• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, KB21 said:

While they have not outright said it, it’s pretty obvious when you look at the players they brought in and listen to Landry talk about them.  Landry specifically mentions Risacher’s and Djurisic’s versatile defense and ability to switch multiple times.  They aren’t getting these versatile defenders to play drop coverage.  What we saw from Quin last season with all the hedging and blitzing was a small preview of where I think he wants to take his defensive scheme.  My prediction is we will be a lot more similar to what Boston is today defensively and what Atlanta was defensively under Bud with Al Horford at center than what Utah was defensively with Rudy Gobert.  Considering that they turned down a deal with SA that would have netted them Clingan and the fact that Clingan was not in the final two for the first pick, I don’t know that we were ever really close to drafting him.  A big part of that may be that Quin wants to be a lot more versatile on defense.  

I disagree.   This team will be garbage and won't win 30 games.   Nothing more than salary dump with Murray, they got talent and we got their garbage.   I know for a fact ressler already bitching about #1 pick salary.  Front office is way below par.  It's a clown show.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I disagree.   This team will be garbage and won't win 30 games.   Nothing more than salary dump with Murray, they got talent and we got their garbage.   I know for a fact ressler already bitching about #1 pick salary.  Front office is way below par.  It's a clown show.  

Hawks were never good with just Murray playing, and we finally got some length around Trae. 

If/when we upgrade our C position, you don’t think we’re easily better than last year? 

low key feel we’re already better by not having mr complains about his role and gets kicked from playoff games on our team anymore , addition by subtraction adding better vibes and more w’s in our future

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Tonight at 6PM, teams can “begin talking to FAs”.  If i recall from past offseasons, this really means you get announcements where players intend to sign.  And then they officially sign at the end of the week.  Am I remembering this correctly?

Yes, it’s gonna be Woj breaking the news immediately on who signs where.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

If all we lose is Murray/Griffin, I don’t see how we could be much worse.  We will see better flow next year.  This matters considerably.  We will also see a more clear view of Quin’s vision and preferences as a coach.

Bufkin, Dyson, and Risacher are going to be fun to watch grow.  I anticipate Quin enjoying coaching them.  

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, akay said:

Hawks were never good with just Murray playing, and we finally got some length around Trae. 

If/when we upgrade our C position, you don’t think we’re easily better than last year? 

low key feel we’re already better by not having mr complains about his role and gets kicked from playoff games on our team anymore , addition by subtraction adding better vibes and more w’s in our future

Both Trae and DJM are very talented players but they were so anti-synergistic on both ends that we would be improved just by cutting DJM or never playing them together again.  If we aren’t better next year with the #1 pick and our PG playing next to a wing, Fields will have actively undermined the team.  As critical as I have been of him getting only C level value lately, he is competent enough not to screw that up, imo.  He ****ed the team last year single spooling us defensively at SF and PF which crippled the team when Hunter and JJ were out and we are already in a better position for depth as long as he doesn’t dump quality players going forward.  Being improved given our circumstances should be super easy, barely an inconvenience.  I am 90% confident we will be significantly better when we start the season since we already are today.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Last year's Hawks were a bad team, with ill-fitting parts, and with Trae gone for a big chunk of the season, and we still won 36 games. This year we already have a better fit. And with a healthy Trae, and a likely much-improved defense, things are already looking far better than last year even without further moves.

And by the way, to get a lottery-level young talent in Daniels, two additional first round picks, and a rotation big man, for a non-star player in Dejounte Murray (we know now first-hand that he is NOT a star), in what world is that not a good return?!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I'm torn.  I do believe we're plagued by another (cl)ownership thus, by extension, the front office is capped.

I do believe they're happy this offseason has reduced costs.

However, I do think we'll be better due to subtraction and re-focusing things.

They may stumble into success then will pretend they meant to do it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm torn.  I do believe we're plagued by another (cl)ownership thus, by extension, the front office is capped.

I do believe they're happy this offseason has reduced costs.

However, I do think we'll be better due to subtraction and re-focusing things.

They may stumble into success then will pretend they meant to do it. 

As much as it seems as if Ressler is holding us back to some extent, I have to pause and give him some leeway(not a lot )due to the travesty that was ASG (🤢 🤢) but like you said, we might screw around and win something 😂 

Edited by HawksNWaffles

9 minutes ago, HawksNWaffles said:

As much as it seems as if Ressler is holding us back to some extent, I have to pause and give him some leeway(not a lot )due to the travesty that was ASG (🤢 🤢) but like you said, we might screw around and win something 😂 

I got 2 hands, bro.  One middle finger for the A$G and Toni 'n the gang. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators

Ressler’s meddling has really soured me on him but he is still much better than the ASG with their power plays, litigation, scandals, and unprecedented constraints on the GM.  Those guys take the cake for worst owners I’ve seen in any sport.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ressler’s meddling has really soured me on him but he is still much better than the ASG with their power plays, litigation, scandals, and unprecedented constraints on the GM.  Those guys take the cake for worst owners I’ve seen in any sport.

Still it’s kinda sad we have to compare the two at all. Can’t we just have an owner/ownership that in no way embarrasses us or puts us in some negative light?  Is that too much for us hawks fans to ask for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

First I must say, it's gonna be a 'no' from me, dawg (Randy Jackson voice).

But smells like CHI tryna pay somebody to take Lavine.  Is there any price they can pay that'd compel you to take Lavine and that horrid contract?

The only appeal for me would be doubling our Zacc(k)s. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

First I must say, it's gonna be a 'no' from me, dawg (Randy Jackson voice).

But smells like CHI tryna pay somebody to take Lavine.  Is there any price they can pay that'd compel you to take Lavine and that horrid contract?

The only appeal for me would be doubling our Zacc(k)s. 

Somehow this notion that ownership does not want to pay the luxury tax is lost on most fans here.  @AHF spelled it out beautifully but his efforts somehow are totally ignored.  Curious

• Thanks 1

I'm not 100% sold they won't pay the tax this year because of two reasons that haven't existed before now:

1) Trae is putting out teams he'd be interested in playing for. He's only under contract this year and next. There's a real chance he either asks out or just doesn't resign. There's real pressure to put the best team possible around him now, also because -

2) We no longer control our own picks the next 3 drafts. Going to be difficult to build a championship contender in one offseason, but have to do what we can to make sure SA doesn't get a high lottery pick. That backlash would be brutal.

But Tony has been historically cheap so I guess it won't surprise me either if we don't pay it.

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Somehow this notion that ownership does not want to pay the luxury tax is lost on most fans here.  @AHF spelled it out beautifully but his efforts somehow are totally ignored.  Curious

First, feels like I'm talking to a ghost since I thought you said you were done with this team.

Anyways, I do find it odd that folks are so vehemently behind this front office despite the volume of moves that are designed, obviously  and primarily, to help Toni save money.

I dont care how smart they supposedly are.  If they have to operate with the mandate to avoid increasing costs, they're impact is muted by the goals of (cl)ownership.

I'm sure a case can be made that the moves are basketball related.  But they still have the common theme of cost avoidance that can't be ignored. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

50 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I'm not 100% sold

How about 90%? I'll take 90%.

Look, I get it. Tony is the epitome of an ADHD owner. He changes his mind. A lot.

But on this, he's been consistent ever since the tax question really became an issue following the EC Finals visit... he claims he will pay tax, but only at that point he has confidence that the team is at Base Camp IV... everything has come together so well that there is exceptional reason for optimism that summitting Everest is within fairly easy reach.

I mean, look, until the statement made by the JC trade that True to ATL is just a sales line, I'd been arguably the most optimistic person in this community that this roster was on the cusp... effectively, at least, in the vicinity of Base Camp IV. But clearly at this point, two off-seasons and a third pending of irrefutable prioritizing off the court black ink success over on the court W/L success has had its effect, and at best... at best... this roster is incrementally descending, not ascending Everest anytime soon. (And it's a plausible argument that the roster is descending at a fairly rapid pace at this point.)

What he's telling ATL fans is, without saying it this way, "I have to get my money on the front end. This team has to be--already organically without any special help from my pile of gold--on the upswing. Once I have my money, then I can look at spending some of it... ie, so that that investment, in turn, has a chance to make me beaucoup dollars from a title."

Come to think of it, 90% feels low. You'll have to get to 95%. 🙂

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

First, feels like I'm talking to a ghost since I thought you said you were done with this team.

Anyways, I do find it odd that folks are so vehemently behind this front office despite the volume of moves that are designed, obviously  and primarily, to help Toni save money.

I dont care how smart they supposedly are.  If they have to operate with the mandate to avoid increasing costs, they're impact is muted by the goals of (cl)ownership.

I'm sure a case can be made that the moves are basketball related.  But they still have the common theme of cost avoidance that can't be ignored. 

Some have trouble reading...I said done with being a fan of this team which has nothing to do with this website.