• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Im surprised Capela has much value on the market to be honest.  Hes sadly regressed a ton since our ECF run.  Hopefully a team really needs a paint protecting center.

Hunter is such a wild card to me in terms of value— he is a desired archetype, but he also has not had much impact on winning.  Then he seemed to look better for parts of last year… but his contract aint great… no idea what to expect for him.

An expiring, useful for some minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Who's the first free agent to sign at midnight?  Or is that still a thing?  I forget. 

It’s not midnight I think it’s 6 pm or something tomorrow

I have no clue what Landry and crew will do but I hope it’s more defensive upgrades.

I think trades won’t happen until teams have clarity from their big free agents like Mitchell and Paul George

I think both re-sign with their teams

Edited by theheroatl

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Tell me that the priority is getting players worth paying the tax over avoiding the tax when the best players from the last 3 trades from Fields have brought in are Justin Holiday, Rudy Gay and Dyson Daniels.  

Amazing how we nail dodging the tax every time but that isn’t a priority just an incidental outcome in our unending quest to trade for franchise level talent.

I mean fuckit , really guys we need to atleast just go in on koonin who comes out and always says oh yes we're going into the tax to build.the team beens saying this for years publicly, it's.just straight bullshit and then when ppl call him on it he gets super defensive.  We know what ressler is, but we can at least kick his lap dog across the room 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

A lot of bad offensive decisions helping lead to his kills in this highlight package, appreciate you posting it nonetheless.  He does make a lot of those plays versus starters.

His swipes are super quick, sneaky, and accurate though. Reminiscent of the heat last year in the playoffs where they swiped at everything.  Footwork, showing of his arms, and hip fluidity all contributing to great hustle slide, halo stance, and turn & run techniques.  I definitely see some Thabo-level anticipation.

I didn’t need to see any film tho.  His 110 defensive rating and 2.5 D-box from this past season instantly got my stamp.  If Dre had a motor and a mouth and is actually still here I’d say they could form a great tandem.  If “if” was a fifth.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, ShayD said:

Imagine Hunter on this deal. He would have been seen in a different light. Big wings are important. Do not dump him for nothing

That does seem to be a pretty good comp to Hunter.  Both defense-first big wings with strong draft pedigrees who seem to disappear on offense far too much and miss a lot of games (both average 53 games played per season for their careers).  So if this is the current market for this type of player, then it seems like Hunter is overpaid by about $5M per season, which feels about right.  But as you point out, it's an important archetype to have, so I'd have a hard time accepting a straight salary dump for him.  

Capela and OO works as well for Ayton. 

I wonder what people think, do you prefer a team without Hunter or OO? Personally I would prefer without OO, I think Hunter is more needed and OO is easy to replace.

The other way to look at this is if some additional asset from Portland could be coming this way as Thybulle or Sharpe, that also works. I even wonder if they could include Advija and when they can include him.

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks are going to be switching 2-5 a lot going forward, and Hunter really isn’t a switchable defender.  Long-term, they will really lean on Daniels, Risacher, and Krejci at the 2-3 spots as those guys can switch defensively.  

Kobe Bufkin is also a switchable defender, and it will be interesting to see him play with other defenders on the court.  

Having the improved ball containment on the perimeter is going to really allow Okongwu’s defensive game to shine as well. 

How do we know this is the defensive game plan going forward when we were very close to selecting Clingan???

This doesn’t make a lot sense @KB21

i don’t mind the switching defense if that’s truly the plan but we better get another center with some size because a switching defense can get beat up in lane.

Squawk:  Trae and Murray can't co-exist.  Hawks need size.  Hawks gave the Spurs great draft picks.

Hawks trade Murray for a 6'7" defensive guru, who is 21 years old.  They also get a couple more players and two draft picks.

Squawk:  Daniels, who instantly became our best defensive player, is too young to start, as is our #1 draft pick.  Those two draft picks are mostly useless.

Squawk:  Hawks owner has hired one of the best head coaches in the NBA, but they are unwilling to go wild and go over the high tax apron just so they can say that they did with a sub-500 team.

:ahf:

• Like 3