• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

Just now, Sothron said:

How many times have I said on here that I can't stand Tony Ressler? He never bought the team to be a long term owner. He bought it just to flip it later. We were TWO WINS from the FINALS and he still refused to pay the tax. 

I've been told he knows he has to pay the tax to keep Trae whose worth is higher than the money he would save by not paying the tax. So...we'll see. 

See what I mean @KB21 …..there’s too much legit concern that Trae could be traded.

smh …Tony is worse than the ASG! 

• Premium Member

I feel like the goal this season is to be a lock for a non play-in post season standing. Then you can do a heavy move that puts you over the top. Even at the trade deadline if you have to.

The big risk is that if you are trash to start the season(as we typically have been) you've all but guaranteed Trae to be asking out the following season unless you have a mid-season turn around.

We need depth tremendously

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I agree with this sentiment. I'm tired of the tax discussion. 

The owner being cheap is relevant of course but it shouldn't dominate the conversation, imo, unless we see more JC salary dumps. This wasn't a salary dump. This was trading an ill-fitting player for assets that fit the team. 

The team is unequivocally better today than it was yesterday. I think too many people are missing that point because they can't see past the cheap owner. 

Until and unless they put saving money over making the team better, the whole cheap owner should be a sidebar, imo.

And I say this recognizing that the Hawks had the 23rd highest payroll and 23rd highest win total last year. So there is some correlation between spending and winning. But it's also worth nothing that young cheap teams can also win a lot. See OKC and Orlando. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Based on what I am hearing, Atlanta targeting a center with Capela and Hunter for a salary dump. Atlanta was close on the Grimes deal but Dallas offered picks to land Grimes. 

Would they plan to bring in a vet wing back as well? I'm not a fan of losing Hunter this season unless it's for a good return. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I’ll add that avoiding the tax is an obviously prudent move this season.  There is really no precedent for a play-in team that could not make the playoff springing into the tax the following year.  Not even the deepest pocketed owner would be taking this squad into the tax right now, assuming they have competent strategic ops personnel on their payroll.

Given our current roster, the most likely time we would go into the tax would be when JJs extension kicks in, assuming there is not a blockbuster move made this offseason, which I would deem unlikely.

So it really makes no sense to even be talking about the tax right now with where this team is.  You guys talk about our squad like we’re a top 3 seed.  There is no easy button to spend us to a chip next season.  The pattern of overvaluing players on our team and the team as a whole has led to a lot of unwarranted spillover criticism.

DJM should have been traded for value not salary dumping.  Give up value in another deal to dump salary like CC for Holmes or something.  DJM was the move to chase guys worth paying the tax for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Based on what I am hearing, Atlanta targeting a center with Capela and Hunter for a salary dump. Atlanta was close on the Grimes deal but Dallas offered picks to land Grimes. 

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I doubt it, maybe a fake 2nd back in return

@thecampster indicated teams were interested in Hunter for real value...which is it?. Get value or salary dump?

• Like 1

Just now, aali34 said:

Ugh, is the center they're targeting starting caliber? Losing both guys for only salary relief basically punts the season. 

A prime center with size is their primary target. Capela is the asset they are using but Hunter is the throw in. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Based on what I am hearing, Atlanta targeting a center with Capela and Hunter for a salary dump.

If we dump Hunter you can just give up now on keeping Trae.  We aren’t even trying.  Instead of reloading this team is tearing down and rebuilding?  What a joke.  Ressler and Fields have zero credibility with me if they don’t improve this team over where it is today by the end of the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

DJM should have been traded for value not salary dumping.  Give up value in another deal to dump salary like CC for Holmes or something.  DJM was the move to chase guys worth paying the tax for.

We bought low on Daniels and got picks back in two drafts we wouldn't have picks.  That helps smooth the rookies coming in which means we'll continuously have 3-5 guys on rookie scale deals.  It was a smart move and the type of move we're going to need to keep making if we want to build this team into something more than a perennial 5-10th seed.  Also, if an opportunistic trade for a major upgrade comes along now, we have the picks to make it happen.

• Like 4