AJ Griffin Traded

JayBirdHawk

Just now, ShayD said:

He just had a nice putback dunk.

If AJ looks like a good player, and hawks gave him away for a 2nd round pick then idk

Wont matter is Djurisic looks better................😀

5 minutes ago, terrell said:

Wont matter is Djurisic looks better................😀

AJ does have 1 proven good year in the NBA. I doubt Djurisic gets a run this season. Unless he is a beast in summer league and training camp

18 minutes ago, ShayD said:

AJ does have 1 proven good year in the NBA. I doubt Djurisic gets a run this season. Unless he is a beast in summer league and training camp

Doesn't have to be this season...Just overall..

I doubt AJ gets alot of run in Houston this season behind Green ,Reed, Whitmore, Thomson, etc......

But who knows

Edited by terrell

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Really sad.  The guy was so impressive as a rookie.  He seems to not be able to get past the personal stuff.  I hope he gets back on track and makes a return at some point, he's only 21, but once you are out of the league it is very difficult to get back in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hope all is well with him and his family. 

8 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Really sad.  The guy was so impressive as a rookie.  He seems to not be able to get past the personal stuff.  I hope he gets back on track and makes a return at some point, he's only 21, but once you are out of the league it is very difficult to get back in.

Well said.  Every bit of it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

Yeah I remember that Mavs rookie guard that walked away a few years ago, after 2 seasons iirc.  Hasn't been heard from since. 

I'm in no position to suggest anything as I have no idea what they're facing.  I also don't have a background in the mental health space.  Just as a layman, I can't imagine quitting your job makes it easier unless the job is what's causing the pain. 

That said, I can imagine they're facing pressure to perform.  And, despite how 'understanding' the teams claim to be, there's a shelf life on it.

• Like 2

Sidenote, do you guys think that we potentially had any knowledge of AJ wanting to leave the game, and presumptively initiated the trade before he got to that point as a Hawk? Would we have had to disclose any mental health concerns before trading him to the Rockets?

I just don’t want a story to come out claiming we knowingly sold them damaged goods (respectfully) and as such we get docked with a punishment.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Sidenote, do you guys think that we potentially had any knowledge of AJ wanting to leave the game, and presumptively initiated the trade before he got to that point as a Hawk? Would we have had to disclose any mental health concerns before trading him to the Rockets?

I just don’t want a story to come out claiming we knowingly sold them damaged goods (respectfully) and as such we get docked with a punishment.

I'm pretty sure the Rockets would've done their due diligence getting background info on AJ before trading for him. I think they thought the gamble of trading the 43rd pick in the draft for a former top 16 pick would've been worth taking. It sucks that he wants to step away from the game, but I would not hold the Hawks responsible for any shady business here.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Who didn’t know his mental health was an issue after last year?  I’m sure his mental health is why he was given away for such a nothing return.  Getting that right will pay more dividends for him in life than just basketball.  I’m rooting for him.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

[] we all knew he was damaged goods and had several screws loose in his head.   Pretty sure Houston could've figured that out as well.

and btw, I call dibbs on drafting him in the next dead pool.

12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I have no doubt we knew this was possible.  But I don't doubt HOU knew as well.

• Like 2

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, shakes said:

look on the bright side, Hawks finally fleeced another team in a trade!

They gave up what the 45th pick in the draft?  That is such a low price that they either get a windfall from him returning or they write off a second round pick.  Looking at Houston's draft history, it looks like they place very little value on second round picks.  2017 is the last time I'm seeing that they actually kept their second round pick.

• Premium Member

I remember after his rookie season AJ was damn near untouchable, and the steal of the draft.  Toronto fans were talking about him as a centerpiece in a Siakam deal.  

Hard to believe he fell that far so fast.  I hope he gets everything straightened out with his family.  The guy is very talented.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

2nd round picks are close to lottery tickets.  Houston gave one up and gambled with AJ turning things around.  He’s so young he could change his mind in 3-6 months and be a solid player

Haha, I read this as "lotto picks".  I was like, whaaa? 😆

• Haha 2