• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJ Griffin Traded

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He has a much greater chance panning out somewhere else, than Cam did.

IDK man at least Cam could defend  when he wanted to.. AJ looks like he has on cement shoes moving laterally...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, terrell said:

IDK man at least Cam could defend  when he wanted to.. AJ looks like he has on cement shoes moving laterally...

And yet as a rookie over 1400 minutes the team scored 0.5 points more per hundred possessions and gave up 2.8 fewer points for a net +3.3 rating.  He has a positive role he could fill on a lot of teams if he just returned to his rookie form. If he matures and develops over time he could be a really important piece of the puzzle.  Primarily about what is happening between the ears, imo.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Really unfortunate AJ was a bit of a head case and has a bunch of off-court issues to deal with.  Pretty clear his focus has been everywhere but basketball and his value is completely trash.  Sucks we got a single peanut for him but I get the need to open a roster slot and salary for other players that will actually be on the court.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'm not mad AJ is gone, I'm mad that selling our former top 15 draft picks for pennies at their absolute nadir of value is the MO around this organization. 

Well it's not really the teams fault. He was fine his rookie year and was very promising but then went mental after that and was never the same player. At least we got something tangible for him.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Well it's not really the teams fault. He was fine his rookie year and was very promising but then went mental after that and was never the same player. At least we got something tangible for him.

It was the team's fault if they didn't plan to play him last year.  Quin hard benched him after he took over the prior season.  If they didn't plan to have him as a big part of the rotation, that would have been the right time to shop him hard coming off a 1400 minute season where he shot 39% from deep and where the team had a lot of success when he was on the floor.  Him not playing much the next year would have tanked his value regardless.  All the off-court stuff I'd assume wasn't foreseeable so that really isn't something the FO can be blamed for.  If they were planning on him being a long-term piece, then I'd wonder if they truly think he is done as a basketball player.  Because otherwise it would be best to let him return and then flip him when he has reestablished his value.

Sometimes cutting your losses is the right move and I can't say they are wrong for doing that here.  That to me is based on the conclusion that he won't be back anytime soon.  We'll see whether that is correct when the season starts in Houston.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, swanlee said:

He was reportedly in the deal with Hunter for Siakam, which means there was some level of moving on from him. They should have traded him at his highest at that point if he was not going to be apart of the rotation. They tanked his value hard with the DNPs.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They tanked his value hard with the DNPs.

You guys are accusing the front office of tanking his value when it was actually AJ Griffin that tanked his own value, for reasons either in his control or out of his control -- we don't have all the details.  But I feel pretty confident him playing more games putting up 10 points per 36 minutes on 29% / 26% splits wasn't going to increase his value.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

You guys are accusing the front office of tanking his value when it was actually AJ Griffin that tanked his own value, for reasons either in his control or out of his control -- we don't have all the details.  But I feel pretty confident him playing more games putting up 10 points per 36 minutes on 29% / 26% splits wasn't going to increase his value.

I think you need to reread my post.  I also think we have a long history of his shooting and know those were SSS outliers.  He has been an elite shooter his entire career and was over 1400 minutes as a rookie.  He wasn't over 171 minutes last year.

But if Quin fully intended to play AJ 20 mpg or something last year and then all the offseason stuff blew up that plan then I don't blame them.  His head not being in a good place is the most logical reason to me for why he was away from the team for so long and why he struggled when he was on the floor.  That isn't something a coach or GM should be expected to anticipate.  (But if we weren't planning on him being a significant part of the rotation then I still blame the FO for not moving him last offseason.)  The only question then is whether now is the right time to move him and it may well be if he isn't going to be fit for duty anytime soon.  For that, we'll see what he does in Houston.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, AHF said:

I think you need to reread my post.  I also think we have a long history of his shooting and know those were SSS outliers.  He has been an elite shooter his entire career and was over 1400 minutes as a rookie.  He wasn't over 171 minutes last year.

But if Quin fully intended to play AJ 20 mpg or something last year and then all the offseason stuff blew up that plan then I don't blame them.  The only question then is whether now is the right time to move him and it may well be if he isn't going to be fit for duty anytime soon.  For that, we'll see what he does in Houston.

I realize you can't predict a lot of things but I'm more pissed that he was a bad pick at #16.  That's fairly high to have so little value just 2 years later.  

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I realize you can't predict a lot of things but I'm more pissed that he was a bad pick at #16.  That's fairly high to have so little value just 2 years later.  

I don't blame anyone for the off-court stuff and I still think he has a lot of potential if his head is screwed on right so I'm not a critic of the pick.  I think he justified the scouting done on him with his rookie performance.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't blame anyone for the off-court stuff and I still think he has a lot of potential if his head is screwed on right so I'm not a critic of the pick.  I think he justified the scouting done on him with his rookie performance.

That's part of the calculus of the pick though right?  That's why Filipowski fell, that's why we didn't take Sarr (supposedly).  Heck that's why Jalen was available late.   You'd think there were concerns but there again I have no idea so probably shouldn't be talking about it. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That's part of the calculus of the pick though right?  That's why Filipowski fell, that's why we didn't take Sarr (supposedly).  Heck that's why Jalen was available late.   You'd think there were concerns but there again I have no idea so probably shouldn't be talking about it. 

I think the big mystery box with AJ was his injury history not his off-the-court issues.  Filipowski's off-the-court stuff is very different from AJ as it was known prior to the draft and so could and should be expected to be evaluated and factored in by the GM.  I see blaming the GM for AJ's last year as akin to blaming a GM for Nick Anderson getting the yips.  You just can't predict that and didn't have a reason to suspect it.

Jalen had a combination of injury issues and potential attitude issues after he was benched at Duke and left the team.  I wouldn't really say there was a red flag on his mental health.  I would differentiate that and say it is more along the lines of a player being accused of being selfish.

AJ was a head case that needed a change of scenery and was never going to repeat his rookie year here. The fact we got anything for him is great as letting him walk might have been a real option that helped the team. We are better without AJ taking a roster spot while AJ figures out what he wants to do with his life

We got Bogie JR for him who can learn from Bogie SR. Good value for AJ

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 2

• Moderators
On 6/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, swanlee said:

AJ was a head case that needed a change of scenery and was never going to repeat his rookie year here. The fact we got anything for him is great as letting him walk might have been a real option that helped the team. We are better without AJ taking a roster spot while AJ figures out what he wants to do with his life

We got Bogie JR for him who can learn from Bogie SR. Good value for AJ

A fraction of the value you get for him last summer or if he returns to form.  I’m not negative on this trade, though, if we intended for him to be a big part of the rotation last year and he blew up on us leaving us in the current position.  Quin benched him during his rookie year after taking over so if he intended to bench him again last year the issue is more that we missed the window.  (I don’t blame the FO for not predicting his mental wellness challenges last year under either scenario.)

Can't blame the GM for how this draft pick turned out.  He may snap out of whatever is holding him back and have a very good career.  I wish him well and hope that the draft pick we obtained for him becomes a good Hawk.

Don't blame the GM or scouts for how things turn out.  I remember, several seasons ago, a team grabbed a great player as their 1st pick.  Everyone was elated.  Three days after the draft he died of an overdose.  🥲

AJ Griffin has his future in his own hands right now.  His mental state must be all right.  Some mental things we can control and some we can't. Only time will tell.

:smug:

• Like 1