is the clear and obvious emphasis for the front office right now.  You have a very strong bias to view moves through the lens of Resslers wallet that is blinding you to the vision Landry is executing on.

• Like 2

• Moderators

KB is predicting that Hunter leaves in a salary dump.  I’m not that jaded.  But if it happens I will be even more skeptical that basketball moves are a priority over financial ones.  We need Hunter with our current roster.  If he gets traded it better be for value not salary relief.

• Sad 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We are almost certainly in a soft rebuild, focused on culture and development.

The DJ trade was a decent asset deal, but if you were expecting a DJ/OO/CC/Dre trade to bring back superstar talent, or even all-star talent, I’m afraid your expectations were way too high— we dont have the picks to attach to the level of talent those guys are at (mid) to flip them for significant upgrades.

The good news is our roster fits well now and we are adding lots of hard working guys who can get better to either stick around or consolidate into trades down the road.  Interested to see what we do next but I cant really fathom any DJ trade that would have been both realistic and also brought in a serious upgrade.

And the tax is not relevant to any of the moves we've been making.  I’m not really sure where that sentiment is coming from.  High potential players and development is the clear and obvious emphasis for the front office right now.  You have a very strong bias to view moves through the lens of Resslers wallet that is blinding you to the vision Landry is executing on.

I already told you my expectation for DJM.  It was modest.  It was that he would return the 4th best player on next year’s team.  A solid to good starter level player who would help us win games next year in the lead up to the final season before Trae becomes an UFA.  I didn’t expect bench players.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I predicted we would make moves to get under the tax line.  Guess where we are today?  It I suppose that is just a coincidence in your mind?  Please.  I thought we would get back strong value for DJM and we would cut payroll in another trade.  The FO couldn’t wait that long.  Why?  Because it was a priority over current talent.

My view on the best move for this team was to retool not rebuild.

My fear is next year’s team won’t be good enough and Trae will want to leave and we will slip from the soft rebuild you describe to a full on rebuild right as we give away our 2027 first round pick to the Spurs.  That would be dismal.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am being rationale.  The priority is dodging the tax.  That nets Ressler ~$12M plus avoiding the extra salary.  For last year, he ended up with about $30M extra by collecting the non-tax-payer check, spending roughly $10M less than the amount we could have spent up to the tax line, and I’m tacking a modest roughly $8M on for not spending in the tax.  (Obviously most teams do more.). Money is clearly a top priority.  That isn’t irrational for Ressler.  This is a business for him.  He wants to buy low, sell high, and make money or at least lose as little as possible while he does it.  

Every year our payroll has been around the bottom 3rd of the league.  Would it be rational for me to think all of that is a coincidence and the team is all about taking risks to land franchise players?

Who thinks this is a coincidence that the first thing we did this summer was send out our best asset in a trade that brought us back under the tax line?  Anyone?  

It's just an uber-cynical way to view things. Personally, I think multiple things can be true. 

1. Ressler does want to save money. True

2. The FO is trying to build a team that can win. True

3. The Hawks traded DJ and got essentially the same number of assets that they gave up for him. True.

4. The Hawks are better today than they were 2 days ago. True

5. The Hawks aren't done altering the roster this offseason.  Unknown

Carrying on as if the only objective is to shed salary is just very negative and not true, imo. This isn't like the JC salary dump or Huerter trade. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Who thinks this is a coincidence that the first thing we did this summer was send out our best asset in a trade that brought us back under the tax line?  Anyone?  

No coincidence at all. We have done this 3 years in a row now. It’s a patterned behavior that cannot be brushed aside as a coincidence.

The one caveat is that he spent money after every season that our record improved. The moment we started to decline is when you saw us start dodging the tax. So at the very least, we have been consistent in not paying the tax for a team that couldn’t realistically contend.

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Tell me that the priority is getting players worth paying the tax over avoiding the tax when the best players from the last 3 trades from Fields have brought in are Justin Holiday, Rudy Gay and Dyson Daniels.  

Amazing how we nail dodging the tax every time but that isn’t a priority just an incidental outcome in our unending quest to trade for franchise level talent.

Shit ain’t like @AHF not making sense on these post. It really is saddening.

im at the point where I need to see the next major move to determine if I’ll be sticking around or not and I’m one of the most level headed fans this franchise could ever have but I believe if they get this wrong they’ll see numbers drop like crazy. Ain’t no one coming to see Reeces pieces and friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

We did get a starter in the deal.  Dyson Daniels will start and be the best perimeter defender we have had since DeMarre and Thabo.  

Yup excellent pickup ….as long as we don’t trade Trae!

gotta keep that part out there cause I don’t trust this FO.