• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJ Griffin Traded

JayBirdHawk

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Heard rumors his family is in legal trouble, which is why he's been out physically and mentally.  I highly doubt he had any value around the league, which is pretty clear based on this trade.

You invested in him. Unless it's unfixable, keep him. Rehab him. He seems to me working out and trying to get it back together. 

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Can't comment on the family situation or his in public mental health issues. Just know there's a lot of stuff not related to basketball he has been dealing with. I pray he will be ok and plays up to his potential.

We got the best value we could get for AJ. I think fans sometimes have this idea there's all these options for a team to choose and they just choose the worst one for some reason. It is what it is. 

Fair analysis and good points.

hope the best for him and his family whatever is going on.

• Like 1

Just now, Afro said:

My question is... 

If he was *never* a fit in Quinns system, why was he here all of last year in the first place? 

Nobody was talking last offseason like his value was a mid 2nd. 

Part of that is Hawks DNA. We ruin players value and then trade them for Skittles. Remember Hawks DNA.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dealt with family issues, mental problems, some locker room troubles with a particular player so I hear, health issues, but most importantly never fit Quin and his system. Was good under Nate but terrible under Quin. His time was always gonna run out in Atlanta. Thats the best they could get for him

I don't think I could have said it better myself

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

My question is... 

If he was *never* a fit in Quinns system, why was he here all of last year in the first place? 

Nobody was talking last offseason like his value was a mid 2nd. 

I think this is a good time to point out that when a trade happens is not a reflection of how long the trade talks have been going on. They tried to trade him for all of last season and came close at various times but his health remained poor last year and that is a big hurdle for these transactions 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I think this is a good time to point out that when a trade happens is not a reflection of how long the trade talks have been going on. They tried to trade him for all of last season and came close at various times but his health remained poor last year and that is a big hurdle for these transactions 

Another player where they couldn't get a trade done until his value was basically nothing? 

Why am I not surprised lol. 

I get what yall are saying. But this isn't good. We will just keep getting bad value until we have nothing left I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

Another player where they couldn't get a trade done until his value was basically nothing? 

Why am I not surprised lol. 

I get what yall are saying. But this isn't good. We will just keep getting bad value until we have nothing left I guess. 

His value peaked playing with Nate. It took a while to find out he wouldn’t work with Quin, so by the time they figured that out and tried to trade him, but his value was literally nothing since he was out for personal reasons.
Sounds like they were only now able to move on from him now since his value has moved up to “next to nothing” as more time has passed since he was out for an extended period of time.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dealt with family issues, mental problems, some locker room troubles with a particular player so I hear, health issues, but most importantly never fit Quin and his system. Was good under Nate but terrible under Quin. His time was always gonna run out in Atlanta. Thats the best they could get for him

He barely played under Quin.  I'm skeptical that Garrison Mathews could flourish  under Quin but there was no chance AJ could ever contribute after showing he can be a lethal scorer under Nate.  I refuse to believe Snyder isn't smart enough to figure out how to deploy him.

The off-the-court stuff is where my head is at.  But talk about selling low.  I'm not surprised when you trade him right now that this was the best they could do.  I'm guessing this means they didn't see him returning to basketball this season but I guess we'll see.

It makes me sad to see from a personal standpoint for the young man and as a Hawks fan.  Wish him the best in Houston.  Hope he can get things back on track.

• Thanks 2