• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Moderators
Just now, Sothron said:

More info coming in driblets:

The Hawks did have team trying to trade up including the Spurs but they couldn't agree on terms. Spurs really wanted ZR but not at the cost the Hawks had for the #1. We really want ZR and they think he has true star potential at either the 3 or the 2. 

I'm good with this move.  I think it was smart.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

The Hawks did have team trying to trade up including the Spurs but they couldn't agree on terms. Spurs really wanted ZR but not at the cost the Hawks had for the #1. We really want ZR and they think he has true star potential at either the 3 or the 2. 

It’s great that our FO believes he has star potential. I don’t see it but then again he may have off ball star potential and that’s what we are all missing.

its not like Klay (his comp) is some fantastic dribbler. He just knows how to control the ball and pick his spots.

• Moderators
Just now, JTB said:

Smh OO is not a center!

I thought we were done with this but apparently not. He got bullied so often last season you’d think folks would know he can only be small ball 5 vs specific opponents 

Where have i heard this before.

200.gif?cid=790b7611e989922d81c694df876f

OO has as many problems playing the 4 as the 5.  Yeah he's going to have matchup problems but so does every center.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We picked #1 and #1 picks have a like 80% chance of being a good-to-great player from the past 30 years of drafts.

I'm excited to see how it plays out. I don't think it's the same sort of reach of a Anthony Bennett or a big question mark like Kwame Brown.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

We picked #1 and #1 picks have a like 80% chance of being a good-to-great player from the past 30 years of drafts.

I'm excited to see how it plays out. I don't think it's the same sort of reach of a Anthony Bennett or a big question mark like Kwame Brown.

I also don't think any prospect in this class deserves to get the "benefit" of the historical return on #1 picks.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect that from anyone in this draft.  I do still hope he turns into a good to great player but would have him more in the Paul Pierce / Joe Johnson camp of prospects (guys who were taken lower and ended up breaking out into stardom among the many more wings in that range who didn't).

Just now, AHF said:

I also don't think any prospect in this class deserves to get the "benefit" of the historical return on #1 picks.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect that from anyone in this draft.  I do still hope he turns into a good to great player but would have him more in the Paul Pierce / Joe Johnson camp of prospects (guys who were taken lower and ended up breaking out into stardom among the many more wings in that range who didn't).

TBH, you don't know that.

All these draft classes are judged in hindsight. Just because there are people who think these players suck compared to Wemby, doesn't mean this draft class won't be good.

Judging it before they play any NBA ball is completely ridiculous

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

TBH, you don't know that.

All these draft classes are judged in hindsight. Just because there are people who think these players suck compared to Wemby, doesn't mean this draft class won't be good.

Judging it before they play any NBA ball is completely ridiculous

I do know that right now.  Nobody in this draft was a comparable pre-draft prospect to the types of players who make up that 80% statistic.  Those guys are Wemby, Hakeem, David Robinson, Shaq, Iverson, etc.  There are some busts like Greg Oden among that larger group but lots of clear franchise players.  

I am not predicting any specific outcome for any player and guys like Jokic, Nash, Kobe, Giannis, etc. become MVPs from outside of the top of the draft but the #1 pick hit rate is precisely because of the quality of prospect and no one from this class is that level of prospect.

Do you see the difference between Jokic and Hakeem?  One was a super elite prospect and the other was not highly regarded.  Players from both camps bust and become stars but the hit rates are dramatically different.  Again, stars emerge from both camps but the 80% number you cited only has significance because of the pedigree of prospects that make up that pool of #1 players.  Nobody from this draft has that kind of pedigree and so I don't find the 80% number to be a significant one in predicting Risacher's career.

The average #1 pick finishes their career with almost 70 Win Shares and 4 All-Star game appearances.  I do not find those averages to be useful in terms of predicting Risacher's career for the same reasons.  His prospect status isn't comparable to the average #1 pick.  (Which doesn't mean he can't be a star - Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick and will finish his career with more than 120 Win Shares and 6 All-Star appearances.)

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Afro said:

Just get Kessler. This aint too hard lol. 

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

Ainge is too hard.

…..no homo. 

can we still say that and not get canceled??

What was Ainge's asking price for Kessler when the rumor's started?

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What was Ainge's asking price for Kessler when the rumor's started?

Not sure but as hawk fans we all know Ainge is ridiculous to work with. I seriously doubt we win any trade dealing with Ainge.

i prefer we just keep CC rather work with Ainge

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here's a name that would be cheaper than Ayton.

The Detroit Pistons have renounced the rights to former top-3 pick James Wiseman, making him an unrestricted free agent at 23 years old. Despite a potential return, it appears unlikely as Detroit aims to clear cap space and views Wiseman as a buy-low option in the veteran's minimum market.

Start OO, have Wiseman as the backup.  Hawks get there 7 footer.

• Like 2