• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Somebody pinch me.  I just agreed with FQ, so I must be dreaming. 😇

Just messin with you, @Final_quest

I actually think there are reasons to "clown ownership", I don't get into that type of dialogue, but at least be accurate.  Keeping Huerter or Collins is missing the target completely.  If you want to clown them, I think the Murray trade fueled by Nicky, or Tony killing the good JC trades is a much better target.  Letting Nicky in the room and killing deals that should have happened is where I have the biggest issue with the Ressler's.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I think Daniels and the LAL pick neutralizes the initial trade.

Daniels has a ton of potential as the teams "defensive stopper"... an elite stopper that can be on the floor with Trae and doesn't need to facilitate offense.

Lest I remind everyone that we could've used Daniels to stick on Terry Rozier when he went off for 40 points. Or the Miami Heat when stupid AF duncan robinson and Herro start draining 3's. Daniels will get on them like a junkyard dog.

The LAL pick could be amazing if the Lakers implode.

Or the Luka 73???

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yet he successfully unwound it for effectively the same return, despite DJ being on a more expensive contract.

Eh. He did ok. A few things hinge on that obviously. The return was nothing like the original. Salvaging is a damning strategy. 

5 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Look at the Center position in the East. I'd be worried against Embiid and Philly, but 75/25 chance he's injured anyways.

The great ones pick up their numbers in the playoffs.  Unfortunately for PHI, that means JoeLLLL increased this one to more like 90/10. 😁  heh, I'm gigglin' but I ain't really kidding.

The larger point you make is a salient one, imho.  I'd take it further and say the East, as a whole, is there to be had. 

• Like 2

I guess caping for the GM is another sore spot, but he kind of has to balance the budget AND try to improve the roster.  It's not easy to come out looking like Schlenk did trading for Capela and then signing Gallo and Bogi.  We don't have a full arsenal of picks and cap room.  We actually had the opposite.  

Now that he actually has some draft capital, it's gonna be interesting to see what he does.  Also, what he does with Capela and Hunter.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think there is about a 0.01% chance we make a trade for Lauri.  I don't think ownership wants to pay him next year when he will be getting more like $50M per season.  

See all the reasons they didn't want Ingram. 

13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I guess caping for the GM is another sore spot, but he kind of has to balance the budget AND try to improve the roster.  It's not easy to come out looking like Schlenk did trading for Capela and then signing Gallo and Bogi.  We don't have a full arsenal of picks and cap room.  We actually had the opposite.  

Now that he actually has some draft capital, it's gonna be interesting to see what he does.  Also, what he does with Capela and Hunter.  

Who said the job was easy? 

More importantly, is 'cape-ing' a word?  Let's petition Websters to add it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yet he successfully unwound it for effectively the same return, despite DJ being on a more expensive contract.

he came to us with only 2 years left on his contract at 16%. We traded him locked up long term safely on a contract that is currently at 20% of the cap. By the time there are 2 years left, it will likely be under 16% of the cap. And the fact that we traded him locked in at 4 years as opposed to 2 years with risk of him leaving; we should have been able to come away with more than we gave up. 

You're not going to change my mind that Landry sucks. Sorry. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, warcore said:

he came to us with only 2 years left on his contract at 16%. We traded him locked up long term safely on a contract that is currently at 20% of the cap. By the time there are 2 years left, it will likely be under 16% of the cap. And the fact that we traded him locked in at 4 years as opposed to 2 years with risk of him leaving; we should have been able to come away with more than we gave up. 

You ain't by yourself on that thought. IMG_4011.gif.8b390d0ad9e27462cb8f8d10601f8cfb.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, warcore said:

Hey, everyone has an opinion. That's cool. No issue with it.

Mine is that they tried to get better with DJM and failed. Now they pivoted from that mistake and got a return for DJM that is universally considered fair if not outright good by nba folks.  And as a bonus they made the team better with defense and length to build around Trae. Smart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Now they pivoted from that mistake and got a return for DJM that is universally considered fair if not outright good by nba folks.

To me this suggests that whatever the national media puts out, you believe. 

I don't believe the media's narrative that it was great for us. Looks like they're trying to make Landry think he's doing a good job so they brainwash him into trading Trae to LAL. 

NOP is now a contender for the next several years. 

• Haha 1

There's a world where the Hawks could trade for Ayton and Lauri.  I'd actually be for it.  We poo poo upgrades around here. Unfortunately, we need to start lifting the floor of this team to get unflawed players to want to come here. Lauri and Ayton both fit Trae.

Ayton - Fixes the rebounding problem and is a really good pick and roll big when shipping Capela out.

Lauri - 2nd wing scoring option that stretches the floor because we shipped Murray out.

What about the defense you say?  We only need to be slightly above putrid with the following lineup.

1. Trae, Bufkin/Vet pg

2. Daniels/Bogi/Matthews

3. Lauri/Hunter/Riz

4. JJ/Mo Gueye

5. Ayton/OO/ vet min big

The above team is below or right at the tax with a couple of vet minimums.

This team has better fits and probably a top 6 team in the east.

I got this by, trading Capela to Okc for one of their first round picks.  Take on Ayton from Portland for their Miami first round pick - highly protected.  Send those to Utah plus the 2027 swap for Lauri which is an overpay, but doesn't leave the Hawks cupboard bare. Still have 2025 Lakers and Sacramento picks.

Also leaves flexibility- if Lauri is great, you can consider resigning him or a do a sign and trade with a team that wants him for a max.  

You could ship out Hunter and Bogi if need be to clear out cap space.

Also can ship out all three to clear out playing time for Cooper Flagg (I'm going to speak it into existence.) and Riz.

image.thumb.png.bb074ae3c4fa790de66aea491cbe695c.png

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, warcore said:

To me this suggests that whatever the national media puts out, you believe. 

I don't believe the media's narrative that it was great for us. Looks like they're trying to make Landry think he's doing a good job so they brainwash him into trading Trae to LAL. 

NOP is now a contender for the next several years. 

The deal did a fairly good job erasing the damage of moving our picks in the original Spurs deal though.

Hawks 2025 > LAL 2025

Hawks 2027 > Pels/Bucks 2027

Knicks FRP> Daniels

Gallo > Nance

Pick Swap TBD (we could be better and there isn’t a swap)

+ Liddel

Was it "win now," I don't think so, but I really like Daniels as a POA defender and Nance as a b/u PF when we didn't have one last season. We did, however, gain picks in the drafts we lost them in. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

See all the reasons they didn't want Ingram. 

Who said the job was easy? 

More importantly, is 'cape-ing' a word?  Let's petition Websters to add it. 

Nope, it’s not easy.  So far I think Landry is clearing the bar with no home runs.  Stuff has looked underwhelming because he’s mostly been cleaning up mistakes.  
Only possible home runs so far are Dyson Daniels or one of his draft picks.  But not many big swings have been taken yet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

The deal did a fairly good job erasing the damage of moving our picks in the original Spurs deal though.

Hawks 2025 > LAL 2025

Hawks 2027 > Pels/Bucks 2027

Knicks FRP> Daniels

Gallo > Nance

Pick Swap TBD (we could be better and there isn’t a swap)

+ Liddel

Was it "win now," I don't think so, but I really like Daniels as a POA defender and Nance as a b/u PF when we didn't have one last season. We did, however, gain picks in the drafts we lost them in. 

In 2025 and 2027 we get to see if we can make the pick we get better than the one we give.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

Kings are talking to us about removing the protections for the 2025 pick so they can then trade future firsts. We would be the third team. The Kings are trying to find someone to push them into a serious playoff spot.

Capela and Hunter are being shopped and there's interest there. Teams like OKC can offer some of their treasure chest of firsts they literally can't use all of them, same with Jazz as they will soon be having to move picks because of roster space if nothing else.

I keep thinking the team is wanting to pursue another scorer but it feels as if my sources are saying if that were to happen it would only be at the center position. Meaning the team feels fine with the SG position being up for grabs between Bogi, Daniels and behind them minutes for Bufkin when he's not backing up Trae at PG.

The team really thinks that they have significantly improved the team's defense by getting ZR, Daniels and Nance as a quasi tough guy off the bench. Nance might still be moved on but it feels as if he's going to stay on the roster.

So no Risacher at the 2 huh?  :sad:

His length wont be an advantage at all at the 3.. Geez

• Like 2