• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2024-25 Insider Thread

AHF

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You just can't see past his height.  

No I can't see past his poor rebounding.

I'm not about the height. I'd prefer Jarred Allen over OO. He rebounds like crazy and is only 1 inch taller.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Missed that.  I'm in the process of starting a new office and today is my first day at that new office.  

Smh.  Wheres your priorities, kb? 😉

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

There's only so much getting someone better can do in the playoffs. You need people with legit talent that can get their own shot.  The only players on the team that have shown that reliaby is Bogi and Trae.  I'm trying to win now so bring on the talent.

I hope Jalen and Bufkin can make that leap as well.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have no doubt he can make everyone else better, but he also isn't playing a full 48 minutes. Or he may have games where he doesn't have 'it'.   Or when teams blitz him at halfcourt. We need to find a balance.

Or this will be everyone once again complaining that Trae is a ball hog.

I'm hoping JJ and Bufkin take the next step 

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Eh, literally every decent coach in the league will sniff this out in the playoffs.  Better players than Trae have been hampered one way or another in series. 

It's not really an option to have another materially weak defender in the starting lineup, so while all of these comments have merit, we will never win anything if we don't have 4 plus defenders on the court with Trae.  That's just the reality of building around Trae.  There's a reason teams like Indiana flame out hard in the playoffs.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

I'd rather play Bufkin and Daniels to be honest. I know Delon is a vet, but.... we got two younger versions at home.

Yes — Bufkin and Daniels are going to be nice surprises this year.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ingram might get Sacramento into the playoffs as a play in, but he's not going to lift that team to high levels.  Ingram doesn't play winning basketball.  He's a me first player who has to get his numbers.  

An improved Sac could also force the Lakers into the lottery. There's benefits to us helping facilitate that deal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

No I can't see past his poor rebounding.

Except that it isn't poor.  8.5 RPG as a starter.  That's not poor.  That's pretty good considering how the perimeter defense was taking him out of ideal rebounding position.  

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

An improved Sac could also force the Lakers into the lottery. There's benefits to us helping facilitate that deal.

I'm expecting that.  Houston may push them down as well.  

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It's not really an option to have another materially weak defender in the starting lineup, so while all of these comments have merit, we will never win anything if we don't have 4 plus defenders on the court with Trae.  That's just the reality of building around Trae.  There's a reason teams like Indiana flame out hard in the playoffs.  

You can have four plus defenders with Trae, but you better have that second option as well.  That's what roster construction is all about.  Acquire the most talent and the coach can make it work.  We lacked depth and POA defenders last year.  We have a couple now and that will make a big difference.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Except that it isn't poor.  8.5 RPG as a starter.  That's not poor.  That's pretty good considering how the perimeter defense was taking him out of ideal rebounding position.  

I'm expecting that.  Houston may push them down as well.  

It is poor compared to this who is only 1 inch taller.

image.thumb.png.43024bf703e75ef8718ac7a00db8a1c9.png

8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

My only pushback is that there has to be a middle ground between having only Trae+defense and being the abomination that IND is.

Admittedly, I prefer the latter and hope we stumble into a competent 2nd option along the way. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3

Just now, marco102 said:

It is poor compared to this who is only 1 inch taller.

image.thumb.png.43024bf703e75ef8718ac7a00db8a1c9.png

...and with Allen, you lose all of the versatility that Okongwu brings to the table on both ends of the floor.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

...and with Allen, you lose all of the versatility that Okongwu brings to the table on both ends of the floor.  

Well you accused me of not liking OO for his height. Just showing, I don't need 7 footers I need good rebounders.  For all his versatility if teams are getting second and third chances that makes our defense worse. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Well you accused me of not liking OO for his height. Just showing, I don't need 7 footers I need good rebounders.  For all his versatility if teams are getting second and third chances that makes our defense worse. 

Realize that those second and third chances are more because Deandre Hunter and Dejounte Murray can't contain the ball on the perimeter and get Jalen and Onyeka out of position on the boards.  Plus, DeAndre Hunter is the guy who is actually a piss poor rebounder, not Okongwu.  Okongwu has been right around 20% with his defensive rebounding percentage through his career.  With improved perimeter defense, that will go up into the 23-25% range.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Realize that those second and third chances are more because Deandre Hunter and Dejounte Murray can't contain the ball on the perimeter and get Jalen and Onyeka out of position on the boards.  Plus, DeAndre Hunter is the guy who is actually a piss poor rebounder, not Okongwu.  Okongwu has been right around 20% with his defensive rebounding percentage through his career.  With improved perimeter defense, that will go up into the 23-25% range.  

Hunter doesn't even try to rebound.  If you focus in and watch him only every possession, you'll see him jogging to the other end of the court as soon as guys shoot.  Or he just stands and ball watches, whatever requires the least amount of energy and effort.  Always said if you gave him Saddiq's motor he'd be a perennial all-star, but I've stopped hoping he will change

Just now, JeffS17 said:

The longer we go without trading Hunter and Capela, the more confident I feel we're not settling for peanuts.  Or maybe the longer we go the more desperate we are, or maybe we take so long "we're happy with our roster".  Definitely depends on your perspective

That's the two players who stick out like hurt thumbs as far as fit with the vision of the team goes.  Neither are switchable or versatile defenders.  Capela is a good defender at doing what he does, but I feel like the Hawks want more versatility on defense and offense than either one gives.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If OO is a backup, the Hawks are a better team.  This isn't me saying I don't like OO. I'm saying if we can upgrade the front court with a better two way player, then do it.  Then you can mix and match as needed.  I'm not caught up on who starts or whatever.  Just bring in the talent so we have excellent depth.

hace 27 minutos, KB21 dijo:

None of them help this team out defensively.  We don't need to trade out poor perimeter defense for poor interior defense.  It's two steps forward and two steps back.  Y'all don't realize how good Okongwu is going to be defensively now that the Hawks have much better ball containment on the perimeter.  

Okongwu cannot play all, Capela is going to be traded and I think he needs to be traded and Bamba and Wagner are not bad defensively, Bamba is a rim protector and Wagner is not bad defensively. Having a 7 footer that can stretch the floor Will do wonders for this team.